Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Dryer (Model # 82142101) Won't Start or Turn On

Kenmore Dryer Start Motor Dryer wont start Humming 417.82142101 Wont Turn On

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 GonzagaMadMan

GonzagaMadMan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:13 PM

I have a Kenmore Dryer, Model # 82142101, that suddenly stopped turning on. When I turn the Start knob there is only a humming sound that lasts as long as the knob is turned. The dryer won't turn on at all.

Here is what I have done so far:

1. I have opened the top lid on the cabinet and was able to turn the drum with my hand

2. I have checked the belt it seems to be just fine (as it should be since I recently replaced it)

3. I have removed the belt from the pulley on the motor and tried starting the dryer to see if the motor would turn on and it does not change anything, therefore I believe that this removes any issues with the drum/belt binding with something

4. I removed the front panel of the dryer and cleaned out the lint and dirt that was there. I also turned the blower fan blades and they move although I'm not sure how freely they should spin.

5. I checked the thermal fuse, although I am not an electrician and I can't guarantee that I did it properly I believe I did (I did watch the video on repair clinic) and their appears to be continuity (used the audible feature on the meter and it was very audible)

6. Since there is a humming sound when I turn the start knob I believe that the start switch is NOT the culprit.

7. There is an audible click when I close the dryer door and since the start switch is working then I believe that the door switch is, again, NOT the culprit.

Therefore, am I safe to assume that it is related to either the blower or the motor? If not, what else could it be?

Either way, how should I proceed to check the possible culprits?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:20 PM

looks like your missing the first 3 numbers of your model number, should be 110, 417 or 796???

#3 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

Correct model # should be 417.82142101.

Did you check your house fuses or circuit breakers? This is an electric dryer and you will have two 30 amp circuit breakers of fuses. If just one of them is open, you will have power to one side of the line.

Scott Wolf

#4 GonzagaMadMan

GonzagaMadMan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

I am sorry for excluding the first 3 digits of the model #, which is 417

I double-checked the house circuit breaker and there is nothing blown there. The 2 30amp circuits are linked together so if 1 blows they both trip.

#5 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:53 PM

I double-checked the house circuit breaker and there is nothing blown there. The 2 30amp circuits are linked together so if 1 blows they both trip.

Sometimes one will partly trip and not the other. You should turn them both off and back on again.

Then, if it doesn't start open the door and see if the drum turns freely by hand.

Test

#6 GonzagaMadMan

GonzagaMadMan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

I already reset the circuit breakers and that didn't fix anything. As for the drum turning, I was able to turn the drum both with and without the belt attached to the pulley. How freely should it turn?

#7 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

Indications point to an internal failure of the drive motor Part number: 131560100

Part number: 131560100
Double check the terminal block where the power cord attaches to the unit for damage that may interfere with proper voltage. On earlier models, I've seen the drive motor continue to run even on units with completely worn if not destroyed rear and front drum bearings.

#8 GonzagaMadMan

GonzagaMadMan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:52 PM

So basically I need to remove the motor, replace it with a new one and see if that works?

#9 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:05 PM

Double check the terminal block where the power cord attaches to the unit for damage that may interfere with proper voltage. 

yep

Edited by tpoindexter, 30 April 2014 - 11:06 PM.

Test

#10 GonzagaMadMan

GonzagaMadMan

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

I replaced the motor with a new one and it works however now there is a constant squeaking noise that is absolutely unbearable, especially considering that the laundry closet is located in the hallway right outside the doors of everyone's bedroom I have to make it stop. Any suggestions?

#11 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:22 PM

Look at the rear bearing and grease it up or change it.  Part number: AP2142648

Part number: AP2142648

also check and oil idler pulley or change  Part number: AP3886900

Part number: AP3886900

Doc

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 03 May 2014 - 05:14 AM.

#12 richseattle56

richseattle56

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Coors Light or Vodka

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

You can also get the dryer maintenance kit Part # 

Part number: 5304457724

Part number: 5304457724

It comes with the front felts, the belt, pulley, bearing kit, and instructions. Just good to do it all at the same time. If you can reach your hand inside and push up on the drum, if it moves more than 1/8" your felts need to be replaced. Takes about an hour to install the whole kit.

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 05 May 2014 - 07:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics