Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

whirlpool dryer leq8858hq1 intermittently not heating up enough

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dave42

dave42

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:42 PM

We have renters in our condo who are just leaving after 2 months. The wife told me that she has noticed that on occasion....not all the time, the dryer (Whirlpool LEQ8858HQ1) took forever to dry. She said when things were on sensor dry, it did not work at all. She would put things on timed dry and once or twice had to resort to drying one bed sheet at a time.

It sounds like this does not happen all the time though. They are leaving Mon, and we are arriving Tues. my first thought is that the vent hose may have a blockage or partial blockage. Will check on that first. We are in 12 story building and are on 7th fl. Dryers vent through roof.

I am at a loss as to what else it could be as a bad element or thermostat would not allow any heat, wouldn't it? Thanks. Dave

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 KurtiusInterupptus

KurtiusInterupptus

B.M.F.

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Killians Red

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

We are in 12 story building and are on 7th fl. Dryers vent through roof.

not sure how this works...50"+ straight up? Would prolly need a booster fan at least. I would def run a load or two with the vent disconnected and see how it performs.
As every cockroach knows , thriving on poisons is the secret of success.

#3 dave42

dave42

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

Yes. There is a fan that boosts the exhaust. Will give it a try.

#4 dave42

dave42

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:38 AM

I took it all apart and everything looks fine. Heats up very quickly. I removed lint chute and cleaned it well. Blower wheel turns fine. One question I have is where the large black lint chute fits to vent, the foam seal is shot. Can I just buy adhesive foam weatherstripping from hardware store or is this a special heat resistant one? Whirlpool part # is Part number: 339956

Part number: 339956

. Thanks

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 07 May 2014 - 10:16 PM.

#5 dave42

dave42

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:27 AM

Actually, I am adding to my previous post. I reassembled dryer with new foam weatherstripping from hardware store. Everything went together perfectly. While lint chute/duct was out, I spun fan. It spun well on motor shaft. I also carefully started dryer, and fan turned well and blew a lot of dust around laundry room. After putting everything back together and hooking up dryer, I opened the door and ran it. I put my hand in front of each opening in back of drum. How much air should I feel blowing around inside dryer? I did not feel much airflow. It was definitely hot though. Thanks.

#6 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:43 PM

You should not run the dryer with the door open...

This will cause your air to not flow through your heating element, which causes other parts to fail.

#7 dave42

dave42

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:19 AM

Oh. I did not know that. Good to know. Thanks. Well, I washed 2 beach towels and was going to perform an experiment. I put one in dryer for 45 min on high. If it came out wet, I was going to put second one in with vent hose disconnected. First one came out completely dry after 45 min. Have now put second one in for 30 min. Will see how it comes out. Will also put in larger load of wash later in week. But it sounds OK to me so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics