Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Duet dryer smells

whirlpool dryer mildew

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pamzella

Pamzella

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:31 AM

I have a Whirlpool Duet Steam dryer purchased new in January 2013.  (Can't find the model # in the dark.)

We have had an intermittent but annoying problem with clothes smelling like mildew.  We were blaming being left in the washer etc. but I just opened up the dryer to check on a half dry load and the smell is quite strong-- I think it's coming from the dryer!  The vent is just about 8' to the outdoors and I replaced it and keep it clean, I clean the lint trap every load and when I do some of our fluffy bath towels, I check in the middle.

It's not happening on the steam refresh I sometimes use, it's regular clothes/towels under "normal" drying conditions.  

Any suggestions what I should check/what I could do?  I leave the door cracked open a lot.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,084 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 01 May 2014 - 12:38 AM

Sounds like it could be your washer smelling. Ran any cleaner through it lately???

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:45 PM

Could be a leak issue, depending on your model.  You could remove the cabinet top panel and inspect the valve, hose, steam unit if applicable.  Feel around the rear drum felt seal for dampness.

Most dryer odor issues are due to problems with the exhaust venting.  Severely blocked vents can accumulate moisture in the vent hose.  Missing or stuck open dampers in the external vent housing may allow unwanted guests access to nest, die, etc.

#4 Pamzella

Pamzella

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:27 PM

I have an older washer (you guys have helped me repair it here) that's a top loader, in exposing the drum I didn't see anything/smell anything, but just for the hell of it, I'll run a cleaner through.

PDuff, I realize this isn't my model but would I see the steam parts taking off the top panel, or do I need to go farther?  I was watching this:  

#5 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:09 PM

The smell could possibly be a deceased rodent of some kind in the system. 

#6 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:51 PM

lol.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#7 Pamzella

Pamzella

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:55 PM

It's not the smell of death, though-- it's certainly mildew.  Like as clothes warm up on the body it gets worse, or if you shove your face in a towel while drying.  I *thought* maybe it was leaving clothes in the washer overnight and transferring them to the dryer, but as I suspected it, I both rushed to get things to the dryer and smelled the clothes coming out of the washer and didn't smell it.

I have had rodents of unusual size die under my house and in a wall.  My car once broke down in the mountains by a select piece of former deer.  I know this smell. If it was that smell, we would have burned the clothes or maybe the whole house down by now. ;)

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,817 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 02 May 2014 - 08:48 AM

Read this and ye shall live:  9 Ways to Beat Odor Problems in Modern High-Efficiency Front Load and Top Load Washers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics