Emboldened by my recent washer success (thanks to all your help) I would like to send another washer issue your way (If this is too soon, please let me know and I'll post somewhere else, but hey, what can I say, you guys are the best).
My friend's washer has not been working for awhile and I told her I'd have a look so I went to her house last week to have a look. A week ago today she told me that her husband had developed a brain stem bleed that morning and was in ICU (he has since been moved to a regular room but has a long way to go). In light of this, I want to do everything I can to lighten her load (so to speak) and cut down the time she has to be away from hubby or kids at the laundromat (also the money which they will need for other things right now). Any help would be a huge blessing!
Symptoms are that it agitates and spins (sometimes; other times it just buzzes and doesn't do anything) and sometimes during agitation or a spin, it'll just stop rather abruptly (probably a brake issue) and just make a hum/buzz noise. One time it tried to start again, but stopped almost immediately. Other times I've been able to get it to start again, but usually it just buzzes.
Here's what I've done so far:
- I replaced agitator dogs as they were worn to nubs.
- I checked the pump and found a couple of underwires (from a previous owner) stuck in the pump; I took those out, nothing else was stuck in pump, washer pumped fine after I did that.
- The drive couplers are ok for now, I see them needing to be replaced down the road at some point.
- I tested the capacitor, but don't know how to interpret the results so took a video of the process (the numbers started higher, then counted down to infinity; when I switched sides, it when from a negative number to infinity, not sure what that means)
- Drive block is visibly ok, but didn't take the tub out to be 100% sure. The ears of basket drive are visible and drive block is not stripped.
- I verified that all connections (to motor, speed selector, lid switch) were snugly connected.
- I ran the machine with the pump disconnected from the motor and it spun fine.
Here are the vids that I took of testing and her machine acting up:
https://www.youtube....h?v=4cRPVJiSmjU (Wash cycle stops midway)
https://www.youtube....h?v=IWsDc_1XkUk (Spin cycle stops abruptly, tries to restart)
https://www.youtube....h?v=r9GW-euFzz0 (Spin cycle stops abruptly, go to 0:23 for stop)
https://www.youtube....h?v=-Yagdnor0SQ (Testing capacitor)
https://drive.google....it?usp=sharing (This is a picture of the inside of the motor switch)