Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore 11092596100 stops with a jerk while agitating or spinning

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 strudles

strudles

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:45 PM

Emboldened by my recent washer success (thanks to all your help) I would like to send another washer issue your way (If this is too soon, please let me know and I'll post somewhere else, but hey, what can I say, you guys are the best).

My friend's washer has not been working for awhile and I told her I'd have a look so I went to her house last week to have a look. A week ago today she told me that her husband had developed a brain stem bleed that morning and was in ICU (he has since been moved to a regular room but has a long way to go). In light of this, I want to do everything I can to lighten her load (so to speak) and cut down the time she has to be away from hubby or kids at the laundromat (also the money which they will need for other things right now). Any help would be a huge blessing!

Symptoms are that it agitates and spins (sometimes; other times it just buzzes and doesn't do anything) and sometimes during agitation or a spin, it'll just stop rather abruptly (probably a brake issue) and just make a hum/buzz noise. One time it tried to start again, but stopped almost immediately. Other times I've been able to get it to start again, but usually it just buzzes.

Here's what I've done so far:

• I replaced agitator dogs as they were worn to nubs.
  • I checked the pump and found a couple of underwires (from a previous owner) stuck in the pump; I took those out, nothing else was stuck in pump, washer pumped fine after I did that.
  • The drive couplers are ok for now, I see them needing to be replaced down the road at some point.
  • I tested the capacitor, but don't know how to interpret the results so took a video of the process (the numbers started higher, then counted down to infinity; when I switched sides, it when from a negative number to infinity, not sure what that means)
  • Drive block is visibly ok, but didn't take the tub out to be 100% sure. The ears of basket drive are visible and drive block is not stripped.
  • I verified that all connections (to motor, speed selector, lid switch) were snugly connected.
  • I ran the machine with the pump disconnected from the motor and it spun fine.

Here are the vids that I took of testing and her machine acting up:

https://www.youtube....h?v=4cRPVJiSmjU (Wash cycle stops midway)
https://www.youtube....h?v=IWsDc_1XkUk (Spin cycle stops abruptly, tries to restart)
https://www.youtube....h?v=r9GW-euFzz0 (Spin cycle stops abruptly, go to 0:23 for stop)
https://www.youtube....h?v=-Yagdnor0SQ (Testing capacitor)
https://drive.google....it?usp=sharing (This is a picture of the inside of the motor switch)

Thanks,

Trudi

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 02 May 2014 - 06:37 PM

You may have a motor problem.  It will stop abruptly ( the brake engaging ) when the motor stops.  It also looks like from your pictures that the motor switch could be bad, making lousey contact.  The points look shot.  I couldn't tell much from your other videos, it would be better with sound.  Does it feel like everything moves smoothly.  No binding on the tub when you spin it.  Is the motor also spinning freely?  Is the motor noisey or does it get hot and kick off on the overload?  I'm kind of leaning towards a motor at this point but maybe you can try just replacing the switch if it's not a fix then you can return it. 

Part number: AP3125984

Part number: AP3125984

Doc

I don't know what happened to my part link but it still works if you click it.

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 03 May 2014 - 05:15 AM.

#3 strudles

strudles

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:31 PM

Sorry about the sound, not sure what happened there :confused:. Here is a video that has the same sound that hers makes, maybe that will help. I'll try to research where the sound went on my vids.

https://www.youtube....h?v=C5F-_U0_hYw

Is there a way to test motor and motor switch to try determine with some assurance which one (if either) is bad?

I don't think there is any binding, but the tub didn't want to turn when it was set to spin and was just making the humming noise so something was keeping the tub stationary and not letting it turn when I tried (tranny?).

I don't think the motor was making any other strange noises, just the hum/buzz sound from the above video.

I don't know when I'll get over to my friend's house again, her husband was moved back into ICU and may be facing surgery :sad: so her life is understandably crazy right now. I don't want to inconvenience her so we'll just have to see. Hopefully I can get over there in the next week or so.

Thanks for your input so far!

Trudi

#4 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:52 PM

I was trying to cancel this post and I posted the other one and can't get rid of this one.  I'm still learning.

sorry

please dissregard this and go to next

thanks

Doc

Edited by electro_doc, 03 May 2014 - 10:07 PM.

#5 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:00 PM

the transmission brake holds the tub from turning until the motor runs and releases it.  motor doesn't run, break doesn't release.

That's why I said get you a motor switch and try it.  reletively inexpensive and worth a try.  If you had an amp probe you could check the amps while the motor was running to see if the motor is ok.  If it agitates and spins and pumps good but kicks out on the motor overload, which is what it sounds like, it is because the motor is getting too hot.  If it was binding up it could do that or if the clutch was slipping or the brake wasn't releasing but in you case it is pointing to the motor.

Here's a way to test it.  Just for fun why don't you take your motor out and try it on her machine.  If yours works on hers then you could try your motor switch on hers and see if it fixes hers.  Then you would know the switch would fix her problem.  Someone may know how to run your motor direct with a cheater cord but off hand I don't remember.  I think it easyer just to use your motor for the test.  What do you think?

Doc

#6 strudles

strudles

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

Yeah, good idea, wouldn't be too terribly difficult :) I'll give it a try and let you know how that goes.

#7 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:27 AM

Yeah, good idea, wouldn't be too terribly difficult :) I'll give it a try and let you know how that goes.

Seems like the best solution for a quick and acurate diagnosis.  Let us know and hope your friends husband gets the help he needs.  You seem like a good friend, glad to be able to help.  When you have it apart put a tiny tiny bit of oil on the brake pads.  This will help it to stop without the jerk!  Not to much though because then it won't stop fast enough.  Put some on your finger and rub it on, then wipe it off with a rag.  Just needs a tiny bit.

Doc

Edited by electro_doc, 04 May 2014 - 11:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics