Diagnosis: Freezer food frozen, fridge food kinda cool.
Background: 14 year old fridge, have replaced defrost heater thermostats, evap fan previously.
what I've done:
Tested and verified as good:
1. defrost heater thermostat (lets current pass at freezing, closes off current at room temp)
2. timer (rotates by itself, turns off compressor/evap fan/etc. for 30 min., then restarts fridge)
3. defrost heater (113 ohms)
4. damper (open).
5. clear air duct path from freezer to fridge.
6. Evap coils (have light, uniform frosting on them, from top to bottom)
7. Reversed freezer and fridge doors side (from right to left) b/c of sagging, slight sealing prob. This fixed that. Doors are straight now and compartments seem to be sealed.
8. Cleaned condenser coils a month ago, still beautiful.
9. Evap fan works.
10. Condenser fan works.
11. Everything on the troubleshooting chart.
Temps in freezer, refrigerator compartments: (F) -7, 40. Outside temp. 80. This is at full blast on the temp. control. Tried it in the middle for a few days, everything was warmer. Normally it's 90F outside (and inside). 40+ temps aren't cold enough!
1. defrost heater wouldn't come on. I bypassed the thermostat. Wouldn't heat up. Again, 113 ohms.
2. defrost heater getting 18VAC. No idea if this is normal.
Given the above two things, wouldn't you thinks that the evap coils would be a lump of ice??? They're not. Again, not getting a lump of ice at the freon entrance as shown in the pic in the section on freon leak on this site.
OK, thanks a million, esp. to the samurai for his sense of humor!