Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

bosch E24 code, but sporadically appears

clog drain dishwasher E24 E24 SGE63E05UC

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 aa2by2

aa2by2

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:33 AM

hello-

i have a bosch SGE63E05UC dishwasher that has the E24 drain error code, which halts cleaning cycle.

I have looked for clogs under the screen and at the drain impeller...none appear and the impeller turns freely.

after fiddling about trying to get it to work, i have discovered that: * disconnecting the drain hose at the air gap under the sink and lying that hose down to drain it and even trying to suck out water from it (not too gross) and then blowing into it (check valve quickly engages so only a bubble or two out of the bottom of the dishwasher) and then reattaching it to the drain hose, the dishwasher will then work for the next cycle or two.

when working, it works! everything appears to function normally, including water being pumped out of the dishwasher into the disposal.

however, after a few days of not being used, the E24 will come back on and then i repeat the emptying of the drain hose as above*.

i dont understand what is wrong...?! it works, but then it doesnt.

before the E24 code appears, during the first minute i turn on the dishwasher cycle, i can hear the drain pump turn on and off maybe three times, i think the washer pump may go on briefly, and then the code appears and the dishwasher is stopped.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 08 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

How old is this unit?

What are the numbers after the UC in the model number?

#3 aa2by2

aa2by2

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:14 PM

after UC are "01", the unit is maybe 4 years old

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:20 PM

4 y.o. is about when these dinky drain pumps start going flakey.  Start by replacing the drain pump: Part number: AP4339596

Part number: AP4339596

#5 aa2by2

aa2by2

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:08 PM

ok

from scouring the web it appears that the pump might be going bad. i have also read that gel pacs could interfere with operation.

once i cleared the code, i ran the dishwasher three times in a row without any detergent.

might the plastic wrapper of the gel pack (cascade actionpacs) gum up the works just a little? do you recommend a particular detergent?

i have seen two youtube videos on replacing the drain pump, one shows simply removing the kick plate and the other shows hauling the dishwasher out and placing it on its side. advice?

#6 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:29 PM

i have seen two youtube videos on replacing the drain pump, one shows simply removing the kick plate and the other shows hauling the dishwasher out and placing it on its side. advice?

It can be done without uninstalling the dishwasher, Bosh recommends uninstalling the dishwasher and removing the bottom case, experience has shown that the  drain pump can be removed without uninstalling the dishwasher, it is a tight fit, but it can be done...

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions held by my employer. All data and information provided is for informational purposes only.

Big Brother

#7 aa2by2

aa2by2

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:58 AM

update, i now can avoid the e24 code by quickly opening and closing the door during the prewash draining cycle;

after pressing the start button, the drain pump will turn on for 3 seconds then off, repeated twice, and then turn on for a longer time....if during this prolonged drain pump operation i open and close the door the washer will then jump to the wash cycle (light will go on). HOWEVER, if i just let the drain pump continue operating, perhaps after a minute, the e24 error will occur.

i ordered a new drain pump. but the above symptom appears to be control/computer related. your thoughts?

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:10 AM

Consider your hypothesis in the light of Occam's Razor which states that

among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected. Other, more complicated solutions may ultimately prove correct, but—in the absence of certainty—the fewer assumptions that are made, the better.

#9 aa2by2

aa2by2

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:10 PM

still getting the e24 error. i have replaced the drain pump, the new one is much quieter.

the problem and work around is as follows

after pressing the start button the drain pump will run a few seconds, then the circulation pump will run a few seconds, and finally the drain pump will run for a minute after which there is the e24 error

however, if during the minute the drain pump is operating, i just quickly open and close the door, the drain pump will stop and the program will progress to the wash cycle (wash cycle light comes on). the dishwasher will function normally.

my best guess is the circuit board or sensor is faulty.

how does the computer determine that there is a drain problem? the drain pump is able to remove all but maybe an inch of water from the sump where the drain pump impeller is. why would just opening and closing the door progress the program to the wash cycle?

#10 aa2by2

aa2by2

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 04:18 PM

update, as mentioned above, i can progress the cycle by opening and closing the door during pre-drain cycle. i have now discovered that if i immediately run another cleaning cycle after one has finished i dont have to use the opening/closing trick.

so why? is there something about a hot dishwasher that works fine? a loose solder connection or the like that becomes better connected when warm?

obviously, this proves the E24 error is not caused by a clog.

as mentioned, i tried solving the problem by replacing the drain pump, works quieter, but doesnt fix it.

so that leaves: 1) the circulation / heat pump, 2) the power module and 3) the control module

comments? advice?

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 07:41 AM

Remove the drain hose from the pump and blow through it to make sure it's clear and that there isn't something in there randomly plugging the line.

Can also remove the control board and look for a burnt solder joint at the pump relay.  Rare, but can happen.  

#12 aa2by2

aa2by2

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:33 AM

another update!

if after successfully running a full cleaning cycle (display shows 0:00  ), instead of turning off the dishwasher if i immediately select and start another one, the control is able to able to work properly, i let it progress to where the wash cycle light goes on and then immediately turn it off so that no water fills the tub,

the computer will remember that point in the cleaning cycle, EVEN AFTER SHUTTING OFF THE DISHWASHER!

this includes shutting off the main breaker, even after leaving the dishwasher off overnight

so, the latest work around is to always start a new cleaning cycle, immediately stop it when the wash light comes on, then turn it off.

of course, the problem with this is that the next cleaning mode (regular wash, power scrub, etc) has to be prechosen since it cannot be changed. hence, i will always select regular wash.

given the above info, i dont see how a bad solder joint or relay can be the problem.

how visibly recognizeable will these be?

also, by trial and error i have found that pressing and holding down both the glass care button and the quick wash button and then hitting the on button, then releasing the glass care and quick wash buttons, the unit appears to go into a self diagnostic test mode....i hear pumps going, various numbers and letters displayed, nevertheless i dont know how to interpret or repond to this apparent test once it finishes

any help?

#13 aa2by2

aa2by2

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

last update

(screw it !)

i got fed up with trying to diagnose and fix my dishwasher, so i bought a new one, the replacement model.

my best guess is that the computer module is at fault.

to reiterate, my previous unit would function as follows: after hitting the start button the drain pump turn on for a couple of seconds, then the washer pump would turn on for a couple of seconds, then the drain pump would turn on for about a minute after this the e24 error would occur unless i quickly opened and closed the door and then it would procede normally, that is, the "wash" indicator light would finally go on.

i didnt want to put up with this glitsch, especially when i considered that the unit might be on its way to total failure. i had the old dishwasher for only 6 years.

in contrast, the replacement model would immediately show the "wash" cycle light after pressing the start button, and then the drain pump would go on.

i also installed a surge protector in the power cord to the dishwasher in case it was a voltage spike that messed up the computer module. i also got a 5 year total warranty extension.

the labor rate to fix a bosch dishwasher is nearly 100$/hr! and the extended warranty costs 100$ and covers both parts and labor.

my very first dishwasher had the old fashion rotating timer knob and would be immune to voltage spikes, i would have kept it, but its cleaning ability was degrading.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics