Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Emergency! Emergency!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:14 PM

Ok, today's rant is about customers who always seem to call around 6PM on Friday evenings and want me to drop everything on Saturday morning to look at their refrigerator that stopped cooling. 

Here's what I got today.  Yesterday, the customer called around 8PM last night about a refrigerator that stopped cooling. Customer begged and pleaded for me to come this morning (Saturday), so I cancel my plans to get my brakes fixed in my van.

Get there and now refrigerator is working normally. Gave the customer a quote for an adaptive defrost control board, Blue book price is around $370, so tell the customer since it's already defrosted, I can take $70 off the bill, and replace the ADC board for around $300 total. Customer says, forget it, if it happens again I will buy a new refrigerator.  So, once again, I just collected the trip charge and my diagnostic fee.

I get pissed when I cancel my weekend plans for an emergency refrigerator call and then the customer declines the repair.

Pretty soon I will no longer run weekend calls if customers keep declining the repairs.

Scott Wolf

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,088 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:51 PM

Or charge a premium for emergency visits

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:48 PM

Better than the customer who declined a $200 bill to replace the cold control on his $1300 4 year old SxS... the service call was $100, so for a benjamin more, he'd have a nice great frigator!

#4 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:02 AM

Customers used to abuse "Emergency Service" so often, we had to stop offering it...

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions held by my employer. All data and information provided is for informational purposes only.

Big Brother

#5 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:04 AM

Yup, When I quit at Sears is when I got home at midnight and almost fell asleep at the wheel while driving home.  I told both my tech manager and HR why I was quitting, and wouldn't you know it about a month after I quit  they quit offering emergency standby service. Coincidence?  Maybe.

Most of the time my emergency no refrigeration calls were refigerators and freezers sold by the outlet stores that were not checked out by the outlet stores.  The rest of the calls were leaking water heaters, customers to dumb to realize that the water heater was leaking out of the tank that could not be fixed until the stores were open to actually replace the whole water heater. I even used to ask the customers on the phone where they were leaking from and I told them to shut the water off at the tank and they would say "I don't know how to shut the water off at the tank."

Edited by Scottthewolf, 12 May 2014 - 12:05 AM.

Scott Wolf

#6 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 12 May 2014 - 12:20 AM

Yup, When I quit at Sears is when I got home at midnight and almost fell asleep at the wheel while driving home.  I told both my tech manager and HR why I was quitting, and wouldn't you know it about a month after I quit  they quit offering emergency standby service. Coincidence?  Maybe.

Most of the time my emergency no refrigeration calls were refigerators and freezers sold by the outlet stores that were not checked out by the outlet stores.  The rest of the calls were leaking water heaters, customers to dumb to realize that the water heater was leaking out of the tank that could not be fixed until the stores were open to actually replace the whole water heater. I even used to ask the customers on the phone where they were leaking from and I told them to shut the water off at the tank and they would say "I don't know how to shut the water off at the tank."

I always love the ones who don't realize you can leave most circuits on in the house when working on a 240 volt range or dryer....

#7 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 12 May 2014 - 09:03 AM

Don't forget those "emergency" dishwasher calls. 

#8 LI-NY Tech

LI-NY Tech

Senpai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Virgil's Cream Soda

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

"You HAVE to get here this morning.  My cleaning lady leaves at 11 and if the washer doesn't get fixed before then I'll have to the laundry myself."

- David
- RD Appliance Service, Corp.
http://www.rdapplianceservice.com

#9 Fisherking1979

Fisherking1979

IkkĊ-ikki

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sam adams

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:41 PM

How about a crazed boyfriend who calls me bitching that my quote of $250 for an evap fan motor replacement of his girls GE S x S. His reasoning was he had a guy come to fix his moms top freezer kenmore frige and he charged $100 for a completely different issue.

#10 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:06 PM

Maybe I'm kind of a wimp, but one of the reasons I chose this field is that it's enough stress for me.  I can't imagine being an EMS tech or an airplane mechanic or a doctor and knowing that if I screw up I kill people. Really, in the grand scheme of things, there's no such thing as an appliance "emergency". 

#11 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:36 PM

<<<there's no such thing as an appliance "emergency". >>>

Most of the time---that's true.

Once in awhile---I'll get a customer living on "disability" or a single mom with a child  that has a medical condition which requires refrigerated medicines.

I believe diabetic medication was one of them.

I'll go out of my way to expedite/resolve their "No Cool" symptom...

Edited by john63, 27 June 2014 - 07:39 PM.

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#12 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:22 PM

Most of the time---that's true.

Once in awhile---I'll get a customer living on "disability" or a single mom with a child  that has a medical condition which requires refrigerated medicines.

I believe diabetic medication was one of them.

I'll go out of my way to expedite/resolve their "No Cool" symptom...

Well who wouldn't?

There are certainly customers you go above and beyond for. They're usually not the ones who make the job profitable, but they are often the ones who make the job worthwhile. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics