Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

short cycleing furnace

torchkeeper

torchkeeper

My g6rc nordyne short cycles. Say thermostat reads 63 we come home set it for 68. Furnace fires fine. But only raises the house a couple degrees. Furnace fires back up and does same thing over and over till thermostat reaches 68. Should I be looking to thermostat or supply air limit switch? Or am I way off? Live on shore of Lake Ontario, still running furnace now and then.

Is this gas or oil furnace? Might be tripping a limit switch. Like a hi temp switch maybe not getting enough airflow and overheating. Or maybe it could be a pressure switch issue. I've worked on very few gas furnaces. I'm sure someone else could give you better advice that actually works on this kind of equipment more often.. I only mess with them when friends or family call me up :)

torchkeeper

Sorry, forgot to mention . Propane  fueled unit.

torchkeeper

Pressure switch and air supply limit switch were replaced over winter and nothing Sq.. Ft.

80,000 btu. 92+ heating 1500 sq.ft. cape chalet.

Cool. If for some reason you had a a clog at say your evap coil the heat would build up and trip the hi limit. It could be the thermostat. Personally if I suspected the thermostat, I would jump it out, and see if the unit reaches the set point without shutting down. Obviously, if it stills shuts down, then it isn't the thermostat. The first thing that comes to my mind causing the unit to shutdown, then starting back up once it has cooled down is a limit tripping.

torchkeeper

I am going to open evap. coil box and check. Never thought of downstream ! That`s why I rely on you guys. I`ll post as soon as I get it open. Thanks again.

What do the diagnostic lights on the circuit board indicate?

torchkeeper

no codes ever while it does this . constant red and steady yellow while flame is present.

Sorry, forgot to mention . Propane  fueled unit.

Was it always setup for propane? Or was it on NG?

Pressure switch and air supply limit switch were replaced over winter and nothing Sq.. Ft.

80,000 btu. 92+ heating 1500 sq.ft. cape chalet.

By this, do you mean the pressure switch and air limit were replaced and these did not fix the problem? Correct part numbers (especially limit)? Did the technician offer any other solution?

torchkeeper

always propane, both were replaced. I will have to check limit switch to see if it was replaced with correct temp replacement. It was different color coveings over the two stand-off legs to switch disc?  I opened cover to A coil but ,it only gave  me access tp downstream side /top . Looked clean as unit has always had electronic air cleaner attached. I have to open the other panel  to really see the side facing furnace. As  I imagine that would be the side catching dust from return air. Furnace has filter though? I was out of town when these were replaced , so I didn`t speak to service. Wife was here.

Thanks for the continued help.

torchkeeper

As I said  earlier cape with 23 foot vaulted ceiling, 2 68 inch 5 blade fans to help in winter. I realize the heat will always go up. Should I go up in size to a 120,000 btu ? Or will it just burn more propane and not add more temp. rise in house. Home is only 4 years old. 2x6 side wall insulation and r-39 in vault and upstairs bedroom ceiling.

Heat is more of concern than A/C. Here on the lake shore we stay cooler than across the road.

always propane, both were replaced. I will have to check limit switch to see if it was replaced with correct temp replacement. It was different color coveings over the two stand-off legs to switch disc?  I opened cover to A coil but ,it only gave  me access tp downstream side /top . Looked clean as unit has always had electronic air cleaner attached. I have to open the other panel  to really see the side facing furnace. As  I imagine that would be the side catching dust from return air. Furnace has filter though? I was out of town when these were replaced , so I didn`t speak to service. Wife was here.

Thanks for the continued help.

Check limit, specification should be printed somewhere on part. Do you still have old part to compare?

As I said  earlier cape with 23 foot vaulted ceiling, 2 68 inch 5 blade fans to help in winter. I realize the heat will always go up. Should I go up in size to a 120,000 btu ? Or will it just burn more propane and not add more temp. rise in house. Home is only 4 years old. 2x6 side wall insulation and r-39 in vault and upstairs bedroom ceiling.

Heat is more of concern than A/C. Here on the lake shore we stay cooler than across the road.

Should not be necessary. Did it work sufficiently when new?

torchkeeper

Found box for replacement air supply limit and it is correct value.Opens at 250 closes at 210. The 80,000 btu have the highest opening temp of all the nordyne g6 models. Even higher than 100,000, and 120,000 ? Thinking a coil may be restriction? It was a separate attic unit in house we moved it from. We just moved them from house we demoed a 100 feet away. Had no way to put in ceiling vent for a/c as this is a new build modular. So we put coil box in line with furnace. Did I make a large mistake? Coil cabinet and furnace cabinet same outside size. They married right together.

Where is this located now? The other one came out of an attic you say so I'm just wondering if you got it in a basement now standing upright. Coil could be in the wrong position for the application you are using it for now.

Most furnaces have a temperature rise indicated on the model tag. I believe you can check temperature before the furnace and after to see if you are within range. You need to drill a hole into the ductwork and have an accurate temperature probe. I believe that would tell you if the furnace is working within specs. I want to say if airflow is to low then the temp rise would higher than rated. If airflow is to high the temp rise is to low then the air flow is to high. Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong. It's been 4 years since I went to school for HVAC.

torchkeeper

Both units are horizontal, coil was that way in attic and furnace is vertical or horizontal option . they are both horizontal hanging from floor joists. The coil is pointed with < heat/blower coming from open side of v . top/point is aimed downstream.

It`s been 42 years since I went to school!!!

Found box for replacement air supply limit and it is correct value.Opens at 250 closes at 210. The 80,000 btu have the highest opening temp of all the nordyne g6 models. Even higher than 100,000, and 120,000 ? Thinking a coil may be restriction? It was a separate attic unit in house we moved it from. We just moved them from house we demoed a 100 feet away. Had no way to put in ceiling vent for a/c as this is a new build modular. So we put coil box in line with furnace. Did I make a large mistake? Coil cabinet and furnace cabinet same outside size. They married right together.

Perhaps. Anyway to take and post some pictures?

Also, can you clarify on the "had no way to put in ceiling vent for ac" please?

Edited by beam current

torchkeeper

New camera on order, It`s a modular so all sheet \rock ,wiring and plunbing,  cabiniets, toilets come pre-installed. Has a loft second floor, flooring and insulation already down. Roof is hinged and crane does a lift ,kneewall hinges down and second half of roof folds over again.! You know I have all set - day photos on card from old dead camera. Tomorrow I will see if I can get some uploaded.

Thanks for hanging in with me guys. What fun would a simple problem be !!!

• Like 1

torchkeeper

Got a quote for a Finnish ,soapstone fireplace,Tulikivi. Do a search,they are over a 1000 years old tech. Damn  impressive, if I do the support from first floor to basement. Of course I need to add 12-18 inchs of re-bar filled concrete, after installation I`m only out 25 to 30 grand! Only burn 2 times a day . Wish I hit a lottery!!