Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Gas Dryer

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 JWHANSEN

JWHANSEN

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 06:07 AM

Hello -

I have a repair question. I have a Maytag gas dryer that is 3 years old. The timer is not working properly. The dial will turn and "click" to a setting, but after the unit is turn on, the timer does not move. I have to maually shut the dryer off and it is taking well over an hour and a half to dry clothes which once took only 30 minutes. Is the timer bad and or the heat sensor? Thanks in advance.

Jwhansen

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Lurker_Hightone_*

Lurker_Hightone_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 10 May 2005 - 09:42 AM

I have the same problem with my Maytag Gas Dryer which is 2 years old. I replaced the Timer Switch and now the Timer Dry setting works but the  "More Dry"  "Less Dry" setting doesn't. It still runs until we shut the dryer off manually. I am wondering if it is the thermostat now. When I replaced the timer I opened it up (it is a sealed unit) and the plastic moving mechanical parts weren't in place. it is obviously a very cheap assembly.

I am looking for advice  as to what to do next.

#3 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 10 May 2005 - 09:51 AM

Model numbers please...
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#4 JWHANSEN

JWHANSEN

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:22 AM

Here is my Model# Mdg2500BWW

Thanks-Jwhansen

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:51 AM

Check to see if it will advance in the timed dry cycle.  If it does check your dryer vent in the home for blockage.  The dryer advances thru the heat circut for auto cycles and if it is short cycling your timer will not advance nor will the clothes dry.  Make sure the air flow from the dryer is not blocked in any way. Also make sure their is good air flow from the dryer in case your blower wheel is not turning.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#6 JWHANSEN

JWHANSEN

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 05:37 AM

I went and checked for blockage of any kind but, there was not any. The dial does not move on a time dry cycle. What is my next step? How hard is it to replace the timer? If I do call a repair man, what is a fair price to be charged?

Jwhansen

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 10:18 AM

We do not know for sure of course, but it sounds like the timer if it will not advance in timed also.  Hard to say any prices since they vary from location and servicer. On the dryer that will advance on timed dry but not automatic check your air flow and perhaps your moisture senser circut.

#8 JWHANSEN

JWHANSEN

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 03:46 AM

Ok, I went back last night and tried it again on the timed dry cycle. I think I was too anxious to find a solution to this problem and the dial DID move on the "TIMED DRY" setting. I was not giving it enough time to move. That is why I am a " grasshopper" and you all are the experts. Please tell me what  the next step should be. Thanks!

Jwhansen

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 May 2005 - 03:51 AM

Disconnect the vent from the dryer and run it that way on the auto dry cycle.  Make sure that the air flow is full and strong.  Does the timer advance normally in this condition?

#10 JWHANSEN

JWHANSEN

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:34 AM

I disconnect the vent from the dryer and made sure that there was good air flow. The timer still did not move. When the dyer WAS hooked up I went outside and made sure the air was flowinfg from the dryer vent there and it was. So, now I am looking to you all for my next step. Thanks in advance.

Jwhansen

#11 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:02 AM

[user=671]JWHANSEN[/user] wrote:

I disconnect the vent from the dryer and made sure that there was good air flow. The timer still did not move. When the dyer WAS hooked up I went outside and made sure the air was flowinfg from the dryer vent there and it was. So, now I am looking to you all for my next step. Thanks in advance.

Jwhansen

If it works in time dry and not in auto dry you might want to clean the sensor inside the dryer, you probably use a fabric softener in the dryer and this puts a coating on the sensor, clean with some fine sandpaper. If that dosn't work replace the themostats or try cleaning those also, if you have a way of cheking the temperature do that first ,should be around 155 degrees, if higher than that the cycling sensor needs replaced

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:02 AM

So, to summarize, the timer does advance on timed dry but not on auto dry? 

*you nod your head 'yes'*

Ok then, you have a bad cycling thermostat

Posted Image

#13 JWHANSEN

JWHANSEN

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:18 AM

Now, how hard is that to clean and/or replace? Should I call someone out or can I do that by my self? I really appreciate all of the input that yeveryone has given. I called someone in your profession and they said it was the timer. He did not do anything like you all told me to do. He just said it was the timer after about 1 minute. The cost is $160.00  Now, I am having second thoughts...

Jwhansen

#14 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:33 AM

You have come this far grasshopper ,now complete the journey.

#15 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:36 AM

Normaly, if the timer will advance on timed dry but not on automatic, the timer is not the problem, since it usually uses the same timer motor in both cycles.  Also, what is the temperature from the dryer exhaust when the heat cycles, should be around 150*, depending on the temperature marked on your cycling thermostat.

#16 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:24 PM

Grasshopper, I feel your pain and I wrote this haiku just for you:

[align=center]Dryer timer stuck.[/align]
[align=center]Samurai reveals the truth.[/align]
[align=center]I wallow in doubt.:drowning:[/align]
[align=left] [/align]

#17 JWHANSEN

JWHANSEN

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:25 AM

I have finally gotten around to replacing the "cycling thermostat" and need to know which side of the thermostat does the purple wire go on?

I want to thank this site and everyone on it. You all have been a real big help and saved me some $ and I will be contributing to the "Samurai Beer Fund", no doubt about it!

Thanks again....Jwhansen

#18 GuidofromCT

GuidofromCT

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 05:38 PM

when removing wire from old part it is best to

put wire on new part in same place. always one wire from old

put on new , then next wire from old to sam elocation on new!

But too late for that! Wiring diagram located in control housing!

yo, just do what ya gotta do!

#19 JWHANSEN

JWHANSEN

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 03:14 AM

I finally replaced the "cycling thermostat", BUT it did not fix the problem. In the Auto dry cycle, the timer still does not move.  Now, I have noticed that when the gas ignites and the heat goes into the dryer, it only stays lit for about 25 seconds at a time.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks - Jwhansen

#20 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:15 AM

Does the flame go all the way to the back. or is it a lazy flame and hitting the high limit? This will cause a short cycle either bacause the air shutter needs adjusted or resticted air flow which you said was O.K, try again with the vent off and watch the flame if it shuts off and stays off after running for awhile then you need to replace the valve coils. Let us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics