Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

keyman

Whirlpool In-Door-Ice Sensor Problem

16 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience/knowledge of this:

We are in the market for a new refrigerator, and we would like one of the Whirlpool side-by-side models with the "In-Door-Ice" feature. However, our local Whirlpool dealer says that they have had the sensor go bad on every one they have sold.

Is this really a widespread problem?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

We are working on one now that the emmiter and receiver boards are dead.  The thru the ceiling fill tube will also freeze up if the updated one with the heater has not been installed.  Also the assy for the water disp, is no longer available and have to update to an anti-syphon kit which will not fit on all models.  If you do buy one BE SURE to buy an extended warranty on this ref. to cover the problems you will have down the road.  You will need it.  Pegi

Thanks a million (or at least about $1600).

Have you found this to be a common recurring type problem?

Yes........:shock:

So, I guess my question becomes:

Should I stick with a Whirlpool with a standard icemaker, or is there a better brand/model out there?

You will be fine with a Whirlpool/Roper/KitchenAid but I am not to keen on the ice in the door design.  Just a simple ref. with ice maker, ice and water disp thru the door,  just not the bucket in the freezer door.  And do not need one that talks to you either...  :)

Much appreciated, Pegi...

Quite welcome..... :)

Funny, I've sold a ton of those, and have very few problems...  Luck of the draw?

Maybe.  Or maybe you're just talking out yer :moon:.  

I've seen lots of problems with these things, too. 

Emitter/receiver boards go out, the fill assy to the ice maker glogs with ice and have to replace it with a kit with a heater, bummer job,  augar motor freezing up, have to replace with a kit with a boot, etc.......lots of problems with these.  The water fill assy breaks, and the original part is no longer available and the repair "kit" with the anit-run on device will not fit into the dispenser housing.  And on and on..........Perhaps you have not received the calls for these problems yet.

And don't forget the broken coupling between motor and ice bin, the poorly fitting ice bin which can only really be solved by replacing the door, the redesigned air duct to cope with poor ice production, disintegrating doors, the air diffuser, the scoop heater kit. Apart from that, it's a great fridge!

:gimmebeer: :gulp::pint::cheers::guzzle:

We really liked the other features of , say, the Whirlpool Conquest (slide out shelves, sliding baskets in the freezer, etc.) but as far as I can tell, those aren't available in the models without the in-door ice.

What do you think of the GE Profile? It has a lot of these features plus more.

Please do not go there........:shock:

Prowl around the threads a little bit and you'll quickly learn that, without exception, all the Master Appliantologists revile GE. 

But, we just fix appliances for a living.  We don't create a glossy marketing literature or smooze deals with Home Despot or write fluff pieces in Consumer Reports, so take what we say with a glass of stout.  :pint: