Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Sick of Not Making Any Money

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

I need to move on.  I am totally sick of sub contracting for this asshole of a business owner and treating me like a minimum wage slave. 

I have been with this place since 2008, still driving a beat up work van that has no air conditioning, the outside drivers door handle is broken, and has rust all over and only making $500 a week, no matter how much money I bring in.

Totally sick of this shit.  I can't go on vacation, I have to cough up a lung if I need a day off and I get all the bottom of the barrel asshole customers who want me to show up at their house after 4PM, after 5PM and after 6PM. AND the worst is having NO BENEFITS, no healthcare, no vacation, no 401 K and my paychecks are handwritten checks. AND I still owe back takes dating back to 2011!

Scott Wolf

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,915 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:23 PM

Is he your only business?

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 27 May 2014 - 03:24 PM

You oughta be able to write your own ticket, Scott.  Is this guy the only game in town, and does he have anybody else doing service?  After six years there should be some type of concession, whether it's more money, health coverage, or at least paid vacation time.  Time to renegotiate terms. 

#4 tpoindexter

tpoindexter

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Beamish

Posted 27 May 2014 - 11:09 PM

Does he give you a percentage of the job, or, pay you hourly?

If it's hourly then you need a raise and some vacation time.

If percentage of the job. then, I'd be curious as to how many jobs you're doing a week on average.

Also, how you're pricing, bluebook, hourly, etc..... 

Either way, somethings doesn't seem right.

Definately  time for some kinda change.

Edited by tpoindexter, 27 May 2014 - 11:33 PM.

Test

#5 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:00 AM

He pays me a flat dollar amount no matter how much money I bring in.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 28 May 2014 - 11:00 AM.

Scott Wolf

#6 B4UTRUST

B4UTRUST

Yamabushi

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

Sounds like where I was up until Friday. No benefits, crap pay, no vacation time, no nothing and you're paid hourly regardless of how much business you bring in. Everyone told me the same thing they're telling you. You're better off on your own. 

Owner/Operator Flagship Appliance Repair

#7 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Greenbush Starchicken Shotgun

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

I agree with the above comments about striking out on your own.  You can easily do better with just a few COD calls a day - trust me, I am.  

Nobody is going to pay you what you are worth, except YOU!

#8 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:09 PM

Well Brother, I think I know what you're up against.  I'm still paying off medical debt, and since I can't run calls like I used to, on commission, I draw a salary.  And I've driven a clunker or two, 12 hours a day in the summer heat and rain, no a/c (brakes optional).

And since the beer is kicking in, and my eyesight is beginning to blur, I'll leave you with this.  If you have any backup capital or friends in high places, use it/them now and do your own thing.  Work out of your house and network everyone you know.  We all know you have the experience but we don't know your situation.  If you're stuck financially, keeping the lights on and food on the table, then have a "sit down" with this owner and lay it out.  Sell yourself and your ability.  At least until you can make your move.

#9 BrntToast

BrntToast

fellow,academy of sublime masters of appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:i quit drinking the day i woke up nude on the hood of my car with my keys up my butt

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:56 PM

ever thought of relocating to canada?

my boss is begging for guys

i sub,and love it

i'm given 8 calls/day all in 1/4 of the city

usually finish by 1-2 o'clock(shhhh, dont tell my boss, he may ask me to take more calls)

i do supply my own vechile/gas, but gross 1000+/week,which is damn good considering how lazy i am  :P

The only stupid question is the one not asked

hope i've been helpfull, if you wish to buy Brnt beer kick here

http://brnttoast.googlepages.com/home

feel free to prvt msg frigidaire questions my way

(i dont log in every day)

#10 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:18 PM

Yes, I have condidered relocating to Canada many times, since I am of Canadian descent and I am addicted to playing and watching ice hockey.  It's getting a work visa and becoming a permanent resident that's the hard part.

I blame my grandparents for migrating to the USA and moving to Florida because they didn't like the snow and freezing cold weather. Whimps. 

Edited by Scottthewolf, 30 May 2014 - 08:36 PM.

Scott Wolf

#11 AmTec Services

AmTec Services

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 07:07 PM

Where are you in Florida?

The futures so bright, I gotta wear shades!

#12 KurbyMstr

KurbyMstr

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Cherry Coke

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:36 AM

I went through a similar experience.  I was a contractor that the owner wanted to treat like an employee.  I was bringing in the money on all the service calls, and used appliance sales, making most of the decisions for the business, and was paid hourly.  Now I still do all of that, except I get paid what I want, don't have to argue over the decisions I make, take time off when I would like to, and treat the customers how I like to treat them (meaning better that those other owners).  If you have the knowledge, tools, and any vehicle then go for it.

#13 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:28 PM

Where are you in Florida?

I am not in Florida, my grandparents moved to Florida. I would not even be caught dead in Florida with the heat and humidity. I am in Ohio, but want to relocate to Toronto, Ontario.

Scott Wolf

#14 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:39 PM

What's wrong with The Wank of The United States...?

So what if our refrigerators sweat and have frost build up no matter what you do!

I am not in Florida, my grandparents moved to Florida. I would not even be caught dead in Florida with the heat and humidity. I am in Ohio, but want to relocate to Toronto, Ontario.

"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#15 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:35 AM

To make matters worse, today was the day for "garbage" service calls. First call was an Electrolux dishwasher that somebody pulled out of the garbage, it was supposed to be scrapped because the model and serial tag was missing.  The damn thing would still keep washing even with the door wide open. Told the customer I couldn't even look up the parts without a model number. 

Second call was a el cheapo 10 year Tappan dishwasher, the heater element came out of it's retaining clips, and melted a huge hole in the floor of the plastic tub. Not worth fixing completely tearing apart the whole dishwasher to replace the whole tub. 

Third was a Whirlpool direct drive top load washer, the drive block wore out and caused the spin basket  to go off balance so bad it wore a hole in the outer tub, the tub cover was also cracked, customer didn't want to spend close to $300 to repair it, so the whole day was nothing but collecting trip charge and diagnostic charges. :banghead:

Scott Wolf

#16 beam current

beam current

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:The Mrs.' homemade limeade. Served over crushed ice. Summertime classic.

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:08 PM

Scott,

It definitely sounds like you have APPLIANTOLOGY BURN-OUT.

We all get it from time to time, no matter what we do for a living. You need to take some well deserved time off, now!

Money is tight for all of us, but there are some free things you can do. Take the significant other and go hiking, camping, local museums. Something.

Just get your head off your work and have some fun. If your boss has a problem with that, tell him to f**k off. After 5 years of service, you deserve some time off. He is definitely taking advantage of you and he knows it. And he will continue to do so until you won't let him.

We're all looking out for your best interest Scott. The time is now to put an end to this unfair treatment.

Good luck.
I think this will work. I once saw it on a cartoon.

Or, on the other hand.....

Troubleshooting the appliance's complex electro-mechanical systems is the methodology in which one must, by using analyitical techniques and the process of elimination, determine the cause or causes of a specific failure. Rarely does this cause of a failure directly present itself for you to see.

So.....

To be better equipped to troubleshoot, you will need:

1.) To follow this: Safety first and foremost. Trust your instincts.
2.) Basic hand tools.
3.) A decent DVOM meter. Buy one. Borrow one. You need one.
4.) Last, but certainty not least, common sense. Most of us have it. Slow down and use it.

Now, let's have some fun!

ZIG:
Hope is the power that gives a person the confidence to step out and try.
Success is the maximum utilization of the ability you have.

N.M.:
It always seems impossible until it's done.

#17 Spannerwrench

Spannerwrench

Senpai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Maxwell House > Black Crown > Crown Royal with Ginger Ale

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:39 PM

Where's that tm logo after APPLIANTOLOGY BURN-OUT??
"Suds are not good"
"They write directions for a reason"
"Make sure you're using it right before you say it's not working correctly"
"If if has a Diagnostic Test Cycle, Run it before and after you fix it!"
"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insane"
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

#18 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:47 PM

I also refuse to go into a customers home unless the actual homeowner is there too. I hate explaining to another person who doesn't even live at the house what's wrong or not wrong with the appliance and then he or she tries to explain it to the homeowner and they don't explain it correctly.  

I had a refrigerator still in warranty, shoved in a hole not big enough for the refrigerator in a dirty filthy house and the complaint was no water through the water dispenser and no ice, SO I killed myself trying to get the refrigerator they shoe horned in the hole out from the wall and sure enough the plastic water line going from the house water supply to the refrigerator was severely crimped, I even showed it to the lady who was there at the time. I told her the tubing is not part of the refrigerator  and therefore it is not covered under warranty. 

I also told her to tell them to go to the local hardware store and replace the flimsy plastic tubing with a braided stainless steel water line that won't crimp.  Instead, the go and replace the water filter and the lady who was there at the time calls back and tells me it's still not working. I tried to explain it to her again and she just doesn't understand and insists I come back.  THEN I get a call later in the day from the homeowner about how rude I was to the lady on the phone  and he tells me I should not be complaining about the poor install on the refrigerator and that I have a bad attitude and that they will call somebody else. 

Good ridens to customers like that, I really don't need them on stinking warranty calls that barely pay anything.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 03 June 2014 - 09:48 PM.

Scott Wolf

#19 beam current

beam current

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:The Mrs.' homemade limeade. Served over crushed ice. Summertime classic.

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:27 AM

Where's that tm logo after APPLIANTOLOGY BURN-OUT??

Hold on. Don't I get first dibs?   :no: ?

Edited by beam current, 04 June 2014 - 02:38 AM.

I think this will work. I once saw it on a cartoon.

Or, on the other hand.....

Troubleshooting the appliance's complex electro-mechanical systems is the methodology in which one must, by using analyitical techniques and the process of elimination, determine the cause or causes of a specific failure. Rarely does this cause of a failure directly present itself for you to see.

So.....

To be better equipped to troubleshoot, you will need:

1.) To follow this: Safety first and foremost. Trust your instincts.
2.) Basic hand tools.
3.) A decent DVOM meter. Buy one. Borrow one. You need one.
4.) Last, but certainty not least, common sense. Most of us have it. Slow down and use it.

Now, let's have some fun!

ZIG:
Hope is the power that gives a person the confidence to step out and try.
Success is the maximum utilization of the ability you have.

N.M.:
It always seems impossible until it's done.

#20 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:58 PM

Hell guys, I burned out years ago, and I haven't...........I'm still...........It's............ What was the question?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics