Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Sick of Not Making Any Money

34 replies to this topic

#21 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:55 PM

Another one of my pet peeves, We always seem to get the customers who call at 4PM, especially on Fridays, and yes we even get calls on brand new in warranty refrigerators and the customers demand we drop everything and come rushing out for a no cool refrigerator and when we get there it's their second refrigerator that's in the garage, or the customer has unplugged it because it wasn't working anyhow.

Scott Wolf

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 07 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

I also refuse to go into a customers home unless the actual homeowner is there too. I hate explaining to another person who doesn't even live at the house what's wrong or not wrong with the appliance and then he or she tries to explain it to the homeowner and they don't explain it correctly.  

I had a refrigerator still in warranty, shoved in a hole not big enough for the refrigerator in a dirty filthy house and the complaint was no water through the water dispenser and no ice, SO I killed myself trying to get the refrigerator they shoe horned in the hole out from the wall and sure enough the plastic water line going from the house water supply to the refrigerator was severely crimped, I even showed it to the lady who was there at the time. I told her the tubing is not part of the refrigerator  and therefore it is not covered under warranty. 

I also told her to tell them to go to the local hardware store and replace the flimsy plastic tubing with a braided stainless steel water line that won't crimp.  Instead, the go and replace the water filter and the lady who was there at the time calls back and tells me it's still not working. I tried to explain it to her again and she just doesn't understand and insists I come back.  THEN I get a call later in the day from the homeowner about how rude I was to the lady on the phone  and he tells me I should not be complaining about the poor install on the refrigerator and that I have a bad attitude and that they will call somebody else. 

Good ridens to customers like that, I really don't need them on stinking warranty calls that barely pay anything.

We refuse to reinstall copper tubing,  Which is why SS hoses are part of the truck stock.

#23 AQAppliances

AQAppliances

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

If you are a good technician I would either start my own company or go work for one of the big appliance companies.

#24 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:20 PM

I start a new job on Monday with a company that has been in business since the 1950s.  I sense the beginning of a good job.

Scott Wolf

#25 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,003 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:47 PM

Congrats Scott!!!

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#26 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:28 AM

Well after almost 3 months on the job, it's not much better.  I get the same crappy van as I did at my last job, the pay still sucks because we do too much warranty work, and  I still get paid by the service call rather than hourly. To make matters worse, sometimes I have at least an hour of driving time between calls, which I do not get paid for. Still no benefits or anything.

I am waiting for Whirlpool Factory Service back in Boston, Massachusetts to get back to me.  After 10 years working directly for Maytag Factory Service, I know a lot of the higher ups at Whirlpool.  I need the benefits and better pay. Who cares if I have outer tub jobs on washers and a sealed system call every week.

Scott Wolf

#27 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,977 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:01 AM

Sounds like you are a prime candidate for self-employment. You've been in the business long enough and you are a strong tech. I've already laid out your name, byline and marketing campaign...

Voice over "Introducing SCOTTTHEWOLF'S APPLIANCE PACK! " ..

(cue cartoon of a herd of appliances running away...except one refrigerator... it's sick and can't run)

Voice over: "Appliance not running?"

(cue cartoon of wolfpack with tool bags surrounding a shaking fridge... one wolf is a baddass with the name "Scott" emblazoned on his shirt)

Voice-over: "Why us??"

(cue cartoon of Scott-wolf fixing the fridge. The fridge then gets up, smiles and runs away)

Voice-over: "Because the strength of the Pack is.... THE WOLF!"

(cue sound of a conquering wolf howl, fade in real picture of Scott... fade to black)

slight but dramatiic pause to show how much you love and respect your team... viewers will eat the following syrupy stuff up:

Voice-over "And the strength of THE WOLF,"

Voice-over "Is in the Pack

fade in real picture of your techs and support staff

fade in caption under the photo, in cursive "the pack"

Cha Ching! That ad would make you rich!

ps My bill is in the mail. Anybody else need a concept? Step right up... I'm cheaper than Madison Avenue... but not by much... lol

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 13 November 2014 - 09:08 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#28 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Greenbush Starchicken Shotgun

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:54 PM

Bruther Durham speaks da truth!

Whirlpool has been running that factory service pilot v2 in Boston and LA now for a few years now.  I'm guessing unless you already live there and can deal with the traffic and out of sight cost of living there aren't too many out of town takers for that gig.  

#29 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:19 PM

I am originally from Massachusetts, I am used to the traffic and high cost of living.

Scott Wolf

#30 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Greenbush Starchicken Shotgun

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:37 PM

I am originally from Massachusetts, I am used to the traffic and high cost of living.

You would be perfect then!  Good luck!

#31 MA tech.

MA tech.

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Amstel Light

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:53 PM

Hey Scott. If you do come back to MA make sure to get in touch. As you know I'm in your old stomping grounds. I have been on my own (Southborough Appliance) for 6 years now and so far so good.

#32 btenpin

btenpin

Yamabushi

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Seagrams

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:43 AM

Illinois is close to Ohio!

We just elected a new Governor.  Who knows maybe this guy may actually do a good job, and not go to jail like our past Governors.

We have plenty of work, and pay an hourly base (for the slow times which we haven't had in a  loong time) plus incentive % of total revenue.  We have been in business for 20yrs.

I agree with the others that it sounds like you have what it takes to strike out on your own as a 1 man show if you wanted.  Be careful of what you wish for

Just to play devils advocate and give my 2 cents I have been running my own business now for 20 yrs.  I have been a 1 man show at times, and have had 2-3 techs working for me also (people come and people go).  The issue of being on your own is if you get hurt or sick you are out of business and income other than disability.

It's good to be part of a team as long as it's a positive team that uses the synergy of the team.  No one person knows everything, and the team makes each individual stronger.

A business is only as good as the individual who owns it.  I respect people, and do my best to practice the Golden Rule, but I am human and make mistakes as everyone.

If you have any question PM me

Brian T

#33 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:03 AM

Wow, MA Tech, you are close. I lived in Marlborough.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 15 November 2014 - 12:03 AM.

Scott Wolf

#34 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:07 PM

I thought you were running you own business already Scott. I guess I got lucky at my new company. They have been in business since 1948. Good people. We do run warranties and they are still a hassle. I'm paid hourly myself. It is nice I take my work van to and from work like I did at Sears. I'm not where I want to be pay wise, but it's understandable because they are training on everything besides refrigeration. I pretty much work 40 - 45 hours a week. I hope you find a better place that makes you happy. I'm happy where I'm at, not happy with the pay, but I feel like they care about their employees. We are having a holiday dinner on December12th at the local racetrack buffet. It's not a cheap buffet either :) I hear they usually give us a pretty good Christmas bonus too. I don't have any vacation until after my first year. Which sucks because my dad just left to spend 2 weeks in Florida and I couldn't go.

Edited by BryanS, 15 November 2014 - 10:08 PM.

#35 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 15 November 2014 - 10:13 PM

Another thing that puts a smile on my face everyday I go to work for this company is the fact that we are taking work from Sears, and Sears had to the foot the bill for my training and experience not this company. Not that they will miss the small chunk of calls we run, but it still makes me happy :) We also have another smaller appliance company close by, and they actually refer work to us. Mostly because it is stuff they don't want to do or won't do. We are a bit slow now, but I have lots of time to work/learn on appliances back in the shop.

Edited by BryanS, 15 November 2014 - 10:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics