Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

model WRF989SDAF00 whirlpool frig.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:redbridge

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:02 AM

Going out on this in the afternoon. Lady says ff is cold, but freezer and ice maker (in it's own compartment in the fridge) is thawing or not cold enough. It has been like this for about a week. Being this has two evaps., should I be looking for a sealed system problem or could something else cause this. Please send me the answer ye subliminal masters of appliantology. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,977 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:41 AM

Sounds like a stuck or failed 3way valve. Check tech sheet but I belive test 4 allows you to force cool the compartments separately. If the freezer doesn't cool then this maybe your problem.

Also, depending on how the system prioritizes, check for a bad fresh food sensor. If it prioritizes the ff compartment first then a bad thermistor in the ff compartment may cause the valve to stay on the fresh food side. I am not sure about this as I dont see too many out of spec whirlpool sensors but it's something to check out.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 28 May 2014 - 08:43 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:23 PM

There's something going on with these dual evap units, and Whirlpool is aware of it. Per Service Pointer W10666205A dtd March 2014:

Symptoms:

Slow Ice/No Ice

Warmer than normal freezer temperature

Long/Constant run time

Partial frost pattern on the freezer evaporator

discoloration or deterioration of the refrigerator evaporator housing

Note:  The first symptom a customer notices is usually a decrease in ice production followed by a noticeable temperature increase in freezer and longer than normal cooling cycles.

Correction: 

1.  Verify the above symptoms with customer.

2.  Check and record freezer, refrigerator and ice box temperatures.

3.  Run tech sheet diagnostic test #4 (Compressor/Condenser fan/Evaporator fan) and #56 (I/M error codes) and record the results.  Call the Techline (Authorized Servicers Only) from the customers home for further instructions.

Affected Serial Numbers:  K217XXX - K335XXX

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,977 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:52 PM

And what if you are not an authorized servicer... What do you do?

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#5 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

Not sure, yet.  I've seen the moisture/condensation issues but haven't been called for this this problem, though I'm sure I will.  As soon as I do, I'll make the Techline call and report back here with the fix.  In the meantime, I'll keep an eye out for future Pointers concerning the dual evap units.  Seems to be a new one every couple of months.

#6 CubbieBear84

CubbieBear84

IkkĊ-ikki

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Surlys

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:42 PM

We have scraped 3 of these fridges already.  I've heard there's holes in the evap.  Tech-line will record all the data and if it fits within their set criteria they give a concession number and send a new one.

#7 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:44 PM

Thanks for the info. I recommended she see what whirlpool will do for her before I get involved, as I am not an authorized whirlpool servicer. This will give me time to familiarize myself with the refrigerator via download from this website. I appreciate all the wisdom of the sages. I'm going to follow this as close as I can and will update what I find.

#8 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

Found out yesterday that whirlpool repaired this refrigerator under warranty. finished three days ago. The lady was not sure what they did, but thanked me for steering her back to whirlpool to get help. I do assume the problem was the sealed system because the tech told her it would have been approximately $800.00 if she had to pay. And as always,I do appreciate everyones help.

Edited by suampman, 20 July 2014 - 04:21 PM.

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

Do the Evaporators in Whirlpool Dual Evaporator Refrigerators have Leak Problems?

By Samurai Appliance Repair Man in Samurai Appliance Repair Man's Blog, on 21 July 2014 - 06:52 AM

We're starting to hear lots of reports of frequent instances of leaking evaporators in the newer Whirlpool dual evaporator refrigerators. Brother PDuff brings this Whirlpool Service Pointer to our attention:

And Brother CubbieBear84 reports this:

Something to keep in mind if you're called out on one of these with a warm compartment complaint....

Read Full Entry →

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics