Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE WPRB8050D1WW, fills, agitates, won't spin and drain...

WPRB8050D1WW wont drain wont spin

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fencer

fencer

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:30 PM

I have a GE Profile wash machine, model WPRB8050D1WW. It will fill and agitate, but not spin and drain. Thanks to this forum, I found the instructions to get into the Service Mode. All functions (including Spin) work in service mode, EXCEPT for "Pump". In normal operation, is "Spin" not allowed unless "Pump" is working?

How can I get a wiring diagram for this machine. If it's a bad relay on the circut board, I'm ready to replace is with a similar spec relay, even if I don't mount it on the board....   

Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:51 PM

It won't spin if the pump isn't working.  I'd check the pump real good, see if it has continuity or if it is getting power.  Take off the clean out and see if something is binding it up.

Doc

#3 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:32 PM

The level switch I believe inhibits the spin, so if the pump isn't working the tub isn't draining and the water level isn't falling. This means no spin.

#4 fencer

fencer

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

OK, I checked the pump. No continuity. There is power to the pump. So, I took off the cover that covers the pump terminals. There I see something that I guess is a thermal fuse connected to the left terminal. The board that the terminal and this "fuse" are on is burnt where the "fuse" is mounted, so I suspect the "fuse" (if that is what it is!) has blown. So, I bypassed the "fuse" and the pump runs fine!

Question; is it really a thermal fuse?  Any reason I could not replace it?

Thanks again!

#5 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:26 PM

No reason you can't replace it and yes it probably is a thermal fuse.  There is a good chance if you do replace it that the new one will also blow, after all they do blow for a reason.  Usually too hot or too many amps, maybe bad bearings or rather bushing.  Doesn't hurt to give it a try, if it was me i'd just get a new pump motor and replace it.  If you buy just the motor it's a lot cheaper.  Make sure to check for any debree or any blockage in the hoses.  At least you have located the problem and are headed in the right direction!  Keep us updated.

Thanks

DocPart number: AP5803461

Part number: AP5803461

Edited by electro_doc, 28 May 2014 - 10:29 PM.

#6 fencer

fencer

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:57 PM

No reason you can't replace it and yes it probably is a thermal fuse.  There is a good chance if you do replace it that the new one will also blow, after all they do blow for a reason.  Usually too hot or too many amps, maybe bad bearings or rather bushing.  Doesn't hurt to give it a try, if it was me i'd just get a new pump motor and replace it.  If you buy just the motor it's a lot cheaper.  Make sure to check for any debree or any blockage in the hoses.  At least you have located the problem and are headed in the right direction!  Keep us updated.

Thanks

Electro Doc,

I agree! It's likely not worth the trouble! I'll just replace the whole pump and motor. Thanks  so much for your help, and for this forum. Without the instructions on how to enter the "Service Mode" on the washer, I would not have been  able to diagnose my problem. I'll copy and paste it here again for others who may need it:

To get to service mode, press/hold the Whites and Start buttons until all led's light up (3 seconds). Now press Colors to go forward through the functions and Whites to go backwards.

The functions are,

• model code,
  • error code,
  • hot valve,
  • cold valve,
  • agitate low speed,
  • agitate high speed,
  • pump and
  • spin high speed.

So press Whites once to go to spin high speed, once more to pump, once more to agitate high speed...etc.

Thanks again to all!

Fencer

#7 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:04 PM

Good job and thanks for the post, I'm sure it will help someone.  Good dicision getting the pump, save yourself a headache down the road.

Glad we could help

Give us an update when you get the new pump in

thanks

Doc

#8 fairbank56

fairbank56

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:14 AM

How can I get a wiring diagram for this machine

The mini manual with wiring diagram is available here but you will have to upgrade to apprentice to be able to download it. It does not contain a schematic for the control board and you will never find one for that.

Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics