Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana timer bad?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cllvt

cllvt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 03:41 AM

OK, 1998 Amana LWA50AW washer - the cycle knob select skirt was not engaging.  I removed the knob, skirt, timer, saw nothing obviously wrong, so reassembled everything.  Seemed to work, I assumed the knob has just been loose, and I was OK now.  :P

As we started the washer, and used it, it became clear that the "dot" on the skirt was not indicating the correct corrosponding point on the panel.  :( In other words, you might select a permanant press cycle, and while it did start/run, the cycle went much longer than the cycle should run, and when it finished it was halfway into the next indicated (delicate) cycle.   I assumed I had the skirt installed incorrectly, but while it WILL go on the shaft two ways (180 degrees opposed) it looks like it SHOULD only go on one way: on the shaft there is a flat, and opposite that a spline sort of protuberance on the skirt/ on skirt a flat and channel that looks like it should recieve the spline.   However, when installed "properly", the cycles do not appear to line-up, and if installed 180 degrees off, that does not appear to line up with appropraiet cycle start points either.

Is there a way to reset the timer sequence, or is it possible it is slipping or something?  Do I need a new timer?  I saw on one sight that the "timer seldom goes bad, and is often misdiagnosed".  Help?  Suggestions?   Thanks!!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,691 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:20 AM

You sure you don't need a new knob skirt?

http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=541798

#3 cllvt

cllvt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:30 AM

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

You sure you don't need a new knob skirt?

http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=541798

That does not appear to be the issue.  There is no play or slack between the skirt and the shaft.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,691 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 05:41 AM

Only reset for the timer is to replace it. If the cycles are running properly but are indicating incorrectly, then replace both the knob and the skirt. Been fooled by this before. Once. Only once.

#5 cllvt

cllvt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 06:54 AM

Yes.  The cycles seem to be working.  I will give the knob/shirt replacement a try.  Thanks!

#6 cllvt

cllvt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:56 PM

Well,  got up the courage to look this thing over again before ordering some parts, to make sure I got what I needed.  I pulled out the timer to examine for any obvious issues again, as the knob, and skirt seemed to be in great shape.  I did not see any issues, but it seemed to turn rather hard (the timer part itself).  The motor seemed to turn OK w/115V plugged in.

So, I pulled the top off the timer box.  Everything looked pretty good, so I put it back together, seemed to rotate a bit easier.   Washer start OK, cycles seem to line up fine with indicator, rinse/wrings OK ... but the knob no longer shuts the washer OFF.  In other words, to start you pull the knob out, to stop you are supposed to push the knob in, but pushing it doesn't do anything, it keeps running.  Lifting the lid still stops it.

Seems like with all the different issues, I want to point to the timer, but before I order a new one of those, could there be anything else causing this (still running with knob pushed in)?

Thanks!

Chris

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,691 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:09 PM

That's definitely a bad timer, mi amigo. Given the failure-to-turn-off that you've seen, it's likely that the bad timer is the only thing going on. :dude:

#8 cllvt

cllvt

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 02:05 AM

Thanks!  :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics