Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Laundry Center model # 417.02000 No Spin

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 csilva79

csilva79

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 12:20 PM

The dryer seems to work like usual, but when I turn on the washer every cycle will fill, wash, rinse, then no spin....it drains because I can hear water flowing out, but there is a little water sitting in the bottom that I am assuming is just from wet clothes. 

The center agitator goes in the wash, but the barrel doesn't go for the spin.  Could it just be a belt or something?

I know NOTHING about appliances whatsoever.  My dad is coming tomorrow to have a look but I would like to have some information for him to go by because we need this washer to work!  Please help, I have 2 small children who can't stay clean, and an small apartment filled with hanging wet clothes.  Any advice whatsoever is greatly appreciated.....

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:07 PM

Take the front panel off of the washer. There are 2 screws at the bottom, and two spring clips at the top. Use a stuff putty knife to release the clips, You slide the blade between the front panel and the top to locate and release the clips. Slide the panel down to release if from the side cabinet panels.

With the front off, put it in spin and watch the belt and pulleys. If the drive motor is turning, but the belt isn't, remove the belt and see if it has burned areas and cracks. Just push in the idler pulley some to get some slack, and loop it off the gearcase pulley. Remember how it was on.

Also, try turning the gearcase pulley by hand and see if it turns free. If so, start with a new belt. Belt replacement is easy, don't even need a tool. Just have to weasel it around some, and push in the idler pulley to get some extra slack in the belt.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 csilva79

csilva79

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 07:05 PM

Thanks, I will try this tomorrow and let you know how it goes. :) Fingers Crossed.....

#4 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 03:24 AM

Also, only a factory belt will work, and I mean ONLY a factory belt. They are a special construction and composition, so you gotta use their belt.

And, make sure everything is clean and dry before you put the new belt on. Don't get any grease on the belt , I don't even take it out of the wrapper until I'm ready to put it on. Wash and dry your hands before you put the new belt on to avoid fouling the new belt.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#5 csilva79

csilva79

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 10:41 AM

I took the cover off, and everything looked ok, the washer is fine working now, but there is a little smell of burning rubber.  Any ideas?

#6 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:36 PM

A worn belt gets the motor hot because of excess slipping. When it gets hot you get smell, and sometimes the motor is hot enough for it's thermal limiter to open and stop the motor. Then it won't run for maybe a couple hours untill it cools down.

Start by replacing the belt.

#7 Russ

Russ

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 04:36 AM

Yep... Why has not a class-action Lawsuit been addressed ?  I finally found 1 person at the Sears store I purchased the unit at to listen.   If they have not upgraded the support bracket, made of weak cast alumininum, I might get one year of use on a new one.  This was a FLAWED design.   Any one who owns this washer should be reimbursed for all costs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics