Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

The Revenge of the Maytag Washers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:28 PM

OK, Whirlpool has totally got out of hand with their parts prices.  I had a Maytag Dependable Care top load washer with a totally ruined mounting stem, boot, & seal and a ruined tub bearing, but this one was down a basement  in really hard well water, and also ruined was the transmission, brake package and the lower spin bearing, so this washer was totalled. 

Then, later that day, I also get a call on a Maytag Bravos washer which I call the (fake) Bravos washer because it is nothing more than a modular vertical washer without an agitator. My customer had just bought this washer from a friend who had it in storage for about a year.  Well, sure enough, even though it was only 3 years old and only used a couple of times, the main tub seal and the bearing (the bearing is part of the gearcase) was totally ruined. $300 just in parts to fix this machine, so again another washer for the landfill.

One good thing about the old Whirlpool belt drive washers and the Whirlpool direct drive washers is that the gearcase remained stationary during the spin cycle and they didn't eat tub seals and tub bearings.

Scott Wolf

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 11 June 2014 - 09:02 AM

OK, Whirlpool has totally got out of hand with their parts prices.  I had a Maytag Dependable Care top load washer with a totally ruined mounting stem, boot, & seal and a ruined tub bearing, but this one was down a basement  in really hard well water, and also ruined was the transmission, brake package and the lower spin bearing, so this washer was totalled. 

Then, later that day, I also get a call on a Maytag Bravos washer which I call the (fake) Bravos washer because it is nothing more than a modular vertical washer without an agitator. My customer had just bought this washer from a friend who had it in storage for about a year.  Well, sure enough, even though it was only 3 years old and only used a couple of times, the main tub seal and the bearing (the bearing is part of the gearcase) was totally ruined. $300 just in parts to fix this machine, so again another washer for the landfill.

One good thing about the old Whirlpool belt drive washers and the Whirlpool direct drive washers is that the gearcase remained stationary during the spin cycle and they didn't eat tub seals and tub bearings.

It seems to me whirlpool doesn't want appliance business to continue to repair their machines.  Their parts are priced in such a way that a DIY can get er done, but not the professional.

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:58 AM

It is heartbreaking to have to condemn a Newton made Maytag or WPL direct drive, and when I can replace it with an Amana VMW for around $400, it's a no brainer for the customer.

It's even more painful to put one of these units on the scrap heap.  A real tug of war takes place in my head, one side says "I think I can save it", while the other side says, "How much time and money can I sink into it and still roll it over for a profit?"

By the way, the back shop is full of "special projects".  Guess which side has been winning lately.

#4 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 29 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

I always thought the spinning transmission was strange. I never liked any of the Maytags, even the Dependable Care. I thought the old belt-drive Whirlpool was a better washer..

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#5 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,876 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:00 PM

The only things I hated about the belt drive Whirlpool washers and the new VMW washers is that you have to work underneath them.  For some reason Whirlpool engineers hate having a removeable front panel on any of their top load washers.

Scott Wolf

#6 AQAppliances

AQAppliances

IkkĊ-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

I have been seeing a lot of newer washers lately. I have to admit I would much rather work on the older stuff. The newer stuff seems like it has a lot of unecessary electronics and the parts cost much more. It seems that the average repair for a newer washer is about twice as much as an older one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics