Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

You did what?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Lion Imperial or Shiner Bock

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

So tell me some of your stories about customers who did something un-dang-believable.

Had a guy tell me he'd put in a bearing kit on a WTW6600SW1 a few years ago and the bearing had gone out.  Since then he'd had surgery and he didn't feel he was physically up to it.  So he wanted to know if I'd put in the replacement bearing.

You know, it honestly never occurred to me that someone would open up a part package with an instruction book -- an instruction book that very clearly says "use every part" -- THROW THE INSTRUCTIONS AWAY, look up how to change just the bottom bearing on YouTube, ("well, that was the only one that was bad, you see") and then throw the other parts away "because he didn't need them."

So yeah, that machine is pretty well done.  Based on the neat YouTube trick he found, the outer ring of the bottom bearing is embedded in the outer tub and ain't ever comin' out. He kept telling me "well, I'm a farmer so I just farmered it." 

Gah.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:40 PM

Like the Cat Lady that washes the kitty litter boxes in the Samsung dishwasher...........She does not  "wash her dinner plates at the same time"  as the litter boxes...........But when  the kitty litter clogs the pump with bits of clay and POO....."It's the non-clumping style " sez she..........

#3 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:47 AM

That reminds me of the "no wash" KitchenAid dishwasher I did.... When I looked to see what was clogging up the sump, I found a nest of hypodermic needles... I held one up with a pair of needlenose and just stared at the guy.  He tells me "My wife is a vet and she gives the dogs injections. So she washes the needles in the dishwasher." 

#4 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

Or the countless times the customer disassembles the WPL T/L direct drive washer by removing the rear panel, losing the screws in the process, and leaving the unit in pieces before calling for service.  When scheduling, I always pay attention to the phrase "My boyfriend/husband/father in law/neighbor checked it", and advise the customer if the unit has to be reassembled just to diagnose, it will cost more to repair.

#5 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,012 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:07 PM

Or this...

"I did you a favor it's already on my back porch torn apart. You will have plenty of room to work on it."

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#6 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:11 PM

Cleaned the greasy grill parts in the dishwasher...

Or the countless times the customer disassembles ...

Simple, we don't work on appliances that have bee disassembled by the customer, especially if the wire harness has been removed...

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions held by my employer. All data and information provided is for informational purposes only.

Big Brother

#7 mark mac

mark mac

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:05 PM

Can you look at my washer it's leaking, where is it,I disconnected it and put it in the garage

#8 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:02 PM

My favorite is rubber backed rugs that have been washed too many times and the rubber backing clogs up the drain pump or dogbeds and the fur clogs up the pump.

Scott Wolf

#9 DanInKansas

DanInKansas

Kohai

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:40 AM

My favorite is rubber backed rugs that have been washed too many times and the rubber backing clogs up the drain pump or dogbeds and the fur clogs up the pump.

The same people who are honestly surprised that you can't wash a blanket in a machine without it eventually coming apart and destroying the blanket and the drain pump. 

Or this...

"I did you a favor it's already on my back porch torn apart. You will have plenty of room to work on it."

At my last gig, there was a legend of a customer who was an engineer who had completely dismantled the nonfunctioning dishwasher in order to "make it easier for you." 

#10 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,012 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

The same people who are honestly surprised that you can't wash a blanket in a machine without it eventually coming apart and destroying the blanket and the drain pump. 

At my last gig, there was a legend of a customer who was an engineer who had completely dismantled the nonfunctioning dishwasher in order to "make it easier for you." 

Hello sir,

Goodbye.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#11 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

Cleaned the greasy grill parts in the dishwasher...

Simple, we don't work on appliances that have bee disassembled by the customer, especially if the wire harness has been removed...

A customer actually cleaning their grill?  Surely not!  Seems like they add extra crud to their overpriced grills before calling for service. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics