Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Quiet Part 1 - DU1055XTPQ4 - Buzzing 1-2 mintues into cycle

Buzzing Pump Motor Quiet Partner 1 DU1055XTPQ4 Circulation Impeller

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Grasshopper509

Grasshopper509

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Right now? Hoegaarden

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:22 AM

Greetings,

I have a Quiet Partner 1 (model DU1055XTPQ4) dishwasher. After the cycle begins the dishwasher fills up, seems to fill fine as I hear water circulating. The 1-2 minutes after start (I'm assuming the washing is to begin after a few gallons are in tub) I hear a loud continuous buzzing. Clearly other than the buzzing nothing is happening. It drains just fine when I hit the cancel button in 1-2 minutes like normal.

Perhaps coincidentally about a month ago we had a plastic lid fall through, melt a little, and a few small pieces chip off.

I broke down and cleaned out from the tub side all the way through the accumulator, chopper assembly, etc. Found a moderate amount of junk including plastic and pea size of ceramic, noting nothing significant past the chopper screen.

That didn't fix the problem. I've broken down the entire pump assembly. I WANT TO: replace the circulation motor itself, just hoping that will fix the issue. I can't really bench test the motor or anything myself. This model is a one-pump two-way motor correct? So I'm worried if it is filling and draining okay, will the motor fix it?

I don't know how to remove the impeller, as I was told there could be a jam or foreign object there. Nothing visible. I can see no blockages in the sump housing or elsewhere, and water seems to enter and exit easily.

Is replacing the motor likely to fix the problem? The impeller is included with the motor. Would getting the motor bench tested be best? To make certain it's the issue? It's the only motor in the unit right, sure sounds like a motor that's failing...

Thanks for any help you can provide!!   

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:14 PM

Might try replacing the chopper assembly first, see if that takes care of the noise.   Part number: 8268383

Part number: 8268383

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 27 June 2014 - 06:32 PM.

#3 Grasshopper509

Grasshopper509

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

For $20 that seems workable to me. It seemed to sping freely when addressed from inside the tub.

I talked to an electrician I know and he said he'd could work me through testing the motor. I've heard these motor bearings can go bad; he thingsk the fact that the motor doesn't rotate paticularlly smoothly (a little chunky, gritty feeling) suggests the bearing might be shot.

I also talked to another repair guy who was very friendly and suggested pulling the impeller; just can't figure out how to pull it apart...

Thanks for the suggestion I'll keep posting my results.

Thanks!!

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:05 AM

If you were able to turn the impeller with or without the chopper blade installed but it was crunchy when turning the seal has failed and let water get to the front motor bearing and destroyed the bearing.

Most likely if you had taken notice it was telling you there was a problem long before it completely quit working.  Lots of the time no one notices the problem because they just get used to the new louder noise the machine starts making - it gets a few steps louder, still since you've already got used to it being loud you think nothing of it and let it continue until it no longer runs.

The humming noise you are hearing after the fill is the motor trying to run but being that the bearing is in such bad shape the motor can't start up, to much resistance to start by the power of the motor windings alone.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,639 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:52 AM

For failed motor problems on these dishwashers, I like to replace the entire motor-sump assembly Part number: AP4434612

Part number: AP4434612

You could replace just the motor and save $50  Part number: AP4434021

Part number: AP4434021

#6 Grasshopper509

Grasshopper509

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

That makes a ton of sense now that you mention it. We usually run it in the middle of the night on delay. One night several weeks ago I was up and thought wow that's loud. Then we ran it one morning and I realy was surprised and said "it always this loud?" That was the last time it actually ran and the dishes didn't get cleaned. Makes perfect sense now.

Kind of debating on the whole sump assembly or not. Want to save money but I kind of get the logic of getting new seals; hoping to get a lot of life from the machine.

Thanks for the help, you folks are great! Cheers

#7 Grasshopper509

Grasshopper509

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 01:48 PM

I ordered and replaced the entire motor and sump assembly. Having the new seals seems like a good idea. Interesting the accumulator looks a little different. Everything runs great now!!

I was able to dissasemble the motor a bit and found the culprit. There are two bearings, one was fin and one blew up. Interesting to see how it fell apart; there is material that is floating around and the sheild blew off, you could see the bearing cage sitting in there funny.

Always nice to know exactly what went wrong.

Thanks for the help again!

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,639 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 07 July 2014 - 02:33 PM

Great job, thanks for letting us know. And good choice on going with the motor-sump assembly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics