Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

jason conley

maytag mhwe201yw00 wont spin up high/never stops

4 posts in this topic

I have a Maytag mhwe201yw00. when it gets to the spin mode it never spins fast. The time gets to 1 and just sits there (20 plus min.).I ohmed the motor windings and they where 6.5 between any two wires. i checked dc voltage at the blue wires and got 5 volts. i ohmes out the tach and it was in the 100's (i don't remember the actual amount but do remember it was in the right area according to the tech sheet.) Any ideas on what to check next and how to check it? i ran a diagnostic check as well and it still only spins slowly.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Have you checked your drum bearings?

Have you checked your drum bearings?

I have checked the bearings and they are fine. Drum turns very easy and not leaking at all. Machine is only 2 years old (not that age means anything now a days) There is no play in the drum. i have replaced them in other models. I did read earlier that it could be a communication issue. If the connections are good and the harness is good then how do you know if its the ccu or mcu that's the problem. Is there a way to "hotwire" the motor to see if it will spin at high speeds? I didn't mention in my original post that i have fifteen plus years of hvac experience as well as restaurant equipment repair just to let you know i can run a meter.

You can't hotwire these motors-- they are 3-phase BLDC motors that run on a special AC voltage that varies in both frequency and amplitude to achieve speed and direction of rotation control.  

You've done all the electrical checks on the motor system-- verified equal resistances among the motor windings and that the inverter is getting the PWM signal (read as a a DC voltage) from the main control.  

Is all then water getting pumped out of the drum or do you still see water in the drum during this slow spin period?

If the drum is empty during the slow spin, then we need to get into diagnostic mode to retrieve any stored error codes.  Also run the diagnostic routine and see if the drum spins while in diagnostic mode.