Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

aa2by2

hotpoint htrbbs ge refrigerator working too hard? too loud?

5 posts in this topic

(note, i submitted this post yesterday, but for some reason it is not showing up)

hello

i have a GE hotpoint htr17bbs refrigerator.

there is no problem with maintaining the correct freezer and frig temps. the door gaskets appear fine.

my concern is that it works too hard (cycling on often and for a long time, and somewhat loudly). i also vacuumed the condenser coils even though there was not that much build up.

one time i had left the freezer door ajar  for a few hours which of course caused the compressor and fans to run non stop and for ice to build up on the evaporator coils. could this have burned out a compressor winding? caused any other damage?

also the refrigerator is somewhat loud when it does operate.

is there a way to check "health" status of the frig? symptoms of a failing frig?

how long should the cooling cycle be on? how long should the off cycle be?

more info: according to the service manual, when the temperature setting dial is set to "5", the frig temp is supposed to be 33-39 F, and the freezer temp -2F. however, i have to set the dial to "7" ( a colder setting than 5) to get 36F and 0F,

respectively. the dial merely controls a damper, so it appears that the compressor and/or condenser fan is not working efficiently as it should.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

This was my answer to your original post: If the compressor windings burnt out you wouldn't have any cooling. There isn't any set amount it takes to cool. This uses a thermostat that has a capillary tube filled with a gas that opens and closes the contacts depending on temperature changes. Compressors do tend get louder as they get older, or they run louder if you have a defrost issue. The back panel in your freezer section would be covered in frost if you did indeed have a defrost issue, and the fresh food section would not cool.

if i get a "kill-o-watt" meter (measures electric usage of whatever is plugged into it) and use it for the refrigerator:

1) how much kwhr usage would be too much?

2) if too much, what would be the diagnosis? anything to fix?

frig is only 6 years old

If the freezer door was left open, there may be some frost or ice buildup at least partially in the air returns or diffuser that could restrict air flow.  You can remove the rear evaporator cover and inspect, or just turn the unit off for 24-48 hours and allow it to de-ice on it's own.

Get an amp/watt meter & monitor amp reading.   Compressor should pull 1.2 to 1.5 amps running & defrost system should pull around 3.3 to 3.5 I recall offhand.   If that is the case you should not have any worries.