Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Elite Refrigerator model 10653606202 In Door Ice and Water Dispensers Nonfunctional

Ice and Water Dispensers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MaChWi

MaChWi

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Firestone DBA

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

Hello,

My Kenmore Elite side by side refrigerator suddenly stopped dispensing ice and water from the door.  There are no motor sounds from the augur or the water pump when depressing the tongue switches on the outside.  When opening the freezer door the ice reservoir is full, it's mounted in the door.  There is an optical sensor beside the Ice Maker ON/OFF switch.  When I depress the door switch with my finger simulating the door being closed the optical sensor seems to be connecting because the little red flashing light stops flashing and stays on steady.  There is ice in the ice maker and the bucket reservoir as mentioned before.

I changed the water filter today thinking it might be the problem.  Didn't help.

I've also noticed a little frost buildup.  I know this means the flap isn't closing all the way and letting heat into the freezer.  From what I can tell it is now closing all the way just from removing the ice bucket and dumping it and operating the outside controls with the freezer door open.  I can see the flap slowly close.

I'm thinking it's the augur motor since there is no motor sound.  Perhaps just micro switches?  I saw a YouTube video of how to pop off the front dispenser plate.  Thinking of doing that but first want to post here and see what advice is available.

The freezer is set to zero degrees and the refrigerator is set to 37 degrees.

Thank you for any assistance you can give.  Sorry if I've left out any info.

Would like to fix myself, Sears has enough of my money.

Shall I post photos of the Fridge?

Regards,

Mark Williams :wink:

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BryanS

BryanS

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

Part number: ap2988571

Part number: ap2988571

More than likely your bracket is broken and the paddles aren't even hitting the microswitches. Pop that dispenser cover off and the bracket, then you can manually push the button on the switches. Those micro switches are held on by 2 little plastic posts and break quite often.

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 08 July 2014 - 02:34 PM.

#3 MaChWi

MaChWi

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

Great!  I will try it.  Thanks very much.

Mark

#4 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:53 PM

Also check the ice door hinge for damage.  The hinge pin is held in place by two plastic tabs that are part of the dispenser housing.  Sometimes the RH tab can break, interfering with the ice doors ability to properly close and seal.  If damage has occurred to the hinge, order and install Ice Door Kit.

P/N Part number: 8201756

Part number: 8201756

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 08 July 2014 - 03:14 PM.

#5 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,651 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:03 AM

If everything quit working all at once then I really wouldn't expect it to be the broken switch mounts.

You never mentioned if the light in the dispenser area still works or not, (maybe already has been burnt out for some time so not noticed).

Looking at the owners manual it looks like your dispenser might have a lock control - that would be the first thing to check just to be sure it didn't get switched.  Also if the freezer light/door switch is bad it would think door is opened so nothing in the dispenser would work.  Another common area that would cause everything to quit at once would be a broken wire at the door hinge that runs power to the dispenser controls.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#6 MaChWi

MaChWi

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

All great advice.  Just got to find the time.  Too much work.  Will let you know.

The light does work and it is not locked.

Thanks very much.

#7 MaChWi

MaChWi

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted Today, 10:52 AM

Well, pulled off the dispenser panel and sure enough the clip holding the ice dispenser microswitch was broken.  The water side looks intact.  I manually pressed the ice microswitch and pushed a glass against the ice dispense tongue and no ice, no motor noise.  Hmmmm.   What now?

Thanks,

Mark

#8 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted Today, 12:23 PM

If the actuator button on the microswitch clicks, it's probably ok.  You could test it with an ohmmeter or jump it to be sure.  But chances are you may also have a faulty or frozen auger motor.  First, remove the ice bin from door.  Then, remove the shaft guard, coupler, spring and shaft.  You can access the motor by removing the rectangular panel at the base of the ice chute on the inside freezer door.  Remove the four 1/4 mounting screws and disconnect the wire harness.  Inspect the wire connectors for damage or corrosion.

Sometimes these motors can freeze up, so first try to thaw it out by leaving it out for a day or so.  Reinstall and check operation.  If it works, great!  Double check the ice door for any warm air intrusion and replace the damaged switch mounting bracket.  If it doesn't, provided the microswitch checks good, replace switch mounting bracket and auger motor.

Auger motor P/N Part number: 2188869

Part number: 2188869

Edited by PDuff, Today, 12:25 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics