Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE gas range JGSP28SEK4SS bake ignitor screws hard to remove

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 frunch

frunch

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:River Horse Hipp-O-Lantern Pumpkin Ale

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:14 PM

This is more of a general inquiry, but I wanted to make sure to post with a model # for reference. I had to change a bake ignitor on one of these ranges today and had a hell of a time getting the old screws out. I run into this on other models as well. It seems that the GE XL44 ranges with a round ignitor and machine screws are generally easy to remove, as are the Frigidaire models with the rectangular ignitor and machine screws. But this one, among many others, are almost always cross-threading when I go to remove them. I figure it's from expansion/contraction. Anyway, can anyone share with me the tricks or tools that make these easier to remove? I managed to get the screws out of the one I was working on today, but not without spending a solid 10+ minutes working the screws with my big wire cutters. 

I look forward to seeing what my fellow Appliantologists do in these situations! I usually fight and cuss until they're out, but there has to be a better way!

Thanks!

Trevor

Edited by frunch, 15 July 2014 - 06:15 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 vee8power

vee8power

Kohai

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Folgers

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:00 PM

Sometimes I take the whole burner out. Sometimes I grind, cut, do what I have to, even replace the burner.

#3 SANTA

SANTA

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Windsor/Molson

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

I've found that a couple drops of zoom oil or similar lubricant on the back of the screw before you try to loosen it works well. Someone else mentioned that a long time ago in another post and I tried it and it has worked every time. I've used the mini hack saw method before. Not fun. 

#4 suampman

suampman

Kohai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:redbridge

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

A slight turn in the tighten direction first, will sometimes break the threads loose.

#5 micabay

micabay

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:40 PM

Best method yet.... dish soap, all kitchens have them, so no need to stock some on the truck.  Just add a small dab on the threaded side of the screw and work it back and forth slowly....  In the last 18 months that I've been doing appliance repair full time, we have only had to drill out one screw.....  and that was mainly because i got inpatient and forgoed the dish soap....

Edited by micabay, 15 July 2014 - 10:40 PM.

#6 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:37 PM

I too use micabay's method.  You may not want to use actual oil because oil is flammable and the customer might complain about the oven smelling weird after the repair.  If I do have trouble getting the old screws out I usually wind up hack sawing the screws out.

Scott Wolf

#7 frunch

frunch

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:39 AM

Thanks for the responses, everyone! I'm going to try dish soap on the threads and tightening the screws before attempting to remove them. I'm actually looking forward to my next oven repair, now! :biggrin:

#8 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,688 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:12 AM

Your going to be amazed what just one little drop of dishsoap on the screw threads are going to do!!!!!!

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#9 micabay

micabay

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for the responses, everyone! I'm going to try dish soap on the threads and tightening the screws before attempting to remove them. I'm actually looking forward to my next oven repair, now! :biggrin:

Sometimes its tight to get some soap on the thread of the screws....  be creative, use a small flat tip screw driver if need be.  It is well worth it.

#10 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,618 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Citrus Mistress

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:57 AM

Best method yet.... dish soap, all kitchens have them, so no need to stock some on the truck. Just add a small dab on the threaded side of the screw and work it back and forth slowly.... In the last 18 months that I've been doing appliance repair full time, we have only had to drill out one screw..... and that was mainly because i got inpatient and forgoed the dish soap....

Great tip brother!!!
Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.tandnappliance.com

#11 frunch

frunch

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted Today, 11:29 AM

After being enlightened to the dish soap trick for removing the screws from the ignitor/burner assembly, I've been looking forward to trying it for myself. Naturally, no oven jobs came in since my initial post...until today! I came prepared to unleash the power of dish soap on those stubborn screws, and naturally they were being difficult. I applied a small amount of soap on each screw, tightened the screws, then slowly began unscrewing them. Like friggin' butter!!!  :woot:  I was amazed! They came out more easily than any I've encountered before, even when they would cooperate. I've dreaded removing those damn things because it's almost always been a fight. No more! Thanks a million guys! I just can't believe after all this time that the solution was so simple, and within reach sitting there on the counter nearby! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics