Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool WFW94HEXW2 E01 F06 error codes

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 randtm

randtm

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Corona

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

So, obviously from the title, my whirlpool washer is throwing the above error codes.  This one has me a bit stumped on what to do next.  From my research, I know these codes are most likely a comm problem between the MCU and the CCU.  I've pulled the MCU and visually inspected it.  It looks fine.  No burned traces or such.  The plastic cover is slightly discolored above the biggest chip on the board, apparently from heat, but the board looks fine.  I pulled and reseated all the connectors between the MCU and CCU.  They all seem tight.

My biggest problem is this particular washer doesn't seem to match anything I can find online for it.  It seems slightly different from all the videos and such that are supposed to match it.  For instance, everything shows a lower front access panel.  This unit has an all one piece front panel that can't be removed without taking the boot seal loose, etc.  I got into it from the back panel.  None of the connectors to the MCU match descriptions or videos either.  I realize that there are many models very similar with slight differences, but it makes the troubleshooting tough.  I did check the reading with my meter across the pins going to the motor from the MCU and I get 9 ohms, which doesn't match anything I've found online, but I have no idea if it's indicating a problem with the motor.

I suspecting the next step is to replace the MCU, but given the price of these parts, I wondering if there is additional troubleshooting I can do that would help pinpoint where the problem is?

We did take a fairly close lightning strike a few days ago and everything in the house flickered.  We then discovered our microwave has died also.  I'm guessing that that is likely the cause of the washer problems too, but not sure what to check or replace next.

Any pointers greatly appreciated!  Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,795 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

Did you do the tests specified in the tech sheet: door switch, drive system, continuity, TEST 1 (CCU power check) and TEST 3 (motor circuit)?  

Some illuminating videos for your grokking:

#3 randtm

randtm

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 01:00 PM

Doh! Posted too soon.  Before you replied, I was thinking, "if only I had the tech sheet".  Then realized from the parts diagram, I probably do.  Sure enough, right in front of me under the top cover.  I'm in the middle of doing those tests now, and then saw your post.  I'll post results.  Thanks.

#4 randtm

randtm

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:09 PM

Okay, I think I'm convinced.  I checked the CCU and it is outputing 120v when it tries to start the motor in diagnostics.  Then checked the inputs at the MCU and find it is reading 5v between GND and Vcc, and is reading 120v input from the CCU when I hear the CCU click and try to run the motor.  I had already checked the motor windings as I previously mentioned and they all read 9 ohms, which is in spec. as I see in the tech sheet.  I think it sounds like the MCU is bad as I suspected.  Anything I'm missing?

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,795 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

Last test is to disconnect the MCU from the CCU and see if that changes how the CCU does the diagnostics test.

#6 randtm

randtm

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

Okay, I'll go try that.  Interestingly, while it runs diagnostics, the display just keeps showing C00, even though I can hear it stepping through the steps shown in the tech sheet...

#7 randtm

randtm

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:28 PM

Okay, with all the connectors loose from the MCU, the diagnostics correctly displays the different C01-08 steps and ends with the same E01 F06 error.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,795 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

Okay, with all the connectors loose from the MCU, the diagnostics correctly displays the different C01-08 steps and ends with the same E01 F06 error.

Just to be clear:  is this a different result from when the MCU is connected to the CCU?

#9 randtm

randtm

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

Well, they both end with an E01 F06 error.  The difference is with the MCU disconnected, it behaves normally and steps through the C00 through C08 tests in the diagnostic.  When the MCU is connected, it steps through the tests, but continues to display C00 the whole time with the : flashing in between the C and the 00.

#10 randtm

randtm

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:50 PM

Well, this is discouraging.  I replaced the MCU since I could get that locally for as cheap as I could have it shipped expedited and after that, I now get an F01 E02 error.  Diagnostics behaves completely differently, and steps through the various tests displaying the C00-C08, and I can hear it try to engage the drive motor, but nothing happens.  I saw the drum give a small jerk one time trying to start to turn, but that was it.  It acts as though there is something broken in the drive mechanism, but since it is direct drive, I don't see how that could be possible.  When I try to turn the drum by hand, it easily turns.  So easily in fact, that it feels easier than I remember it normally being, again almost like the motor is not putting a load on it.  From the rear of the machine, if I turn the flywheel around the coil, it does turn the drum.  I'm stumped.  I was washing a heavy load of towels when the error first occurred, but I wouldn't think it was anything the machine couldn't handle.  Is is possible I have something mechanically broken in the machine, or is it possible that the lightning strike damaged something else too?  Not sure where to look next...

#11 randtm

randtm

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

Wait a minute...  looking at the tech sheet, this error sounds clearly like a bad MCU.  Is it possible they sold me a defective MCU?  That would certainly be frustrating.  Troubleshooting is bad enough without replacing a part with a defective part and being no better off.

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,795 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

If you had ordered the MCU through the part links or search box at this site, you could have returned it for a non-hassle refund for up to one year.  Takes the risk out of the whole experience.  This is true for ALL parts ordered through this site.  Oh well, lesson learned.   :wc:

#13 randtm

randtm

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:25 PM

Well, yes. I agree that if I had ordered the part through here I would have had no risk of it not fixing it and not being able to return it.  I love how helpful this forum is and I've had great experiences in the past ordering from AppliancePartsPros through this site.  But, sometimes the luxury of ordering on the web and waiting a few days for a part just isn't a great option.  We're very dependent on our washer and given I could troubleshoot in the morning, and have the part in hand that afternoon, waiting until into this next week was very difficult.  Given I got a bad replacement MCU, which could have happened to any supplier, that would have added even more days to the wait.  My local shop was also able to swap out the bad board the very next morning.  Maybe there's a lesson here on ordering from a place where everything is completely returnable, but there's also a lesson on sometimes you need to support your local shop so that they're there when you need something on the spot.

Regardless, while I'm still questioning if the MCU was bad, the second replacement MCU has not fixed it.  It's back to giving the same original codes of E02 F06.  I'm going to recheck the wiring again, but I suspect now that the CCU is the culprit.  Given I suspect a lightning strike, it's a good chance both electronic boards were damaged.  However, this time most certainly, since it is not clear that the CCU is the problem, I'll order it here where it is returnable if its not the problem.

I think the overall lesson here is next time, order everything that could be involved and return what isn't needed, but I'll be blunt and admit we're lousy at getting returns back in the mail and having to deal with them is something I really try to avoid.

#14 randtm

randtm

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

Whoa!  I said it was back to the original error, didn't I?  Just clicked with me, similar, but not the same.  Was an E01 F06, now it's an E02 F06.  I'm thinking has to be CCU, good chance both MCU and CCU were fried by lightning.  Oh well, got one on the way.  And yes, this time I went with APP.  They do happen to have the best mix of price, shipping speed, and returnability in this case.  Guess I'll report back Tues. or Weds.

#15 randtm

randtm

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted Today, 11:47 AM

Well, not a happy camper.  New CCU didn't fix it.  Still giving E02 F06 error codes.  Time to pull my meter back out and do more checks.  This has gotten ridiculous.  With a new MCU and CCU, I thought for sure I'd nail it.

#16 randtm

randtm

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted Today, 12:41 PM

So I'm thinking next most likely culprit is the UI control board.  I'm just a little concerned though.  In diagnostics, it runs water, runs the pump, runs the dispenser, just never tries to turn the drum.  The motor checks out 9 ohms on all leads, which should be good.  I'm just surprised a UI board error would make it never try to run the drum.  Does that make sense?  Could it be the UI control board and it never try to run the drum?  Don't want to just keep ordering parts if just another problem is going to show up after fixing one.  I'm starting to think I have or had multiple problems.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics