Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo
- - - - -

Troubleshooting a Glass Cooktop Element that Won't Stay On

range glass cooktop thermal limiter ribbon element troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:59 AM

Troubleshooting electric cooktop elements is usually straightforward.  Calrod elements (the coiled elements) are simple resistive heating elements.  

The elements used in glass cooktops are a little different.  For one thing, the heating element is an open ribbon element set into a base material instead of a calrod element where the entire heating element is sheathed in insulation and metal.  

Another big difference is glass cooktop elements is that they have a thermal limiter built into them.  

gallery_4_9_438756.png

One thing to be aware of is how that thermal limiter works because, if you don't, you could end up misdiagnosing a "problem" that doesn't really exist.  This video explains how these glass cooktop elements work and how to troubleshoot the element and infinite switch.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: range, glass cooktop, thermal limiter, ribbon element, troubleshooting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics