Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Bad Bearings in Outer Drum, Whirlpool Duet Washer, WFW9750WL02

Washer Duet Front-load Whirlpool

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 KLRKLR

KLRKLR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:47 PM

We are fighting with Whirlpool over an extended warranty on our front-load Duet washer (WFW9750WL02), which now sounds like a 747-8 from 5 ft. on takeoff during its spin cycle.  Our local appliance repair tech has diagnosed the issue as the bearings in the outer drum.  After doing some research, this appears to be a common issue with this machine.  The replacement part is really expensive, and of course, labor charges on top of materials really make it cost-prohibitive to repair.  The machine is 2 y/o and has had issues since its installation.  (Can you say, "new mother/circuit board" after only three wash loads?)  However, if we lose our fight over the warranty, the thought of spending $1200 out of pocket for a new machine certainly isn't pleasant.  I stumbled upon a set of parts that includes two bearings and an associated seal.  This costs right at $80.00, and actually is on sale through one source for $32.00.  Obviously this is not an OEM part, as Whirlpool's solution is to replace the outer drum itself.  The bearings/seal set is specifically labeled for front-loading machines, including our WFW9750WL02 model. 

Does anyone have any experience with this, and is it even worth trying?  I think you have to pretty well disassemble the washer even to replace the entire outer drum.  I can imagine that it'd be even more intricate or involved to try and replace only the bearings.  Then, the question is whether this is just throwing good money after bad.

Buehler, Buehler...anyone?

Thanks,

Karen

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,074 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:23 PM

I bet your talking about frontloadbearings.com.

I haven't had any experience with installing the bearing kits in those machines. No bearing replacement is better than the factory bearings. I myself would not attempt this. Who knows how long it would last. This is not a job you want to be doing multiple times. Stick with the oem replacement parts.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#3 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:38 PM

appliance man is correct however if you can't afford the 600 to 800 or more for the repair the yes you can change just the bearings and seal.  You do need to disassemble the entire washer,  just like as if you were changing the outer tub.  After you get the outer tub out you can knock out the bearing and seal and replace them.  Often times you need  the inner tub with the shaft because the shaft is bad.  Also inspect to see if bearings and seal is all you need.  If so then I'd do it at least it will work for a while until you can save enough money to get another washer.

Just my opinion

Doc

#4 KLRKLR

KLRKLR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:51 PM

Thanks for the input.  It's absolutely not worth the roughly $800 to fix this machine, if we were to "repair" as required.  If we had to spend that much out of pocket, then we'd just have to suck it up and shell out the $1200 for a new machine.  And...Whirlpool probably won't be on my list of candidates for washer replacement.  If the bearings end up being either a Band-aid fix -- or we find something else, like the shaft -- then that isn't something worth pursuing, either.

Appreciate the feedback and hope that Whirlpool stands behind its washer, as it should.  The warranty dispute is over an error *they* made.  I can only hope, although it's been almost an 8-week "pursuit" at this point.  The thought of replacing a 2 y/o washer makes me cringe!

Karen

#5 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:01 PM

I would hound Whirlpool relentlessly about the issue. I've had success with GE in getting the parts to do this kind of repair for free, but I tend to the needs of around 5,000 GE appliances.  If you can get the parts it's not a repair for the faint hearted and will require several hours of skilled labor to accomplish.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:52 AM

We are fighting with Whirlpool over an extended warranty on our front-load Duet washer (WFW9750WL02), 

Was this a dealer warranty or one purchased from Whirlpool Corporation?  I ask because I've not seen Whirlpool try to shirk valid warranty claims.  What was the nature of the warranty processing error you mentioned?

#7 KLRKLR

KLRKLR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:29 AM

(This is long...sorry.)  I bought the extended warranty from Whirlpool.  This entire thing will sound crazy, but you can't make this stuff up!  We bought the washer and dryer in Sept. 2011 while building a new house.  They remained in storage, in original boxes.  Construction delays led to a later installation date, late May 2012.  We moved in about June 1.  Washer was registered with Whirlpool with an install date of May 30, 2012.  (Their certified repair tech actually helped with registration when he came out to replace circuit board in mid-June 2012.)  After another service call in Sept. 2012, I thought it would be smart to purchase an extended warranty, since we'd had a couple of significant repairs within 6 months of installation.  Purchased extended warranty in Sept. 2012.  Since the one-year original manufacturer's warranty ran from May 30, 2012 to May 30, 2013, the extended warranty was supposed to run May 30, 2013 to 2014.  The warranty rep had difficulty processing that date range.  For whatever reason, it was entered as Sept. 2011 to Sept. 2012, coinciding with purchase date -- not installation or in-service date.  At the end of our very long conversation, he told me he was having difficulty editing the dates and would have to get with a supervisor to override or correct.  I got an email copy of the warranty and just filed it.  I didn't pay attention to its terms.

The spin cycle noise/bad bearings issue began in May 2014.  This should have been covered by the extended warranty.  Only when I pulled the contract to make arrangements for repair...through the warranty's servicing...did I realize that the contract dates were wrong.  I have been fighting this since the end of May and have escalated to Whirlpool's executive offices.  They confirmed that their database shows installation as May 30, 2012.  I thought that would be *the* key to resolving the dispute over the start/end of the extended warranty -- which should have taken effect at the end of the original manufacturer's warranty.

The warranty team called last week to confirm that they have changed the dates to reflect May 2013 to May 2014, or a May 30, 2012 installation date; however, the latest twist is that they actually *cancelled* the warranty contract two days after its issuance!  It appears that the rep who had difficulty entering the correct date range at the time of purchase went in and cancelled the original agreement -- but never reissued a corrected contract.  I was floored, as I thought I had a binding agreement from day one.  After the call last week, I went back and found the credit on our CC statement from two years ago.  Either I completely overlooked it at the time, or I assumed it was some bookkeeping thing and just ignored it.  I had my email copy of the contract, so it never occurred to me to follow-up.  And, since I certainly never authorized the warranty cancellation, it just wasn't on my radar.  We shall see whether they stand behind this, since their employee's or agent's mistake is what led to this latest issue. 

(Whew!  Does anyone need a cold one after reading this?!)

Karen

#8 KLRKLR

KLRKLR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:33 AM

For whatever reason, it was entered as Sept. 2011 to Sept. 2012

Sorry -- I meant that the ext. warranty period was incorrectly entered from Sept. 2012 to Sept. 2013 (not 2011 to 2012).  Either way, it was wrong.  Extended warranty coverage should have been through the end of May 2014.
KLR

#9 danoam

danoam

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

I quote the customer both front and rear tub parts, as well as the inner drum to cover my own butt. If I'm taking the time and tearing into the machine like that, I'm not taking any chances of it coming back to bite me. I did have one customer who got Whirlpool to send out a complete assembly and another tech and I installed it. All we had to do was switch over the door seal, weights and pulley.

#10 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Greenbush Starchicken Shotgun

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:37 PM

Sorry -- I meant that the ext. warranty period was incorrectly entered from Sept. 2012 to Sept. 2013 (not 2011 to 2012).  Either way, it was wrong.  Extended warranty coverage should have been through the end of May 2014.
KLR

At this point you only have one option:  call whirlpool's 800 number and state your case.

If you have other whirlpool products write down the model and serial numbers (before you call) of all them so you can demonstrate your loyalty to them.  

Mention previous repairs during the warranty period, and don't take "no" for an answer.  Ask for a supervisor if they wont help you and don't loose your temper (easier said than done). 

Good luck and please let us know the outcome!

#11 KLRKLR

KLRKLR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

Thanks, Thirstytech.  I can't tell you how many times I've called Whirlpool's 800 # and have been given the run-around.  I started documenting all this and communicating by email a few weeks ago. Since there is no official resource for escalation or executive complaints, I actually emailed a summary of this issue and history of communication to the CEO of Whirlpool.  I didn't expect him to respond personally, but at least he referred me to the executive staff (or had one of them respond to me).  I thought I had an advocate in that group two weeks ago.  Of course, at that point, I thought I was only dealing with the incorrect date range on the extended warranty.  Now, with this latest snafu of the contract's cancellation, the tide seems to have turned. 

My Whirlpool executive staff contact asked today if I had questioned Assurant (the company that holds Whirlpool's extended warranties) about *why* they cancelled my contract.  Yes, I did - and no, they have no answer.  Their records just show that it was cancelled.  The Whirlpool executive staff person said she would again contact Assurant and ask if they would reinstate my coverage.  That comment was qualified with "...but I cannot make that decision for them."  I have been polite with every exchange with each representative along the way, two of whom have gone offline to speak to supervisors. 

My last note to the Whirlpool executive staff member reminded her of the $12K in other Whirlpool/Jenn-Air appliances we have, as you suggested.  I also told her that I am not clear on the relationship between Whirlpool and Assurant, nor should I need to be.  I don't know if Assurant is a subsidiary or an *agent*.  I just know that when I called to purchase extended coverage, I called *Whirlpool*.  Every call since then appears to be dealing with Whirlpool -- not Assurant. So, surely Whirlpool Corporation can wield influence over its own agents or subsidiaries to satisfactorily resolve this issue.

#12 john63

john63

Dean of LG Appliantology

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:21 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assurant

To eliminate:

Musty odor

L-O-N-G cycle times

Dingy/yellowing whites

Suds error message

Slow spin speeds

Intermittent water leaks (from rear of washer)

And other annoying symptoms which vary brand-to brand.

Read below:

The *correct* amount of HE (High Efficiency) detergent that should be used in any front load or agitatorless top load washer with tub sizes 3.0 cu ft and larger is as follows:

HE: (2) Tablespoons Per Wash Load

HE 2X: (1) Tablespoon

HE 3X: (1) Teaspoon

Perform a TUB CLEAN CYCLE every (4) months.

Use: "Tide Washing Machine Cleaner"

#13 KLRKLR

KLRKLR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

UPDATE:  Assurant once again denied reinstatement of their contract, even at the request of Whirlpool's executive staff.  However, as a goodwill gesture, Whirlpool gave me a one-year, no-cost service plan.  I called today and have a service appointment scheduled for Monday morning.  Wish me luck! 

#14 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

sounds promising!  Wish you luck.  Let us know.

Doc

#15 KLRKLR

KLRKLR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:31 PM

Just an update -- and another question...

The tech came out Wednesday to replace the drum(s) on the washer, and that part went great.  However, I attempted to wash a load of laundry after that repair and was foiled once again.  I was smart enough to *stand by* the washer vs. leaving it unattended.  As soon as it started to fill, I heard a noise and then water began spewing out.  Fortunately, I turned it off quickly and didn't have too much water to mop.  (Thank goodness, as the laundry room backs to areas with hardwood flooring!)  The tech came back out today, thinking that a dispenser hose had popped loose.  He opened the machine and found that one of the hoses actually had burst.  It was split from connection to connection.  A pic is attached, with the split hose circled in red.  This is at the back of the machine, in case you can't tell from the pic.  It's the hose that comes in, attaches to some type of part, and then connects again through another hose into the dispenser.

Any ideas on why this hose split?  It's certainly odd that it would have happened after the repair and reassembly, but I can't see anything that looks like the hose was pinched or clamped, etc. to cause a blockage (thus leading to its blowout).  I'm thinking there was some type of excess pressure that caused the problem, but I can't connect the dots on the "why?".  Of course, we had to order the hose.  It should be fixed Thursday.  Oh well, what's another week without use of this washer?   :whistling:  

Thanks for any input!

#16 KLRKLR

KLRKLR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:58 PM

Until I can figure out how to embed an image, here is a link to the pic of the split hose:

https://www.dropbox....asher hose2.jpg

washer%20hose2.jpg

#17 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

that is strange, there really isn't any pressure in the hose, it just goes to the dispenser, i would make sure it is connected to the right port on the dispenser, some of them have ports that lead to nowhere then pressure will build up

#18 KLRKLR

KLRKLR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

Can I take a pic from a different angle, or not so close-up, that would possibly show a problem?  I can go find some schematic on this washer to see if it shows the correct hose connections.  I just can't tell at all where this one could be wrong/bad.  I'm not a washer surgeon, though!

#19 Thirstytech

Thirstytech

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Greenbush Starchicken Shotgun

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:00 PM

Can I take a pic from a different angle, or not so close-up, that would possibly show a problem?  I can go find some schematic on this washer to see if it shows the correct hose connections.  I just can't tell at all where this one could be wrong/bad.  I'm not a washer surgeon, though!

The good news is that it is a $20 part:  w10275565

:pint1:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Washer, Duet, Front-load, Whirlpool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics