Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE elec dryer: top of dryer gets too hot DBXR463EG6WW

dryer top gets too hot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 frunch

frunch

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:River Horse Hipp-O-Lantern Pumpkin Ale

Posted Yesterday, 05:35 PM

I had an interesting call come in for a GE electric dryer, the customer said it got very hot to touch on the top panel, specifically in the area close to the control panel and also on the metal panel behind the control panel. When I went and tested it, it didn't act up. It heated and tumbled, but the panel did not get hot--just a little warm if anything. I used my digital thermometer to monitor the temperature, and it was cycling the heat on and off consistently. My first thought was a clogged vent or exhaust duct in the dryer, but everything was clear. Not only was it clear, but the vent was also very short and went out an outside wall. The customer was/is afraid of it starting a fire. I assured them that there are several thermostats and safetys that should prevent that from happening, but I'd still like to get to the bottom of it regardless. I even tested the dryer with the timer set to 40 minutes and *did not* turn the dryer on to see if maybe it's powering the heating element when it's turned off. Rare scenario, but I've seen it before. It does not appear to be powering the element when it's off.  I checked for the heating element shorting to metal, and did not find any evidence visually or with my meter. With the dryer re-assembled it, I tested it one more time, and it is not making the top panel hot--again, it was warm at most. I just realized now that I never tested it with clothes in it. I presume that would force the heat to stay on a bit longer, and perhaps produce the results they had called me over for. 

Is this thing just a piece of crap? Or is there something I overlooked? I'd love to get to the bottom of this, can anyone offer any suggestions? Again, the model is DBXR463EG6WW. 

Thanks!

Trevor

P.S. What I'm referring to by the 'top panel', I mean the big rectangular panel in front of the control panel that gets removed when taking the dryer apart by removing the 2 philips-head screws behind the door. Just trying to clarify as well as I can, hopefully that helps... :turned:

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,741 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted Yesterday, 05:55 PM

You should have double checked that both elements are ok. Sometimes one of the elements will short to ground before it breaks. Remember, most GE electric dryers use 2 heating elements in a parallel circuit.

Scott Wolf

#3 frunch

frunch

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:River Horse Hipp-O-Lantern Pumpkin Ale

Posted Today, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the info, Scott! I'm going to schedule with the customer to take another look at it, and in particular take a much closer look at the heating element. I'll check back in when I get the chance to go over there. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dryer, top gets too hot

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics