Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Frigidaire refrig FGUS2642LF2 ice dispenser not working

Frigidaire refrigerator ice dispenser not working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 frunch

frunch

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:River Horse Hipp-O-Lantern Pumpkin Ale

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

I checked out a Frigidaire refrig that's less than 2 years old where the ice dispenser has stopped working. When activated, the flap opens for a split second and then closes. I can hear the solenoid that opens the flap activate, but then it shuts right back off. I'm not convinced it's necessarily the switch that activates it, because it will dispense water properly-and for as long as you hold the switch closed. Any ideas what can be causing this?

One other question: how do you access the solenoid etc behind the dispenser control panel? It looks like I have to pry the outer trim off, but I didn't want to go about it the wrong way and snap/break something. 

Suggestions where to start tracking down the trouble-maker?

Thanks!
Trevor

Edited by frunch, 31 July 2014 - 12:44 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

These newfangled units with all the electronic controls have been very troublesome.  Mainly, the dispenser control board, the dispenser module and the main power board have had communication issues of not talking to each other. 

I would quote the customer for all 3 parts. Just explain to the customer that you didn't build the unit with all these electronic controls. 

Once you get the dispenser well drip tray removed there is one screw holding on the dispenser housing at the bottom, look for any other screws, but the dispenser trim should just pry off.  There is no just replacing the solenoid anymore, you have to replace the whole dispenser module.  The main power board is at the bottom of the unit behind the grille/kickplate, to access it , just remove the grille, a single 1/4 nut holds the board to the bottom of the refrigerator and then pull it forward. 

Here are the parts you will need:

Part number: 242009029

Part number: 242009029

Part number: 242114904

Part number: 242114904

Part number: 242074211

Part number: 242074211

Edited by Scottthewolf, 31 July 2014 - 03:48 PM.

Scott Wolf

#3 frunch

frunch

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:River Horse Hipp-O-Lantern Pumpkin Ale

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:01 PM

Wow, thanks for the detailed response! I'll be calling the customer tomorrow to schedule the repair...I'll follow up when I get the chance to get back over there.

Thanks again, that's some very useful info!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Frigidaire, refrigerator, ice dispenser not working

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics