Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool GB2FHDXWB00 defrost problem

repair parts help part location

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 twodotmike

twodotmike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:36 PM

Whirlpool GB2FHDXWB00 bottom freezer refrigerator, 4 years old...... freezer keeps icing over, refrigerator gets warm. Manual defrost through control panel works. Repeat problem. Repair service has defrosted refrigerator, replaced thermostat, replaced freezer thermistor (twice), added section of heating wire from defrost coil to inside of defrost drain tube.

Other than the above parts, what else is in the defrost system on this refrigerator? I did not see a separate defrost timer on the wiring diagram. This is getting quite frustrating.

I was thinking of replacing the control circuit board when I noticed on the wiring diagram that this refrigerator may have two thermistors, one for the freezer and one for the refrigerator section. Where is the refrigerator thermistor located and how do I access it? For that matter, where is the control board located and how do I access it?

It seems to me that since the defrost system appears to work, when manually initiated, that the defrost system components work when commanded "on". Besides the control board, what else might command the defrost system "on"?

Also, is there available an actual shop repair manual for this refrigerator?

Thank you

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

It's the control board. These units have been noted for the control boards not initiating the defrost cycle on it's own.

Part number: W10503278

Part number: W10503278

Edited by Scottthewolf, 01 August 2014 - 04:58 PM.

Scott Wolf

#3 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

That and the compressor relay sticks on those causing them to run nonstop so they can't defrost properly.

#4 twodotmike

twodotmike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:42 PM

BryanS...thanks for the info. Near as I can tell the compressor is not running all the time. Think I'll try the board. I will the compressor relay in mind for future reference. Again, thanks for your response.

twodotmike

Scottthewolf...thank you for your response. I was leaning in that direction. Thanks for the "push".

twodotmike

#5 lvasquez11

lvasquez11

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:50 PM

Bryan S means relay on control brd sticks close cuasing frosting up issue.  N not relay on compressor .  

im surprised service tech missed it. 

#6 twodotmike

twodotmike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:10 PM

Ivasquez11...thank you for the clarification on the relay location. I was thinking of the relay(s) down at the compressor area.

twodotmike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics