Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

LG WM2050CW tool P/N 383EER4004A

washer repair washer tools washers

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 twodotmike

twodotmike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

LG Washer model WM2050CW - ...My son-in-law is thinking of replacing the tub to door boot due to moldy smell on clothes. Washer has been through many 'Clean Cycles" and the boot has been cleaned at various times with either white vinegar or bleach. Not much, if any, help. Trying to help him out, I read up on replacing the boot and came upon two tools for removing the clamp rings. I see that the boot can be replaced without the tools, they just supposedly make it easier. I'm all for making jobs easier and one can never have too many tools!

I ordered both tools for him. The tool number Part number: 383EER4001A

Part number: 383EER4001A

(straight prongs) makes sense as it "expands" when you squeeze the plier handles together. However, I don't see a use for the tool number Part number: 383EER4004A

Part number: 383EER4004A
(bent prongs) in removing the boot springs. This tool's prongs actually "contract" when the plier handles are squeezed. I don't see them as being useful for removing the boot spring, as the don't "expand" the spring. They appear to be for an inside type spring or clip that must be "compressed" to be removed from a groove on the inside of a component.

Exactly where is the bent pronged tool, Part number: 383EER4004A

, used? Thank you.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,365 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

The bent pronged tool is used to reconnect the inner door boot clamp.  Essential for this task!  

#3 twodotmike

twodotmike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

Shōgun...Thank you for the info.

At first I thought that the 2 tools were both "expanders" and that they just were for two different size retaining rings, but now that I have the 383EEER4004A tool (bent prongs) in hand (the straight prong plier is due to arrive Monday) I see that isn't so.

As the spring on the retaining loop needs to be expanded in order to come off the outside of the boot, and as the 383EEER4004A pliers contract when the handle is squeezed, I cannot visualize how this will work. When he actually does the replacement I guess I will find out. The 383EEER4001A plier (straight prong) makes perfect sense as it will "expand" the spring to allow it to be removed over the outside of the boot.

I really do appreciate your input, I just cannot visualize "contracting" pliers allowing the spring to be "expanded" in order to be removed or reinstalled. Maybe we are not talking about the same springs? I am talking about, I believe, seal P/N 4986ER0004F and its retaining rings/springs. This is the wide boot you see when you open the washer door.

As I said before, when he actually replaces the boot I'll see.

twodotmike

#4 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,876 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:56 AM

The inner tool I have would not pull the clamp together enough on the inner clamp. I ended up removing the center spring and bending the 2 arms of the pliers closer together. This gives you more pull on the clamp. Made it much easier for me but maybe mine just had a flaw.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#5 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:07 AM

The inner clamp tool doesn't really work that great, I think I'll try applianceman97's modification. An easier way than the tool involves using a self-tapping screw through the loop on the spring end of the clamp to hold it in place.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#6 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

I put the arms of the pliers in a vise and just tightened the vise up to bend them.

You get more pull if you hook the tool under the eye on the clamp vs in the eye. Just another tip that makes is easier for me.

#7 twodotmike

twodotmike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

Applianceman97

Nickfixit

Thank you both for the suggestions. I will keep the self tapping screw idea in mind as well as bending the plier prongs if necessary.

twodotmike

#8 Magenta#90

Magenta#90

Yamabushi

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

The Outer spring tool works fine, but the inner until now I have to use a rope to hook-up the spring, I may try your suggestions.

#9 twodotmike

twodotmike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

Today, Saturday, August 9, my son-in-law changed his LG washer door boot. The process was straight forward, as expected. Both outer and inner boot retaining ring/spring assemblies were removed and replaced using the straight pronged tool, P/N Part number: 383EER4001A

. This tool works well for the outer seal and is adequate for the inner seal, but still not ideal (it should expand a little more). Straight from the OEM factory, at this tool's cost, a user should not have to make any modifications to the tool for it work properly.

I tried the bent pronged pliers, P/N Part number: 383EER4004A

, on the inner retaining ring/spring assembly to see how it would work, and I still do not see how this tool will work to remove or install either of the boot seal retaining ring/springs. These pliers contract the spring, making the retaining ring tighter on the seal lip. They do not expand the spring, loosening it, so that the ring/spring unit can be removed over the outside of the boot seal.

Perhaps, some day, I can see a professional repair person use this tool correctly and then I'll know, but, for now, should we have to change the boot seal, again, we will just use the straight pronged tool, P/N Part number: 383EER4001A

Again, a big THANK YOU to all who replied to my inquiry. I do appreciate all of your suggestions.

twodotmike

#10 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:01 AM

TwoDotMike, I have been watching this discussion with great interest, I've seen the pictures of those tools before and thought the exact same thing you are asking and discussing about.

I don't have and have never seen those two tools in person but had seen the same pictures previously and couldn't ever figure out how or where the bent prong one that pulls the clamps tighter could ever be used?

I have made do with the the xpander rod tool mentioned previously and doing the front one by hand with small screwdrivers.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#11 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

the bent prong tool for the inner clamp is because the inner clamp has a hook, you contract the spring and then unhook the spring letting you take it off

#12 twodotmike

twodotmike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 04:46 PM

sh2sh2,

Now that the washer is closed up, I am trying to visualize the inner retaining ring/spring unit. I do remember seeing a loop in the retaining ring. I don't recall which end it was near, but, now, I'm guessing it is near the "hook" end of the retaining ring.

Using the bent pronged tool, are you saying that you place one prong of the tool in the loop and the other prong on the end of the spring and then, essentially, pull the spring over the hook?

If that is correct, then "haste does make waste" as we didn't think through the purpose of the loop, seeing as the outer retaining ring does not have a loop.

Thank you for your input.

twodotmike

#13 twodotmike

twodotmike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

Budget Appliance Repair,

I had thought of getting that particular expanding tool, too, as a backup to the two LG tools, in case the LG tools didn't work well for us. Since I hadn't replaced the LG boot before, I had no idea whether or not those springs had a little or a lot on tension on them, thus I purchased the LG tools for ease of the boot replacement.

Do you like that expansion tool and does it seem to work well? They reason I ask is now that my son-in-law's LG washer boot has been replaced, I've noticed that the boot on my Maytag Neptune washer is torn! Luckily the tear is near the top and the washer is not leaking. Watching a video on replacing the Neptune boot, I don't believe its retaining ring/spring setup is as awkward as the LG, but I guess I will find out in the next week or so.

twodotmike

#14 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

sh2sh2,

Now that the washer is closed up, I am trying to visualize the inner retaining ring/spring unit. I do remember seeing a loop in the retaining ring. I don't recall which end it was near, but, now, I'm guessing it is near the "hook" end of the retaining ring.

Using the bent pronged tool, are you saying that you place one prong of the tool in the loop and the other prong on the end of the spring and then, essentially, pull the spring over the hook?

If that is correct, then "haste does make waste" as we didn't think through the purpose of the loop, seeing as the outer retaining ring does not have a loop.

Thank you for your input.

twodotmike

yes that is correct

#15 twodotmike

twodotmike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:36 PM

sh2sh2,

THANK YOU for the confirmation of the inner spring removal sequence! Now, I feel very foolish for not recognizing the set up when I first looked at it.

Oh, well, I guess old age is finally catching up to me!  Next boot change, we'll be ready!

Thanks, again.

twodotmike

#16 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:01 PM

and one can never have too many tools!

My sentiments exactly.    Now if you can explain that to my Babes....says I have enough tools.

I see says the blind man, leading a lame dog, while talking to a deaf person. In other words, Not liable if you choose to follow my opinion.
IgonFishn

#17 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:36 AM

It wasn't easy on the LG that I used the expander rod tool on.   Should have used gloves when turning the thumb wheels tighter, by the time I was done I had torn skin off the fingers!  Man those springs are strong!

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#18 twodotmike

twodotmike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:40 AM

Budget Appliance Repair,

Thanks for the heads up on wearing gloves. Just looking at a picture of the tool, I thought maybe it was too long to maneuver easily and control.

When I do my Maytag Neptune MAH5500BWW, I'm going to see if the LG boot outer tool will work, but I have the feeling that the spread of the springs are too different in their sizes. The video I saw on the Maytag makes it look like a vise grip tool and a pair of needle nose pliers will work well, plus only one spring to work with.

twodotmike

#19 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

http://www.reliablep...nd-Tools-461459

I keep the LG tools and this on my truck. There is no door boot that I can't conquer with those.

#20 twodotmike

twodotmike

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:18 AM

applianceman97,

Thanks for your comment and the tool suggestion. Looking at the spreader tool, it appears to be fairly long. About how long is it? It's not too long to control easily? Obviously it would depend on the strength of the spring, but is the thumb wheel fairly easy to rotate?

twodotmike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics