Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Need tool for removing/installing front load washer tub seals

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 frunch

frunch

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:River Horse Hipp-O-Lantern Pumpkin Ale

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:53 PM

I've struggled with screwdrivers, pulling and prying to get these seals off/on, but now that I've started getting more involved with front load washers, I want to get the right tool for these jobs. I've seen some nice looking tools that will make the job quite a bit easier, and was hoping someone could weigh in with their recommendation for a spring clamp removal/installation tool for front load washer tub seals. Here's one I found while browsing the archives here at Appliantology:

http://www.reliablep...d-Tools-461459#

Has anyone tried this one? If so, is it worth the $? Not that $25 is much to spend, in fact it seems to be a good price.
Or is there another one that would be a better investment?

Thanks!
Trevor

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 BEdwards

BEdwards

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:56 PM

That one works pretty good for most WP and GE's I've been on, but had a Frigi the other day and there was no way to get it in the spring. Overall, I think it's worth the $25.

#3 frunch

frunch

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:15 AM

Thanks for the response, think I'm going to get one. Do you happen to know if it will work on LG washers too?

#4 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:03 AM

I have that exact one also, I've only used it once on an LG, (inside clamp that holds boot to tub), without it I would have never got that one back on, bent the tool a little and it didn't fit real well but it worked.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#5 frunch

frunch

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:34 AM

Good to know. Guess I'll probably get the LG tool as well, then...

#6 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

I went to a customers house to put the spring back on, and he had bought the tool. He let me try it out and it worked great. Worth the money I think.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#7 olyteddy

olyteddy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Earl Grey

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:03 PM

Those may help but the thing I find helps most is to reach for the Tide. A little laundry detergent lubes things up pretty good.

#8 B4UTRUST

B4UTRUST

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale

Posted 14 September 2014 - 11:22 PM

I've got that tool myself. On Elux/Frigidaire it doesn't seem to work that great, same for Samsung and Lg. The LG specific ones work great for LG of course. I try the tool first and if it doesn't seem to work, I muscle it on the old fashioned way. 

Owner/Operator Flagship Appliance Repair

#9 danoam

danoam

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:24 AM

After trying special tools and making a mess with luring up the seals with soap. I've fallen back on installing them dry with a pair of needle nose vise grips. It never takes me much more than a minute to get the clamps on.

#10 J5

J5

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:49 AM

only tool you need

ux_a07100800ux0050_ux_g03.jpg

#11 Maytag1

Maytag1

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Lite & Landshark

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:32 PM

I have one, it works but it's a little cumbersome, I'm looking into the LG specific plyers for 75$ or so. Worth it if they work. Sears tech friend has them and swears by them

#12 B4UTRUST

B4UTRUST

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Monty Python's Holy Grail Ale

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:20 PM

They work great for LG's but thats about it. Honestly, I don't do an LG without them. They're one of the best damned manufacturer specific tools I've used. If you do grab them though, there is one modification to do to the inner clamp pliers. Take out the tiny spring that's in the handle and just toss it. It'll give you an extra bit of squeezing room that I've found can be the difference between getting the loop over the hook and snarling in frustration. That and take a pair of needle nose and widen the loop on the clamp just a tiny bit to give you a little more room. You can squeeze it tighter if you want afterwards but honestly I've never had one where it affected it. But yes, the LG pliers are a must have for anyone working on LGs. I still gots mine and they aint gettin em back. Bastards. Still got my LG TV service remote too.. 

Edited by B4UTRUST, 24 September 2014 - 11:21 PM.

Owner/Operator Flagship Appliance Repair

#13 Maytag1

Maytag1

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Lite & Landshark

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:01 AM

Thanks for the spring tip:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics