Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo
- - - - -

Identifying and Troubleshooting Refrigerator Compressor TSD and PTC Start Devices

refrigerator compressor start device PTC TSD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,642 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:03 PM

Do you know your TSD from your PTC? They look the same on the outside, but are very different on the inside and fail in opposite ways.  I’m talking refrigerator compressor start devices in this video odyssey. Start watching, and less than 10 minutes later you’ll know these bad boys inside and out and be able to determine with confidence which one you’re dealing with in the field. BOOM.

This is just a tantalizing taste of the rich appliantological feast that awaits you at the Samurai Tech Academy. Whether you want to start a new career or are an existing tech who wants to up his game, the online, self-paced training at the Academy will help you get where you want to be. 

The Samurai Tech Academy
Learn More. Earn More.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:44 AM

Excellant video Samurai!

Muched need info, probably lots of techs out there that don't know this info.

The clamp on AMP meter is another good tool to know the difference between a failed PTC, (usually lower 7-9 amps tell it kicks the overload), and a failed TSD, (usually 12-15 amps until the overload trips).   Also another thing you will sometimes notice with a failed TSD is the freezer will be slightly cold, (not cold enough for even refrig temps), the continuous running of the compressor for those 10 second burst every couple of minutes does do a slight amount of cooling, but not much.  Unlike with a PTC start device failure the compressor never turns over so it pretty much gets to totally warm temps in both compartments.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#3 Radio Loco

Radio Loco

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Ginger Ale. On the rocks.

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

Thanks. Excellent video presentation and very informative.
I think this will work. I once saw it on a cartoon.

Or, on the other hand.....

Troubleshooting the appliance's complex electro-mechanical systems is the methodology in which one must, by using analyitical techniques and the process of elimination, determine the cause or causes of a specific failure. Rarely does this cause of a failure directly present itself for you to see.

So.....

To be better equipped to troubleshoot, you will need:

1.) To follow this: Safety first and foremost. Trust your instincts.
2.) Basic hand tools.
3.) A decent DVOM meter. Buy one. Borrow one. You need one.
4.) Last, but certainty not least, common sense. Most of us have it. Slow down and use it.

Now, let's have some fun!

ZIG:
Hope is the power that gives a person the confidence to step out and try.
Success is the maximum utilization of the ability you have.

N.M.:
It always seems impossible until it's done.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refrigerator, compressor, start device, PTC, TSD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics