Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Question on disassembling clock timer on a Frigidaire FGF379WECS

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dra2885

dra2885

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Any IPA

Posted 09 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

Hoping to get some expert advice. The LCD read-out on my range is quite dim, and I believe the issue is being caused by failing capacitors (they are only rated to 220F). I've got the clock timer unit out and I can see the capacitors, but I'm having trouble getting into the assembly itself to de-solder the old parts and solder in the new parts.

There are three tabs on the top and bottom, and I thought if I was able to push them all in the LCD faceplate would pop off, but no luck.

Any tips for disassembling this thing even further so I can get at the circuit board?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,865 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:09 AM

I would advise you to contact fixyourboard.com or corecentric. Others may provide you with information on component level repairs. On certain appliances, I would rather have the control board professionally repaired... but that's just me.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,904 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

I agree with Durham. I have used core centric many times and they do a great job.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#4 dra2885

dra2885

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

I'll reach out to them and see what they say. Just seems insane to spend $100+ on a fix that I can do myself for less than $5 if I could just figure out how to open the damn thing up!

#5 electro_doc

electro_doc

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:orange juice

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:31 PM

I'd say post some detailed close up pictures of the clock-timer and maybe we can help.  I'm not familiar with this particular one but have lots of experience with taking things apart.

Doc

#6 dra2885

dra2885

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:24 PM

I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to post an image directly to this forum, but hopefully these links work. Let me know if not.

https://www.dropbox....3l0/photo 1.JPG

https://www.dropbox....hbi/photo 2.JPG

https://www.dropbox....xdc/photo 3.JPG

You can see the six tabs I mentioned in the first photo. The third photo has a close up of one of the tabs. I thought I'd press those in and pop the front off but no dice.

#7 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,791 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:06 AM

That is probably one of the worst designs for a first timer to try and open up.  I just opened one like that for the first time a month or two ago, (it was the first and only one of that case style I have ever seen).

I don't really know how to explain this so I will try my best.

The center strips that wrap around the two boards and keep the boards alined by the tabs of the boards sticking through the slots is separate from the front of the case - you need to get each of those six tabs, (three on the top strip that wraps around to half of each side and three on bottom strip).

Use a putty knife to slip between the center strips and face plate to help pull the tap out while pressing with a screwdriver and to keep the front plate from snapping back as you go around to each tab.

Pay attention to the area at each short side ot the board where the upper and lower center strips meet - I think I remember there being a kind of hidden tab right in the center, (either snapping the two center strips together or kind of snapping to the lip of the front face plate).

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#8 dra2885

dra2885

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:37 PM

Awesome, thanks. I'll give this a try this weekend and report back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics