Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Duet Sport washer - WFW8400TW02 - Won't Spin

Wont spin

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 frunch

frunch

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:River Horse Hipp-O-Lantern Pumpkin Ale

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

I have a customer with a Whirlpool Duet front-load washing machine that I've repaired a couple times already, and I'm going again soon...anyway, I replaced the motor control board on it last time and that fixed it for a few months. Got a call recently that it was not spinning. Went over and checked all wiring connections to the CCU and MCU. Re-seated cables to CCU, no change. Re-seated cables to MCU--that got it working. In particular it was a 2-pin connector, I believe--2 blue wires. I pried the little tangs on the connector to make a firmer connection to the board and it worked fine until this weekend. I remember watching a video where the Samurai added a little solder to the pads where the connector slides onto. I wouldn't think something like that would be needed for a new board, but it seems like that's where the source of the problem is.

Does that sound like the right way to proceed here? Or might I need to replace the wiring harness? 

Thanks!

Trevor

Edit: Just to add a bit of info: The way this problem seems to manifest itself is that I put the machine into Drain/Spin mode, it runs the drain pump for a few minutes, the tub rotates back and forth slowly, then the countdown timer stays at however many minutes are left and eventually the machine shuts itself off. I'm going to stop over there tomorrow, so I'll have more exact info then.

Edited by frunch, 11 August 2014 - 03:27 PM.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

You're on the right track, Trevor.  I think you're dealing with a communications problem between the two boards.  The two-wire harness you worked on is the MS2 connector which supplies the MCU with 120VAC.  The MCU uses the 120VAC to do the heavy lifting of making the motor run according to the data signal it gets from the CCU on the MI3 connector.  You can see all this on the tech sheet.  I also do a walk-through on the schematics for these washers (the Alpha 2) in this video for motor no-run problems:

#3 frunch

frunch

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

That is an excellent video, Samurai! Thank you! I'm going to shoot over and check out the washer shortly, so I'll report back with my findings. 

I'm also going to make it a point to join the Boot Camp when things calm down a bit over here. It looks like a fantastic resource! 

#4 frunch

frunch

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:09 AM

Well, armed with the knowledge from the video our gracious Samurai posted above, I went back to the customers house to try to get to the bottom of their intermittently-working Duet washer. The info I had originally posted above was slightly off--it was a 3 pin connector (all blue wires) that seemed to be the source of the problem. I found that the conductor in the tiny connector housing had gotten bent out of alignment, which had been causing an intermittent data signal from the CCU. The wire in question was either the +5 or ground for the data signal, which would explain it's erratic behaviour. When run in the drain/spin cycle, it would start working-drain pump would turn on, tub would spin slowly...then it would just cut off. Nothing. Then the pump would start a minute later and shut off suddenly. It would sit for a couple more minutes doing nothing. Then it would start spinning again, slowly, and pump. Then stop. Eventually it got to 9 minutes and sat there until it just shut itself off-display went blank. One clue that made this job much easier to pinpoint was that it had stored an F-28 code--"Serial Communications Error". Either way, I carefully tried to push the connector in the housing back to it's original form and reconnected it. Success! It got through a full drain/spin cycle without a hitch. I told the customer if the problem returns, we'll have to order a new wiring harness. 

I learned a couple important things here: When dealing with a strange problem like this, it's absolutely imperative to keep good notes on any information one can gather surrounding the problem. I knew the connector was somehow related to the problem, but I forgot the F-28 code from the last time I checked it. It's also important to be very careful when dealing with these connectors-I'm not sure if the connector got screwed up when I replaced the MCU a few months ago.

Fortunately, our Samurai was able to provide me with info and guidance that was key to getting to the bottom of this issue! Many thanks, Samurai! I learned a lot on this one! 

Here's a pic of the connector in question:

Attached Files

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,636 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:23 AM

Great job, Trevor, and thanks for the detailed report!  Yeah, I hate those cheesy edge connectors.  Those tines in the plastic housing loosen up away too easy and cause all kinds of problems.   

#6 AQAppliances

AQAppliances

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:18 PM

Great video. I feel guilty watching that for free so I will be donating to the beer fund. Cheers.

#7 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:41 PM

Great job, Trevor, and thanks for the detailed report!  Yeah, I hate those cheesy edge connectors.  Those tines in the plastic housing loosen up away too easy and cause all kinds of problems.   

I seem to have that issue with the Bosch dishwashers with the connector for the rinse aid dispensor sensor, the connector keeps falling out.

Scott Wolf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics