Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Front-loading Frigidaire FWTR445RFS1 won't spin (after basement flood)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 steveklein

steveklein

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:48 PM

Our washer doesn't spin. It does go through the cycles, filling and draining. It just doesn't spin.

I'm not an appliance repairman, but I'll go out on a limb here and speculate that this symptom just might be related to the 5 or 6 inches of water we had in our basement yesterday.

(We got off easy; some folks got more than 6 feet of water in their basements. 24 hours later every major freeway in the Detroit area still has some sections closed due to flooding. Take a look at this photo, which shows water on I-75 so deep it almost reaches the I-696 overpass, which is probably 14 feet above.)

Any suggestions about what to check first?

I'm hoping it's something that's cheap and reasonable to fix.

I don't want to dump a lot of money into a 15-year-old washer, and I don't really have the money in my budget to buy a new one right now.

Steven Klein
Mac, PC & Network Expert

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 AQAppliances

AQAppliances

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

The motor speed control board is probably fried. At 15 years old you will probably be better off buying a new one.

#3 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

also motor bearings are probably gonna make noise even if you fix it and get it spinning

#4 steveklein

steveklein

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:42 PM

The motor speed control board is probably fried. At 15 years old you will probably be better off buying a new one.

Yup, I'm pretty sure you got that right.

I followed the Samurai's troubleshooting video for Troubleshooting A No-Drum Movement Problem In A Frigidaire Front-Load Washing Machine.

And just like the Samurai saw in that video, I got 120 V on the aqua wire when it was disconnected from what he calls the pressure switch. (The schematic calls this the water level switch, but I'm pretty sure it's the same thing.)

In that video, he says that means the speed control board is dead.

And the part is over $300.

So I'm shopping for a new washer. My wife said the new one has to have at least the same capacity as the old one. (We have four kids, ages 7-11, and we do a LOT of laundry.)

Any idea on how I can find out the capacity of this washer?

I have the original owner's manual, but it doesn't include any specifications. (And my Google-fu is failing me.)

Steven Klein
Mac, PC & Network Expert

#5 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 1,914 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:49 PM

Pretty much any front load washer will have that capacity or bigger. Usually bigger. You can buy the the LG Titan which is 5.1 cu ft. It's a monster. Most newer front loaders are over 4.0 cu ft.

I would also stay away from frigidaire products. Whirlpool also seems to be having problems with their front load "alpha" series washers. I would stick to LG or Samsung.

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics