Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag microwave MMV4205AAQ Loud noise, smells like burning when mag is on.

microwave Maytag Microwave smells burning burning electronics

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pjw73nh

pjw73nh

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:36 PM

Greetings,

I am doing some long distance trouble-shooting.  My son has a Maytag microwave MMV4205AAQ Sn 11247452GL.  Has worked fine up until tonight.  When the mag is turned on, it makes a loud (almost vibrating) noise, and after a few seconds smells like burning electronics.. When the mag is off, the unit sounds normal. IE turntable still turns, light and display are normal. 

Thoughts?

Thanks. 

P.../NH

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:06 PM

Does the unit still heat?  

Scott Wolf

#3 BEdwards

BEdwards

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

Just about every time I have had the strong burning smell or even a little smoke, it has always been the H.V. Capacitor burnt up. Can't 100% tell from the diagram, but you should be able to pull back the control panel and get eyes on the cap. Sometimes you can visually see them burnt around the top plastic area.

#4 pjw73nh

pjw73nh

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

Hi Folks,  thanks for the quick replies.  No, the unit does not still heat.  Trying to decide if it's worth fixing (I think this model is about 8-10 years old) or just getting a replacement.  Any thoughts on either?

Thanks.

P..../NH

#5 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:57 AM

I would replace it if it were mine.

Scott Wolf

#6 Chat_in_FL

Chat_in_FL

Havoc

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:What's on tap?

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

I would replace it if it were mine.

Agreed, repair cost approaching replacement cost...

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Mother Teresa

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect or represent the views and opinions held by my employer. All data and information provided is for informational purposes only.

Big Brother

#7 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:13 AM

The smell depending on what it smells like could be the mag tube but the loud vibration noise and smell could also just be a shorted high voltage diode.

I think it's crazy to not check and see if it's just a simple $10 or less diode if this person is doing the repairs themselves.

If having to call a repair company, that's a complete different story.

Myself, I can't every remember ever seeing a bad high-voltage capacitor in a microwave cause a burning smell or the loud vibration noises - almost always a shorted diode or mag tube.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#8 pjw73nh

pjw73nh

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:23 AM

Hello again and thank you for all of the input. Yes, I think I will drive out there at some point and disassemble it and see if it is the the diode (or what it actually is.  I suppose if he is resigned to getting a new one anyway, it's got to come off the wall anyway. Plus a good "postmortem" is almost always a learning experience.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

P.../NH 

#9 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:38 PM

I had a bad high voltage capacitor cause the burning smell and noise before.

Scott Wolf

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: microwave, Maytag Microwave, smells, burning, burning electronics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics