Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Cabrio inner basket removal tool

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Magenta#90

Magenta#90

Yamabushi

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:00 PM

Jays appliance is selling a tool for removal of the basket for $185 + SH   part# JTP2014B. I saw on youtube..........

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,870 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:34 AM

A good tool but jeeze louise, he could have at least included shipping and handling.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 15 August 2014 - 04:35 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 Magenta#90

Magenta#90

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

you right, should be 1/2 price, maybe Whirpool will make one in the future.

#4 LLAMBERT

LLAMBERT

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Stone Ruination IPA

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

a trick i have yet to try myself, after accessing the tub, pulling the hub, etc. put the unt into diagnostic mode and into spin and pull up in the basket, supposedly it will almost 'unscrew itself'

Why? I came into this game for the action, the excitement. Go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone. Now they got the whole country sectioned off, you can't make a move without a form

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,870 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 01:24 PM

you right, should be 1/2 price, maybe Whirpool will make one in the future.

It would be even better if they bought out Jay and paid him a cool million.

#6 sh2sh2

sh2sh2

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:yeunling

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

a trick i have yet to try myself, after accessing the tub, pulling the hub, etc. put the unt into diagnostic mode and into spin and pull up in the basket, supposedly it will almost 'unscrew itself'

i do this but instead of spin i put it in agitate works the basket right off the shaft, you can also fill the tub with water to get some upward lift if it is a really stubborn basket.

#7 Maytag1

Maytag1

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Lite & Landshark

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:44 PM

The tool actually works great. There are many techs around the country using it. It is constructed from billet steel. Steel alone to make tool is over $30.00. Over 1 hr in cnc machine to machine it and then it is powder coated. Its also made in the USA in Portsmouth, VA. not China. Its heavy, you wont wear it out. Its a one time purchase and saves your back:)

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 30,712 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:55 PM

I just wanna say that, after putting my hands on one of these bad boys, this is a quality tool!  I had the pleasure of meeting Maytag1 at the recent RSTI in Raleigh this past week seeing his tub removal tool up close and personal.  While I've not had the opportunity to show the tool in live action, I do have a brief intro video for you on the tool itself:

Nice work, Jay!  

#9 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,870 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:22 PM

My business partner received one last week. I will relay our experiences with it once in use.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 20 September 2014 - 09:25 PM.

#10 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

"Hollywood"

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,597 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:34 AM

Looks awesome!!! Way better than my rust buster, 2x4 and a hammer trick. Have to pick me up one of those in the near future.
Just-in TIme Logo.jpg

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#11 Maytag1

Maytag1

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:56 PM

So, I'm curious, how many of you techs out there are using this tool or have tried it? Other question is how many of you techs actually replace the shaft and bearings on Cabrio washers(great money job)?

#12 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:29 AM

I see very few & about half of my clients opt for a new machine after quoting the book price.    Those that I have replaced I use PB blaster which is an excellent solvent It has not been that time consuming getting the tub off (for me anyway).

In purchasing a new tool I have criterion that must be passed.  

•  Am I going to make money or break even on the job I initially going to use it on.  
  •  Do I see in the future a lot of jobs needing that tool whereas I can make a profit. Example is the tool for the Maytag Neptune bearing replacement tool.  When is the last time you replaced one of those bearings.
  •  Is it going to pass my wife's scrutiny for need of this tool.  She is co owner

Sorry Jay I can not justify the expense of a tool used for only one brand of machine that I see as not in production any more.   I am saving that $200 for purchasing an 'ALL Dolly' which I would use more often in my business.   Best of luck in sales to others that see more Cabrio direct drives.  It looks like a high quality tool, but not for me at this point in time.

Former Student of Master Samurai Tech School.   Current Student of  Master Samurai Tech School 

http://www.mastersam...iliate.php?id=5

#13 Maytag1

Maytag1

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:55 AM

Patricio, I couldn't agree with you more about the way you decide to buy specialty tools, with the exception that if my Wife knew how much $ I have in specialty tools, she would have 10 COWS!  I agree that if you dont yet have an All Dolly, that would be more useful with Thanks Giving coming up and many ovens to work on. I am not saying that this tool is for all. It is expensive and has only one purpose-to pull Cabrio, Oasis and Bravos inner baskets. Also I am well aware that they can be removed by other means. I have never had one that I couldn't remove before designing this tool, but many have taken much time and left me with a sore back. If you are a tech who rarely has to deal with stuck Cabrio tubs for removing clothes from between tubs or doing a bearing replacement then it would certainly not be worth the money. However, if you are a tech in an area where this is a common job to do , it is money well spent to know that in less than 5 min with very little effort(sore back work) the tub is out. Piece of mind knowing when you pull up on a Cabrio that you as one man or woman can do any job on this machine by yourself is worth the money. With normal service rates in our area it only has to be used less than 2 times to pay for itself and from that point on it is making you money. Again, not for every one, but if you do a lot of work on these machines as we do, it is nice to have on your truck. By the way All Dolly is an awesome tool! you will thank yourself for spending the $ after you use it the first time.

#14 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:17 AM

You bet if I start to see a couple bearing replacements  a month I would be 1st in line (after convincing my wife I need to save my back for her  :wink: ) :thumbsup:   for the tool.  I am a believer in tools for the job.

Former Student of Master Samurai Tech School.   Current Student of  Master Samurai Tech School 

http://www.mastersam...iliate.php?id=5

#15 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

"Hollywood"

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,597 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:52 PM

I think the tool is really awesome. I just don't do enough of those bearing jobs to justify the buying it. Cool tool though.
Just-in TIme Logo.jpg

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#16 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Senior Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:03 AM

Same here, I've only done one bearing job on one of these that I had to buy the bearing installer tool for - basket came out without any kind of problems.  On the only two others of this style machine that comes to mind that I have even worked on, one a control board replacement and the other to remove clothes from other basket and no problems with that basket coming out either.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#17 Maytag1

Maytag1

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:42 AM

Tub removal seems to be an issue in certain localities. On our area (Virginia Beach) I'd say 40% come right out 60% put up a fight

#18 Maytag1

Maytag1

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:49 PM

Well, for all of you wooses out there who are too scared to do a bearing job on a Cabrio  Washer, I just wanted to let you know that I had a female customer today who managed to remove her inner basket, shaft , motor and bearings (with the exception of the outer bearing race for the upper bearing) . If the upper bearing had not grenaded, she would have done a complete bearing replacement job on her Cabrio HER self.. She had done everything correct, the upper bearing just fell apart when she removed the shaft(rare) but she wasn't afraid to tackle this job. Impressive! I had to use a Dremmle with a cut off wheel to remove outer race of upper bearing, which was no walk in the park, but this just proves that if a house wife can do it than why are you techs scared to do such a lucrative job??

#19 PAppliance

PAppliance

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dr. Pepper

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:36 AM

I ran into that problem before, the bearing separating inside the tub and leaving the outer race still pressed into the tub so there' s nothing for a bearing remover to grab onto.  I tried using a dremel cut off wheel to remove the outer race, and it actually started to melt the plastic of the tub and I was afraid to continue in fear of creating a leak between the tub and bearing.  This was about a year ago I ran into this, and it was a machine I was fixing to re-sell, I think I ended up trying to hammer it out with a hammer/chisel from the inside and missed a swing and put a hammer hole in the tub if I remember correctly ...  Long story short, how'd you get that pressed in outer race out?

#20 Maytag1

Maytag1

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:11 PM

Cut 3 slits in it with cut off wheel and hammer and destroyed my Snapon flat blade screw driver, but had success

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics