Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Cabrio inner basket removal tool

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Maytag1

Maytag1

Kohai

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Lite & Landshark

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:17 AM

Yep. I was thinking that if I could have it double as a charging cylinder Bryan would buy one. Sales haven't been a problem. I was just curious why guys that work on these routinely would continually do it the hard way instead of using a specialized tool? My wife informed me that it's because us MEN have ego problems:) I'm not going to do it the easy way, I'm a MAN, I'll do it the brute force manly hurt my back way:)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#42 Applianceman97

Applianceman97

"Hollywood"

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,595 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:19 AM

Hahaha. Well maytag, I don't have one simply because I don't do too many of those bearing jobs. My customer don't want to spend the money for it. Rarely do I have to pull a tub. When the day comes that I'm fixing many more of these. I will gladly buy one! It's a great looking tool!!!
Just-in TIme Logo.jpg

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#43 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,868 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:27 AM

Sales haven't been a problem.

What?? Are you an honest to goodness red blooded American? Do you believe in capitalism? If the answer is yes, then sales are always a problem... you can never have enough sales... never... ever....sell, sell, sell! "Turn them machines back on!"

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 08 February 2015 - 09:31 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#44 Samtech

Samtech

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:MGD

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:50 AM

Durham is Right... COFFEE IS ONLY FOR CLOSERS!

A= ALWAYS

B= BE

C= CLOSING

GET THEM TO SIGN ON THE WHICH IS DOTED.

You Break, I Fix

#45 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:I don't drink

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:15 AM

Haha. Then your wife hasn't met me. I was taught under the work smarter not harder principle when I was in military. The rest of the guys I work with would rather struggle and do things the hard way then buy a tool to make life easier on themselves. While most men spend money on hobbies(cars, sports, music, etc), I spend mine on tools for work :) The day I will need this thing, I will be mad I don't have one. Unfortunately, that is the way things are for me until I see a need for it, I don't buy it. The problem is I have to many tools now I barely use. I'm about $15,000 deep in hvac tools that don't get used a whole a lot. Quite a few I use on appliances, but some only get used when I do hvac on my own time which is rare. Like my $2000+ combustion anazlyzer kit for gas and oil. Granted most of those were bought when I was in hvac school with gi bill and unemployment money. Money doesn't come that easy and fast anymore, so I've had to slow down with my tool buying hobby lol. They pick on me at work about all my tools, but they sure have made things easier for everyone on occasion.

Edited by BryanS, 08 February 2015 - 11:17 AM.

#46 Maytag1

Maytag1

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:37 AM

I'm of the same school of thought as you Bryan S. Hence my bewilderment at these guys who would rather kill themselves. Every time I have to use my tub puller I laugh to myself at the guys who chose to do it the hard way. Well, their choice, but I'll take the easy route whenever possible:)
What's that saying? You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

#47 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,868 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:56 AM

Bro Maytag, instead of laughing at them, spend that time understanding their dilemma. You've already shown propensity to do that. Here's an example, northerners who visit or move down here, always laugh at us when we close schools down because of a little snow. It's true that we don't have the sophisticated machinery to keep the roads clear when compared to the north.

However its not that we are dumb nor that we don't understand the usefulness of that machinery, it's just that it only snows once or twice a year here. A snow plow salesman trying to sell plows to the cities down here wouldn't have much success. However during the next snow storm he would say the same thing you said.. ie... you can lead a horse to... etc. Thus his problem in certain areas is that he has to convince his buyers they have a reasonable need before he can get them to buy his machines.... that's one of the hardest things to do in sales.

In essence, you first have to find those techs that need the device and that need has to be reasonable .... then those are the ones you can laugh at for not having it.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 08 February 2015 - 12:03 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#48 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 12:03 PM

This scenario reminds me of the time I went to help my dad pull a flywheel off of a john deere mower engine. He was using 2 prybars and had me smacking on a bolt head with a ball peen hammer to break it free. I said you know a gear puller would work much better right about now. He said we do it this way at work all the time. I said but why don't you just buy some gear pullers and it will come right off. He said well sometimes you work with what you have. That's the brute force method your wife was speaking of haha

Edited by BryanS, 08 February 2015 - 12:06 PM.

#49 Maytag1

Maytag1

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 03:10 PM

Well, I guess it's the same as the majority of these guys not making use of wire schematics and diagrams. Why pull the evaporator panel to check the defrost system if you can check right from the control. If the control is what's bad, I'm not unloading the entire freezer. Guess it's just different ways of looking at it. My way just happens to make me more money in less time while charging the customer the same price.
Durham, I am referring to those who regularly work on these Cabrios. Not the once a year company.
So that would be the person owning a 4x4 F350 in New England who clears driveways for a living saying why buy a plow when I already on a shovel

#50 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:33 PM

You know I was a naysayer at first because I see very few of these machines.  I knew the trouble it is to pull a tub. I have a few bearing jobs under my belt.   It changed drastically when I got 2 calls in the same day for the cabrio SD  & LD code.    Started fighting the 1st machine with the SD code  and 30 minutes in to it I realized it was  fight That I  needed more muscle, grit, & time than I was willing to spend at the moment.

Talked to some of my brothers on Voxer & while conversing I talked myself into calling Jay.    Glad I did, he answered my call immediately & was shipping me the tool the next morning which was Saturday whereas I received it the following Tuesday priority mail.   Paid $165 total.  My first use of  the JT was to finish pulling the tub at a original quote of $220 to replace just the hub. The job covered the tool & hub expense leaving me a gross profit of less than $50.  Ok 

The 2nd tub pull was pure gross profit of $220 at little over a hours time.  $$$$$ in my eyes, I am advertising for Cabrio's now.   My back does not ache, no beating or straining on the tub which looks bad in clients eyes for sure, & I act the professional that I am.   The tool rates up there with my ice maker tester, fluke meters, McColloch steamer,  etc. for getting the job done professionally with the least hassle.  It also rates up there with the Samurai Tech Academy courses I have taken (a honest opinion plug for Scott)

I bet Jay is already trying to fabricate adapters to fit this tool so as to make it more versatile.    To end this post the reason for the SD code was 2 parts, a worn hub & a bra wire between the basket & tub.  The 2nd Cabrio with the LD code was the use of to much detergent, the sump coin catcher was gunked up with so much soap debri I had to scrap it with my putty knife which took longer than pulling the basket.   Money well spent in the quest to be the best in my parts.    The Jay tool exceeds all claims made for it plus Jay has dropped the price to get into your truck.    Patricio

Former Student of Master Samurai Tech School.   Current Student of  Master Samurai Tech School 

http://www.mastersam...iliate.php?id=5

#51 BryanS

BryanS

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:09 PM

Lol. It's funny reading Patricio's earlier posts about the tool and how he sings it's praises now. I'd love to have one and seeing as how it has helped others is great. I want one before I need it, but it is what it is. If only uncle Sam gave me more money back on taxes and the VA didn't just send me a $230 bill (which was mostly for vitamins- I won't allow that again ). All Dolly is what I just bought to save myself on these stupid helper jobs I keep running.

#52 Patricio

Patricio

Opa

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Home brewed ice tea

Posted 08 February 2015 - 11:32 PM

All dolly is next on planned agenda maybe another 2 months. Have not had the need yet like I did couple weeks ago for the Jay tool. By the way I am needing an air sled in a couple of weeks. Guess what was just delivered to the house.

Former Student of Master Samurai Tech School.   Current Student of  Master Samurai Tech School 

http://www.mastersam...iliate.php?id=5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics