Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Ge fridge no cool model GFSS6KIXBSS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 handybutnotsure

handybutnotsure

Ikkō-ikki

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:41 AM

I HAVE A FRENCH DOOR BOTTOM FREEZER FRIDGE MODEL GFSS6IXBSS . RECENTLY HAD A POWER OUTAGE AND NOW ONLY THE 

COMPRESSOR KICKS ON WHEN I PLUG THE UNIT IN. THE LOW VOLTAGE DC CONDENSER,EVAPORATOR,AND FRESH FOOD FAN MOTORS DO NOT COME ON. I REPLACED THE PCB CONTROL BUT EXPERIENCING THE SAME PROBLEM.  I ALSO REPLACED CONDENSER FAN MOTOR BUT 

THAT DID NOT HELP. WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE SOME INPUT. THANKS

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,431 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:07 AM

This is a Samsung made GE:

Power outage probably affected the power board instead of the main board. The power board converts Ac to DC and the DC voltage is sent to the mainboard. Your mainboard is probably not receiving DC voltage.

Your compressor receives its AC hot line directly from house current and receives a switched neutral from the board. The board has the neutral but it is currently not being switched and simply supplying raw neutral to the, compressor thus your compressor runs.

Test voltage to your power board. You should receive 120vac at cn1. If not, you have a wiring problem.

If 120vac found, as I suspect, test for 5vdc and 12vdc at CN2 on the power board. You should get 5vdc between the red and black wires and 12vdc between the yellow and black wires. If you don't have both voltages (which I also suspect) , replace power board and voila, Bob's your uncle.

If you do have proper voltages, then check to see if it is being sent to the mainboard at CN10...same as above, check the red to black for 5vac and yellow to black for 12vac. If you don't have it but have those voltages at the power board, then you have a bad connector between the boards.

Many parts houses erroneously call the board an Icemaker circuit board,  so don't be alarmed it you see that when you click on the link. It's actually a rectifier  (converts AC to DC voltages) and  powers the mainboard. Maybe when the  manufacturer said "rectifier"  the dummy on the other end heard "icemaker"  and subsequent dummies copied the description. 

Part number: AP4327500

Part number: AP4327500

ps: I strongly encourage you to use a surge protector with a rating of at least 1000 joules on your fridge. 

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 15 August 2014 - 05:48 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 handybutnotsure

handybutnotsure

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE. I DO HAVE VOLTAGES PRESENT AT BOTH POWER BOARD AND CONNECTOR CN10 AT PBC BOARD. IS IT POSSIBLE THAT NEWLY INSTALLED PBC BOARD MAY BE DEFECTIVE. I DONT HAVE DC VOLTAGES PRESENT AT CN75 TERMINAL. WHAT ELSE WOULD CAUSE THESE FANS NOT TO POWER ON.

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,431 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:07 AM

this is an odd on indeed. So let me understand you better

1) your compressor is running
2)None of your fans work
3) you have changed the mainboard
4) you have changed the condenser fan motor
5) you are getting both 12vdc and 5vdc to the mainboard from the powerboard
6) you are not getting dc voltages at cn 75

Is your display responsive? Are any codes displayed (codes are displayed by showing led segments where full numbers should be)? Can you enter diagnostic mode?

It does sounds like a bad board. Either the new one was doa or something is taking out your boards. Check for burn spots on your boards. I have had one where a power outage took out the icemaker, user interface and then the icemaker took out the mainboard. There is a bulletin where you are to replace icemaker and mainboard together. Not sure if it applies in your case.

Is there anything else? it is important to tell us the complete state of the fridge such as the doors/icemaker have been removed or anything you think may not affect the system but may actually have an impact.

#5 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,431 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:34 PM

After checking, this GE uses the same boards etc as the samsung i repaired (model rf267aawp) where a power outage took out the board. After replacing the board, which had an obvious burn spot. I wound up replacing the icemaker and user interface. I think the user interface caused the burn on my customer's board. It resulted in the board causing an issue on the icemaker circuit or it could have been the other way around. It's certain that something is causing an issue with your fan circuits.

Although Samsungs have built in circuitry to prevent fan motors from trashing a board, try temporarily disconnecting cn75 and see what happens. Hopefully, your new board hasn't been damaged yet.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 16 August 2014 - 04:12 PM.

#6 handybutnotsure

handybutnotsure

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

I DECIDED TO CALL AND WAIT FOR GE TO COME OUT. THEY DIAGNOSED THE PROBLEM AS A SHORTED WIRE WITHIN THE FRIDGE ITSELF. I GUESS THE POWER OUTAGE TOOK ONE OF THE LOW VOLTAGE WIRES. HE MENTIONED THERE WAS NOTHING THEY COULD DO TO REPAIR THE UNIT. TIME TO PURCHASE NEW UNIT,THOUGH IT WONT BE A GE. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

#7 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 5,431 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

I DECIDED TO CALL AND WAIT FOR GE TO COME OUT. THEY DIAGNOSED THE PROBLEM AS A SHORTED WIRE WITHIN THE FRIDGE ITSELF. I GUESS THE POWER OUTAGE TOOK ONE OF THE LOW VOLTAGE WIRES. HE MENTIONED THERE WAS NOTHING THEY COULD DO TO REPAIR THE UNIT. TIME TO PURCHASE NEW UNIT,THOUGH IT WONT BE A GE. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

My bet is they have no idea what they are talking about. They may know GEs but I can almost guarantee they know nothing about Samsung made GE's.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 21 August 2014 - 08:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics