Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool stacked washer/dryer LTE5243DQ8. Heating element won't shut down with door open

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Surfersabo

Surfersabo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Brown ale

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

Hi all, and thanks in advance for your help.

I have a whirlpool stacked washer/dryer that had a blown thermal fuse. After changing the thermal fuse, the dryer ran normal EXCEPT...

If the door is opened while the dryer is running, the heating element does not turn off (everything else does). Element functions normally during the cycle and will shut itself off at the end of the cycle, but the door switch isn't communicating to the element apparently. I assume this is how the thermal fuse blew in the first place.

Thoughts?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Gnominator77

Gnominator77

Yamabushi

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Molson Canadian

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:17 PM

Did you check if the heating element is shorting to ground?

Part number: ap3094256

Part number: ap3094256

Edited by Samurai Appliance Repair Man, 16 August 2014 - 08:46 AM.

#3 Surfersabo

Surfersabo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

I didn't think of that. Since the element works properly when the door is closed, I assumed it had to be something to do with the door switch circuit. How would I check to see if the element was shorting to ground?

#4 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,875 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

You will see the actual element touching the heater element bracket.  Another way to tell is to set your meter on the continuity scale, touch one lead to one wire of the element, and the other lead to the bracket and you will get continuity. You are supposed to get an open circuit.

Scott Wolf

#5 Surfersabo

Surfersabo

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:21 PM

Oh ya. Gotcha. I'll try that. If that were the case though, it seems to me that the element would run wide open at all times. It glows faintly when the dryer is running normally (door closed) but as soon as the door is opened, the element glows twice as brightly. Quite the fire hazard since the blower switches itself off. Thanks for the advice! I'll let u know what I find out. It's a rental so I have to drive over there and check it out tomorrow.

#6 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:32 PM

I would check the AC cord hook up. With 3 wire and 4 wire installs, I find many errors.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#7 fairbank56

fairbank56

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

The only way the heater coil can be powered with door open (motor off) is if the motor heat circuit switch is stuck closed, the wire between the heater coil terminal and motor connector is shorted to ground or the heat coil is touching ground.

Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics