Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Help Selecting A New VOM For Appliance Repair?

36 replies to this topic

#21 Squeaky Clean

Squeaky Clean

Ikkō-ikki

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Benchmark Bourbon (Old Number 8) on the rocks & glass of coke on the side

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:26 PM

No, not that one. K type is the connector standard for most meters. Plus the bead end. Something along the lines of this:

http://www.amazon.co...igh temperature

The IR thermometer looks good, but check your local Sears or online. I got mine, the mini one, for $30 on sale.

Did you watch the Samurai's video on his tool back back? Check it out. That will give you a good idea of what to have.

Ok,  Thanks!  Are those input plugs pretty standard......... Do you think that would fit my meter or will I have to change it out?    

“I’m on a path of enlightenment and would like to become an appliance repair technician. I’m looking for any and all suggestions from those who have made this journey.”

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#22 beam current

beam current

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:The Mrs.' homemade limeade. Served over crushed ice. Summertime classic.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

Yes it will fit you Extech meter. K type is the industry standard for this type of thermocouple.
I think this will work. I once saw it on a cartoon.

Or, on the other hand.....

Troubleshooting the appliance's complex electro-mechanical systems is the methodology in which one must, by using analyitical techniques and the process of elimination, determine the cause or causes of a specific failure. Rarely does this cause of a failure directly present itself for you to see.

So.....

To be better equipped to troubleshoot, you will need:

1.) To follow this: Safety first and foremost. Trust your instincts.
2.) Basic hand tools.
3.) A decent DVOM meter. Buy one. Borrow one. You need one.
4.) Last, but certainty not least, common sense. Most of us have it. Slow down and use it.

Now, let's have some fun!

ZIG:
Hope is the power that gives a person the confidence to step out and try.
Success is the maximum utilization of the ability you have.

N.M.:
It always seems impossible until it's done.

#23 beam current

beam current

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:The Mrs.' homemade limeade. Served over crushed ice. Summertime classic.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

I was editing my post at the same time you were posting. Please go back and read the threads from page one.

Troubleshooting the appliance's complex electro-mechanical systems is the methodology in which one must, by using analyitical techniques and the process of elimination, determine the cause or causes of a specific failure. Rarely does this cause of a failure directly present itself for you to see.

So.....

2.) Basic hand tools.
4.) Last, but certainty not least, common sense. Most of us have it. Slow down and use it.

ZIG:

N.M.:

#24 Squeaky Clean

Squeaky Clean

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Benchmark Bourbon (Old Number 8) on the rocks & glass of coke on the side

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:42 AM

Beam,

Thank you so much for this information, I will get one ordered. Is the sensor that comes with the meter (looks like a wire), just not accurate enough to make proper measurements?

Attached File  71GKv3E6aOL__SL1500_ (Small).jpg   49.1KB   0 downloads

I'm also thinking about getting one of these :  http://www.amazon.co...c hanging strap

Edited by Squeaky Clean, 23 August 2014 - 07:58 AM.

“I’m on a path of enlightenment and would like to become an appliance repair technician. I’m looking for any and all suggestions from those who have made this journey.”

#25 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,738 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

Do you have confirmation that a magnetic strap is not included in your kit and that the Klein strap works for your meter?? If no to both, Why not get the strap made for your meter? http://www.coleparme...ers/EW-95001-97 Amazon also has it but there must be some pricing mistake since they are charging $309 for a $9 strap http://www.amazon.co...ds=hg500 extech

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 23 August 2014 - 10:02 AM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#26 Squeaky Clean

Squeaky Clean

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

Thanks Durham!  I was looking for a brand specific magnetic strap for my meter but it never came up in my searches.  Thank you for your help, its much appreciated.

#27 beam current

beam current

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

Dang, $309 ?!?!? DA's right, the mag hanger has to be compatible with your specific meter.

The K probe that comes with your meter is fine. You'll be using that for refrigerator calls. It's not made for high temp applications. That's why I suggested buying a high temp probe for oven calls.

You will attach this into the meter lead plugs using the white adapter. I do not see a separate K type connection. Also make sure you calibrate the probe using an ice water slurry mix to 32 degrees F, if your meter supports this. It should.

That does look like a pretty good starter set, but it probably will have some limitations compared to the higher cost meters. It will work just fine for you though.

So.....

2.) Basic hand tools.

ZIG:

N.M.:

#28 Squeaky Clean

Squeaky Clean

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:22 PM

Dang, $309 ?!?!? DA's right, the mag hanger has to be compatible with your specific meter.

The K probe that comes with your meter is fine. You'll be using that for refrigerator calls. It's not made for high temp applications. That's why I suggested buying a high temp probe for oven calls.

You will attach this into the meter lead plugs using the white adapter. I do not see a separate K type connection. Also make sure you calibrate the probe using an ice water slurry mix to 32 degrees F, if your meter supports this. It should.

That does look like a pretty good starter set, but it probably will have some limitations compared to the higher cost meters. It will work just fine for you though.

Thank you both, now I u

#29 Samtech

Samtech

Samanera

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:MGD

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

I just ordered the fluke 116/323 combo and the supco 501 megger kit, yesterday I ordered the membrane tester.

Could someone make a video using the icemaker diagnostic thingy ? I want to see the pretty lights.   http://www.apdepot.c...rd&keyword=imt1

#30 Squeaky Clean

Squeaky Clean

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

Is a "megger kit" crucial for diagnosing an issue with compressor windings or can this be accomplished with a good quality VOM?

#31 beam current

beam current

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

I just ordered the fluke 116/323 combo and the supco 501 megger kit, yesterday I ordered the membrane tester.

Could someone make a video using the icemaker diagnostic thingy ? I want to see the pretty lights.   http://www.apdepot.c...rd&keyword=imt1

I think Samurai made one. Maybe it was the dryer vent tester. Try an "IMT1" search here and Youtube. It's easy. Just install on the IM module and follow the directions.

Pizzazz sells.

So.....

2.) Basic hand tools.

ZIG:

N.M.:

#32 beam current

beam current

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:34 PM

Is a "megger kit" crucial for diagnosing an issue with compressor windings or can this be accomplished with a good quality VOM?

Yes the megger is the best way to check for compressor winding insulation breakdown ie., an inefficient compressor or nuisance trips.

However, a meter will show a winding when you have a "hard" short to ground.

I think I know what your next question is Squeaky ;). I recommend the Fieldpiece megger. Small and compact. And mine has worked nicely for years. But again, do your homework.

So.....

2.) Basic hand tools.

ZIG:

N.M.:

#33 J5

J5

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:55 AM

no its crucial for many other things though

great for defrost elements , they measure ok but have a leak to earth when using the megger

also when appliances are tripping the circuit

and of course electrical safety

#34 Squeaky Clean

Squeaky Clean

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

I'm a little peeoed at Amazon. When I ordered my meter combo that said it would be delivered no later the 28th and then I got my shipping confirmation 4 days later and its the 30th..........just checked the Fedex Post website and it states a 9/03 delivery!! This was an Amazon fulfillment order  (not a vendor filled order) :rolleyes:

Edited by Squeaky Clean, 27 August 2014 - 05:51 PM.

#35 Samtech

Samtech

Samanera

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:25 PM

Sorry Dude, I'm sure it'll get there soon. For Me, It was like christmas today. I received the fluke 116/323 kit,  the supco megger and the membrane tester.  :rocker:

#36 Squeaky Clean

Squeaky Clean

Ikkō-ikki

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

Samtech,

Sounds like you got all of your equipment from one source........so where did you shop,  What kind of deal did you get?  :woot:

#37 Samtech

Samtech

Samanera

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 02:03 PM

I get 2 day free shipping from Amazon Prime. And their prices were better than anywhere local. The k type sensor with the clamp should be here today 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics