Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kitchenaid Ice Machine # 2185803A: Model # ?

Kitchenaid ice machine model number location

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 FlyboyTR

FlyboyTR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:47 AM

Hello,

I recently purchased a used Kitchenaid 18" undercounter/free-standing ice machine.  I have been unable to find an actual nomenclature plate with anything that looks like a model number.  This unit has the pull down door with three control buttons, Off, On and Clean.  On the inside of the door is a label with cleaning in instructions.  On the bottom left corner are the numbers 2185803A.  The bottom right corner is 02/05.  Can anyone provide any guidance as to what my model number may be?

After running for two hours, there was only a single handful of thin ice with a very thin slab sitting on the cutting grids...which was just melting, not cutting.  I removed the grid plate and found the wiring terminals were corroded  and one was broken.  There was continuity across both grid wires.  I built a new wiring harness and spliced it into the existing cable (using the existing plug).  It is now cutting the ice.  However, it seems very slow to make ice...since I'm new to this type of machine, I really don't know what the actual start-up time would be for a hot/dry machine, to a bin full of ice.  The freezing plate looks clean with no noticeable build-up of any type; at this point I have not ran any type of cleaning solution through it.

I have been reading the many links associated with a generic search on this site...lots of good info.  I am really glad I found this site.  Thanks!  Any help, guidance and suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,977 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bells Two Hearted

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

I must commend you for at least attempting to put some semblance of a model number in the title. That prevented the post from being summarily deleted.

Can you provide pictures of the machine, especially the controls. Someone may be able to identify the machine based on the info you already provided but pictures may allow for more techs to recognize the machine and respond. Thanks!

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 17 August 2014 - 12:59 PM.

Durham Appliance Thrift & Repair, LLC

www.DurhamApplianceThrift.com

#3 FlyboyTR

FlyboyTR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:06 PM

Thanks for the gracious reply.  The pictures are below.  Since repairing the cutting grid, the machine has been on for just over 24 hours.  The bin is only about 1/2 filled.  Included is a picture of the ice.  Most of the cubes are only about 1/4" thick...some are just a little under 3/8".  During the freezing cycle, I removed the ice scoop and tray.  By inserting my hand through that opening I could feel the freezing tray and the ice felt very wavy.  There is also water dripping from everywhere (I don't know if that is normal or not).

Thanks again...everyone's help is greatly appreciated!

KitchenaidIceMachine3.jpg?t=1408305368

KitchenaidIceMachine6.jpg

KitchenaidIceMachine5.jpg

#4 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:01 PM

I think I know this machine but as a GE Model....four words that instantly come to mind "water reservoir drain cap."

#5 FlyboyTR

FlyboyTR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:24 PM

Thanks.  I will check the drain cap in the morning.

#6 DurhamAppliance

DurhamAppliance

Sho' Nuff Chozin

• Grand Master Funk
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:30 PM

the cap looks like a small plastic water bottle cap but it costs about $25. If leaking, I have been successful using plumber's tape on the threads.

Edited by DurhamAppliance, 17 August 2014 - 05:31 PM.

#7 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:36 PM

Does this unit have an add on drain pump or a gravity drain?

It looks like it is producing plenty of ice like it should be.

You have to remember, this is just an icemaker, the bin is there just to store the ice for a very short time, it is NOT a freezer.  The melted ice has to drain somewhere, if the melted ice (water) is kept in the bin for too long, it will hinder the machine form making more ice. The unit has to be drained properly.

If you bought it used, chances are the previous owner might have removed the model and serial number sticker. On these models the sticker should be inside the ice maker bin either on the left or right side or  on the ceiling.

Edited by Scottthewolf, 17 August 2014 - 10:39 PM.

Scott Wolf

#8 FlyboyTR

FlyboyTR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:50 AM

Does this unit have an add on drain pump or a gravity drain?

It looks like it is producing plenty of ice like it should be.

You have to remember, this is just an icemaker, the bin is there just to store the ice for a very short time, it is NOT a freezer.  The melted ice has to drain somewhere, if the melted ice (water) is kept in the bin for too long, it will hinder the machine form making more ice. The unit has to be drained properly.

If you bought it used, chances are the previous owner might have removed the model and serial number sticker. On these models the sticker should be inside the ice maker bin either on the left or right side or  on the ceiling.

It has a gravity drain and is draining to a floor drain; so no water is backing up inside the bin.  I checked it this morning.  It is now been running for almost 40 hours and is still only about 1/2 full.  That is a long ways from the 100 lbs a day I am seeing listed for an 18" machine.  There is no sticker anywhere inside the machine.

My neighbor has a very old 14" Kenmore unit that he keeps on his boat dock.  They look almost identical inside (as far as the business end of things).  His produces an enormous amount of ice in a short period of time; mine is probably producing about 30% of what his does.

#9 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:03 AM

Is the condenser fan running and the condenser clean?

#10 JJ Surfer

JJ Surfer

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sierra Nevada pale ale

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:07 AM

Can you get a picture of the ice slab as it is about to slide onto the grid? If the ice slab does not completely slide onto the grid it can create some of these problems.

#11 FlyboyTR

FlyboyTR

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:12 AM

Can you get a picture of the ice slab as it is about to slide onto the grid? If the ice slab does not completely slide onto the grid it can create some of these problems.

JJ,  The ice is sliding completely onto the grid.  No pictures, but I have noted the slab is always sitting completely forward.  Yes, the condenser is clean...but honestly...I haven't put an eyeball on the fan.  I will tray to do that today.  In regards to water splash.  The water seems to come out of the delivery tube pretty fast...almost like spraying.  Could the little holes be partly occluded and causing a less than smooth water delivery?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kitchenaid, ice machine, model number location

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics