Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Squeaky Clean

Warm Maytag Fridge PSD2450GRW

11 posts in this topic

Warm Maytag Fridge PSD2450GRW

I woke up to a warm fridge today. Fridge 55 degrees F, Freezer 0 degrees F. I followed the flow chart, vacuumed the back of the fridge and the condenser. Checked the timer and defrost system,  all ok at this time. I found the top ¼ of the evaporator solid with hard shinny white ice (See Photo below) and a plugged drain. I used compressed air to clean out drain and had a good flow, defrosted evaporator. I’m now back in the safe zone in the fridge and everything appears to be cooling fine. Will this solve my issue or do I have another underling issue that will cause this issue again in the near future?

Again 12 year old Maytag Side By Side Fridge  PSD2450GRW

post-46902-0-80450500-1408480484_thumb.j

Edited by Squeaky Clean

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Update 6 hours later

post-46902-0-43579300-1408496419_thumb.j

Is the evaporator fan running?

1 person likes this

That frost pattern is a classic inop evap fan. Note the lack of frost accumulation at the bottom of the coil indicating that the defrost system is working.

Good Morning applianceman97,

Wow your an early riser (1:25 AM) :wink:  Thank you for responding, I thoroughly inspected both the condenser fan and the evaporator fan while cleaning them everything is A OK. Good strong air flow. This morning I woke up and the fridge temp has stabilized at 31 F ( Guess I should turn the temp up slightly?). My main question what causes this hard shinny ice on the top 1/4 of the evaporator?  Years ago I had to replace Timer and Defrost element due to a warm fridge, but I remember the evaporation was fully incased in white fluffy snow, but this time this ice was way above the heating element.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Samurai,

Thank you for responding, do you think the I might have a evaporator fan motor failing intermittently? I have been keeping an eye on that......the air flow is excellent (much better the newer fridge in my rental) Would it make sense to see of the motor has excessive amp draw?  How many amps should this little motor require under a normal load?    Thanks again!

P.S. Sorry to bother you with that email yesterday, I know your super busy.

post-46902-0-20769800-1408545052_thumb.j   Here is the reading on the thermometer  24 hours post repair.

Could also be a blocked return air duct.  I use my steamer and shoot some steam into the return duct in the FF side and look for it to come billowing out around the evaporator coil.  

I assume you mean that rectangular door with the clear plastic flapper down near the crispers?  I can see air movement against that clear strip of plastic.....I also removed the cover at the top right hand corner of the freezer to make sure there was no ice plugging that area as well. I guess I should remove the evaporator cover again and blow some steam through that lower opening from the fridge side, but it does appear to have air flow by the movement I see.

If the duct is open, then that leaves the conclusion that the evap fan is failing intermittently.  If that's the case, it will stop again.  Part number: AP4068982

Part number: AP4068982

ありがとうございます ー> かたじけない

arigatou gozaimasu -> katajikenai
Definition: Thank you