Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Warm Maytag Fridge PSD2450GRW

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Squeaky Clean

Squeaky Clean

Yamabushi

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Benchmark Bourbon (Old Number 8) on the rocks & glass of coke on the side

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:35 PM

Warm Maytag Fridge PSD2450GRW

I woke up to a warm fridge today. Fridge 55 degrees F, Freezer 0 degrees F. I followed the flow chart, vacuumed the back of the fridge and the condenser. Checked the timer and defrost system,  all ok at this time. I found the top ¼ of the evaporator solid with hard shinny white ice (See Photo below) and a plugged drain. I used compressed air to clean out drain and had a good flow, defrosted evaporator. I’m now back in the safe zone in the fridge and everything appears to be cooling fine. Will this solve my issue or do I have another underling issue that will cause this issue again in the near future?

Again 12 year old Maytag Side By Side Fridge  PSD2450GRW

Attached File  2014-08-19_10-57-48_276 (Small).jpg   80.6KB   0 downloads

Edited by Squeaky Clean, 19 August 2014 - 03:43 PM.

“I’m on a path of enlightenment and would like to become an appliance repair technician. I’m looking for any and all suggestions from those who have made this journey.”

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Squeaky Clean

Squeaky Clean

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Benchmark Bourbon (Old Number 8) on the rocks & glass of coke on the side

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

Update 6 hours later

Attached File  2014-08-19_19-31-27_496 (Small).jpg   65.09KB   0 downloads

“I’m on a path of enlightenment and would like to become an appliance repair technician. I’m looking for any and all suggestions from those who have made this journey.”

#3 applianceman97

applianceman97

Baby Sensei

• Grand Master Funk
  • 2,003 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Fresh Squeezed IPA

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:25 AM

Is the evaporator fan running?

Kicks major Samsung booty first, asks diagnostic questions later.

http://www.justintimeappliance.com

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:00 AM

That frost pattern is a classic inop evap fan. Note the lack of frost accumulation at the bottom of the coil indicating that the defrost system is working.

#5 Squeaky Clean

Squeaky Clean

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

Good Morning applianceman97,

Wow your an early riser (1:25 AM) :wink:  Thank you for responding, I thoroughly inspected both the condenser fan and the evaporator fan while cleaning them everything is A OK. Good strong air flow. This morning I woke up and the fridge temp has stabilized at 31 F ( Guess I should turn the temp up slightly?). My main question what causes this hard shinny ice on the top 1/4 of the evaporator?  Years ago I had to replace Timer and Defrost element due to a warm fridge, but I remember the evaporation was fully incased in white fluffy snow, but this time this ice was way above the heating element.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

#6 Squeaky Clean

Squeaky Clean

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:09 AM

Samurai,

Thank you for responding, do you think the I might have a evaporator fan motor failing intermittently? I have been keeping an eye on that......the air flow is excellent (much better the newer fridge in my rental) Would it make sense to see of the motor has excessive amp draw?  How many amps should this little motor require under a normal load?    Thanks again!

P.S. Sorry to bother you with that email yesterday, I know your super busy.

#7 Squeaky Clean

Squeaky Clean

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

Attached File  2014-08-20_09-10-31_166 (Small).jpg   69.75KB   0 downloads   Here is the reading on the thermometer  24 hours post repair.

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

Could also be a blocked return air duct.  I use my steamer and shoot some steam into the return duct in the FF side and look for it to come billowing out around the evaporator coil.  

#9 Squeaky Clean

Squeaky Clean

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:11 AM

I assume you mean that rectangular door with the clear plastic flapper down near the crispers?  I can see air movement against that clear strip of plastic.....I also removed the cover at the top right hand corner of the freezer to make sure there was no ice plugging that area as well. I guess I should remove the evaporator cover again and blow some steam through that lower opening from the fridge side, but it does appear to have air flow by the movement I see.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,633 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

If the duct is open, then that leaves the conclusion that the evap fan is failing intermittently.  If that's the case, it will stop again.  Part number: AP4068982

Part number: AP4068982

#11 Squeaky Clean

Squeaky Clean

Yamabushi

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

ありがとうございます ー> かたじけない

arigatou gozaimasu -> katajikenai
Definition: Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics