Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE sxs Fridge PSS27NSTCss Ice Dispenser not always working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 4everJAZZ

4everJAZZ

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:george killian (Irish Red)

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

Good day Forum... I am currently having an ongoingi ssue with a Ge sxs Fridge #PSS27NSTCSS. The ice dispenser is not working all the time. In fact, MOST of the time... but if you leave it alone for 15-20 mins., it Will distribute ice 1ce or 2ce... then STOP working again.

I looked at and tested the solonoid, the actuator, and switch. All are working properly and the rear solonoid, plunger all rear parts are working properly.

I read on an internet search that a similar situation required a MAIN control board replacement??? and I also read something about the Dispenser control board but have no info about 'PROVING' which board might be the problem.

Can anyone guide me in this??? I surely would appreciate your expertise and experience..... Thank You... 4Ever...JAZZ!!!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 4everJAZZ

4everJAZZ

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:00 PM

ALSO... The water is dispensing fine... No Problems there. Just the Ice.

WHEN it works... it only dispenses maaaaybe 2x. (got it to dispense 3 consecutive times 1ce). Then it Stops and wont dispense anymore unless you leave it alone for a while... then... MAY dispense again... and maybe not...... Moody.

THX.

#3 Squeaky Clean

Squeaky Clean

Yamabushi

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Benchmark Bourbon (Old Number 8) on the rocks & glass of coke on the side

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

I'm very new at this,  but 2 weeks ago I had a newer GE Fridge (not your specific model) with the same issue. I replaced the solenoid,  even though it tested well as I thought it might be an intermittent problem. Well long story short is was one of wires in the harness for the solenoid was broken, looked like it had been damaged in manufacturing. I guess the vibration of the buzzing solenoid would occasionally cause an open. Just food for thought.

Edited by Squeaky Clean, 20 August 2014 - 02:03 PM.

“I’m on a path of enlightenment and would like to become an appliance repair technician. I’m looking for any and all suggestions from those who have made this journey.”

#4 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

The motherboard is the most likely culprit of flaky dispenser operation.  Be sure to inspect the wire harness connection for the freezer door for damage or corrosion.

Here's a quick and easy test of a faulty motherboard.  Open the fresh food door, hold the door switch closed, and verify air flow at the diffuser.  With the freezer door closed, press the ice dispenser.  If the evaporator fan and/or compressor shut off, you have a shorted motherboard.

#5 4everJAZZ

4everJAZZ

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:52 AM

THX Pduff for the board check info. Im gonna try that bit of advice... Do u know about checking the dispenser/ IM  board?

BTW.... I looked at the wiring too but couldn't see any breakages. THX.

#6 4everJAZZ

4everJAZZ

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

Hello Forum.. I nedded to refresh this topic, as I am still looking for more advice and expertise. I have not yet... gone back to change out Any Boards, so am looking for any and all input before I do. Thanks in Advance...... 4Ever JAZZ!!!

#7 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,439 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

The water inlet valves and augur motor are all controlled by the muthaboard.  You could put the control into diagnostic mode to check for a communications error between the dispenser board (just a user input board) and the muthaboard.  Chances are, you won't find anything wrong, which again leads to the conclusion of a bad mutahboard.  Part number: AP4436216

Part number: AP4436216

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics