Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Jenn Air jfc2089wep2 leaking water

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wallish gator

wallish gator

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Innis +Gunn

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:19 AM

Great site! Thanks for your help with your easy Fixing a Clogged Defrost Drain Check Valve video.

The grommet was sealed shut so I cleaned and notched. However I still have ice build up on the floor of the freezer with no other ice build up.  Did  I maybe push the grommet up too far on drain line or it seems it might be the condensate drain that requires this fix- -Fixing an Iced-Up Bottom-Mount Freezer in a Maytag-Whirlpool Refrigerator......?

Thanks

/WG

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,437 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

Did you remove the evaporator cover in the freezer and clear the ice using a steamer or hot water?  The final test is to pour water directly into the drain and make sure it drains into the condensate pan underneath.  Then install the P-Trap drain:

You can buy it here: Part number: AP5780744

Part number: AP5780744

#3 wallish gator

wallish gator

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for the quick reply:) I haven't removed the evaporator cover in the freezer and cleared the ice as I wanted to avoid this painful step ....but it seems it's a necessary evil. I take it how I placed the notched grommet makes no difference.. but I do recall a comment that the grommet was placed  too high to work properly....?

Thanks Again!

/WG

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,437 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

This video shows the tear down

And this one shows the trick for removing the upper shelf

#5 lvasquez11

lvasquez11

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

I froce unit into defrost n use a steamer  to defrost frozen drian after repair. Always avoiding having to dismattle freezer rails n readjusting roller cams on rails 

#6 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for the quick reply:) I haven't removed the evaporator cover in the freezer and cleared the ice as I wanted to avoid this painful step ....but it seems it's a necessary evil. I take it how I placed the notched grommet makes no difference.. but I do recall a comment that the grommet was placed  too high to work properly....?

Thanks Again!

/WG

There is a very easy thing you can to instead of disassemble the back cover..... So simple....  Open the fridge door and freezer door and unplug the unit.  Let it sit for 3 or 4 days, and then plug it back in.   You will be good to go....  If this isn't an option (which most likely it isn't)  you'll be needing to remove that back cover and manually defrost that ice!

Good Luck

MicaBay

I froce unit into defrost n use a steamer  to defrost frozen drian after repair. Always avoiding having to dismattle freezer rails n readjusting roller cams on rails 

How do you deal with the ice ball build up on the cap tube without taking that back cover off?

#7 lvasquez11

lvasquez11

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:31 PM

41y7aO-T-4L._SY355_.jpg

#8 lvasquez11

lvasquez11

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:37 PM

worth every penny when it comes to defrosting drians / Frosted Evap coils /  Frozen fill tubes / Frozen Supply/Return vents 

If you dont have one in your work van .  

Once you go with steamer you don't go back!!

i was born at night but not last night!!!

mama didn't raise no fool  !!!!!

#9 wallish gator

wallish gator

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

thanks everyone for your advice!  might do the unplugging for 4 days..what type of steamer do you recommend for ball build up on the cap tube? this one was recommended on this site but there is no stock available.....http://amzn.to/OPggAo

There is a very easy thing you can to instead of disassemble the back cover..... So simple....  Open the fridge door and freezer door and unplug the unit.  Let it sit for 3 or 4 days, and then plug it back in.   You will be good to go....  If this isn't an option (which most likely it isn't)  you'll be needing to remove that back cover and manually defrost that ice!

Good Luck

MicaBay

How do you deal with the ice ball build up on the cap tube without taking that back cover off?

41y7aO-T-4L._SY355_.jpg

#10 lvasquez11

lvasquez11

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:37 PM

No Customer would want to shut off unit for that long.   If i replaced Defective Jazz Brd i will take unit apart to fully defrost with steamer. But never for a frozen defrost drian >  

scunci steamer   many other brands out there.  Google 

#11 wallish gator

wallish gator

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

No Customer would want to shut off unit for that long.   If i replaced Defective Jazz Brd i will take unit apart to fully defrost with steamer. But never for a frozen defrost drian >  

thank you for your help:)

#12 MicaBay

MicaBay

Master Roaster

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Drifter Pale Ale

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

And none of our customers are given that option.... just a little advice to a possible DIYer on the internet.  

I think I misread your post earlier.  for some reason, I read it as you leaving that back evap cover on and just getting the drain cleared....  my bad.

#13 wallish gator

wallish gator

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

Hi me again... Do I  still have to remove the back wall inside the freezer and rails and remove ice maker to get to frozen condensate drain....? ( I just  replaced grommet with the condensate drain p trap) Just needed clarification on what you meant  by avoid dismantling freezer rails and readjust roller cams .....

thanks for any input you can offer

#14 lvasquez11

lvasquez11

Sōhei

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

just clear area aound drian / the rest will be taken care with forced defrost 

#15 wallish gator

wallish gator

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:18 PM

just clear area aound drian / the rest will be taken care with forced defrost 

thx for the quick reply!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics