Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Sub Zero 590 Water Leak

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 docbailey

docbailey

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Alaskan amber

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

Two weeks ago I began noticing an intermittent water leak on the wood floor beneath my 17 year old Sub Zero Model 590 refrigerator.  Not every day, mind you, and the amount of water was relatively small.  I checked the water inlet valve and copper supply line - no leaks there.  

I had a water leak about a year previously - turned out to be a cracked / fried 1/4" plastic supply line near the dual water valve up top.  Heat from the compressor had damaged the line, which I replaced.  I checked that and the no evidence of a leak from up top.  I checked the 2 plastic water lines leaving the dual water valve an both look OK.

I checked the defrost trough on the fridge side since a number of posters to this forum have mentioned that as an issue.  The trough and drain tube look fine - no water build up there.

I checked the ice maker, which seems to be operating normally.  I checked the fill tube for an ice blockage but it looks normal.  There looks to be heating element around the fill tube - any idea on how I can check that the heater is still functional?

After a leak last night, I noticed a water puddle at the very back of the unit (next to the wall) on the left hand side.  To check that out, I will have to roll out this massive beast from inside the cabinetry.   Not a job I am looking forward to.  Any idea what could be causing this leak?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,832 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

It could be the house water line to the refrigerator that is leaking. At 17 years old, it might need to be replaced.

Scott Wolf

#3 docbailey

docbailey

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Alaskan amber

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

The water line looks OK.

I think I may have found the problem...I manually initiated a defrost cycle by turning the defrost timer wheel until it clicked.  The freezer defrost heater came on, but the freezer drain trough heater never got warm.  I stepped out of the kitchen to look up the part numbers...and when I cam back there was a huge puddle on the floor beneath the freezer section. When I looked around under the unit, I noticed a drip coming from a plastic  tube which looks light it might be cracked...which I am guessing is the freezer drain tube, part # 1601400.

Has anyone seen problem with this tube before?  Or could it be an ice plug at the top of the tube inside the freezer caused by the non-functional drain heater?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics