Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

kenmore dryer model 11064842400 heats up but wont start.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 alamo3

alamo3

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:coke zero

Posted Yesterday, 06:19 PM

turn dryer to any cycle including air dry and the heating element comes on(can feel the heat and with door open and door switch depressed can see the element glowing orange) but push start and it will not start and doesnt try to start. The only thing that happens when you hit start is the timer makes an audible click. the only way to make the heat stop is to turn timer to any of the "off" positions. Any ideas?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 MA tech.

MA tech.

Sōhei

• Professional Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Amstel Light

Posted Yesterday, 07:55 PM

Sounds like the heater is grounding out. If so likely took out the thermal cutout.

#3 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:14 PM

If the thermal cutoff was blown, then there would be no power to the heat coil. Sounds like you have multiple problems. Heat coil coming on when just timer is turned on could be a grounded heat element but that wouldn't prevent motor from starting. Heat in air fluff indicates a bad timer. Does the motor hum at all when you press the start button?

Eric

#4 alamo3

alamo3

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:coke zero

Posted Yesterday, 08:22 PM

thanks for responding and that makes sense on the heater and as far as the thermal cutout isconcerned if you mean that  high limit that mounts at the top of the heater can some guy had already bypassed it. ( I guess it was the guy she had out 3 times in 2 weeks about 2 months back that she said: " kept putting on something called thermal cutouts on it and the last time said he wouldnt put on another unless we had vent cleaned. Had a proffessional vent cleaning company come out and clean dryer vent and he came back""" I assume from what I saw he didnt trust the vent clean and was determined not to "adopt" this dryer for life. Been almost that frustrated before myself but never could quite pull the trigger on leaving that as a "fix" for more than a quick overnight emergency.  If you meant the thermal fuse over on the blower side ,yeah that is what i fully expected to find (so much so that i came with one in hand) but it tests to be good. I realize now after reading my original post is that it sounded like i was more concerned about the heater problem but my main question is ideas on the no start situation. also i didnt accurately describe the noise the timer makes when i oush start instead of a single click its more of a clickety ,click,click like 2 to 4 clicks in rapid succession

No fairbank no hum of motor only multiple clicks from timer

#5 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:51 PM

Sounds like you at least have a faulty timer. Heat should not come on in air dry. Also, faulty timer contacts can prevent motor from starting and the noise you hear in the timer when trying to start the motor may be contact arcing. You need to check to see if the heater element is grounded and/or the motor switch is faulty.

Eric

Part number: AP3100522

Part number: AP3100522

Edited by fairbank56, Yesterday, 09:52 PM.

#6 MA tech.

MA tech.

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Amstel Light

Posted Yesterday, 10:48 PM

An open thermal fuse would not eliminate the potential for a grounded heater. If the thermal fuse on the blower housing is open and the heater coil is coming in contact with the frame/ housing the heater can absolutely heat when dryer is not running. Doesn't sound like a timer. problem to me. I would make sure you check the heater for grounds.

#7 fairbank56

fairbank56

Senpai

• PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted Today, 07:32 AM

Thermal fuse and thermal cutoff are two different things. Thermal fuse is in motor circuit, not heat circuit. If thermal cutoff is blown, there is no power to the heat coil so even if it is grounded, it won't come on unless the motor heat switch is stuck closed and if that was stuck closed, the heat coil would be on all the time regardless if timer is on or not.

Eric

#8 bayouboy

bayouboy

Sōhei

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Abita Beer Purple Haze

Posted Today, 08:50 AM

the push to start switch may bad causing the dryer not to start. and it sounds like the element is shorted.

whirlpool-switch-push-to-3404233-ap29751

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics