LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

No upcoming events found

I think A/C Capacitor is bad but want to make sure

cmulder

Okay a few years ago I had a bad capacitor on the A/C and replaced it had no problems since.  Today I noticed it warm in the house and the fan and condenser were not running.  Let it cool down--first thing I did was check the capacitor.  I put my Fluke 115 on micro farads (100 setting) and checked the Herm (condenser) and it read 50.5.  The capacitor is rated 55 - 5.  I checked the fan and it was zero.  The capacitor looks fine--last one the cap was blown up.  Not being 100% sure I wanted to check here before going an purchasing a new capacitor.   I switched the A/C back on after two hours and the condenser started but no fan running so I turned it off.  So it SEEMS it is the capacitor.  Is there any way to be sure?

I attached the photos showing the reading on the common to Herms and common to fan.  Tried is a number of times same readings.

Hurry up-its supposed to be 97 today in Southern California! :wacko::beach:

post-95884-0-64793200-1410896331_thumb.j

post-95884-0-58151600-1410896384_thumb.j

Edited by cmulder

Oh--and the model is a Payne AA1CJ060-A A/C and a Rayton Capacitor Model No. 2MEA8A if it matters.

Edited by cmulder

• 3 weeks later...

Late to the party on this .... But most capacitors these days are a lot like light bulbs. They will go bad in "X" number of run hours.most of the time less than X . 

If you look up the old GE data on their capacitors, they are rated at 10,000 hours or more.( down here may that  be 8 years or so) 

The cheaper aftermarket  ones may fail almost instantly from time to time.  

I've never really understood why no supplier carries  GE capacitors( besides oem replacements) . Ge caps last the longest .   

About AMRAD capacitors........ That is the only brand I will carry now on the truck (because they don't break) and I try to get others to follow suit, however, understand that there is, or (was) a Chinese version of that brand.  make sure to look for the american flag on the box!!  AMRAD had many failed caps with the asian  made  units in southern US climates. The Johnstone location in New Orleans where I get them from "tries" not to carry the non us version .....but that don't always happen  .

• Like 1

True. The GE and Amrad do have the highest rating for capacitors. All the capacitors I get off the website listed above have been made in USA. I've also had luck with the Titan HD which are also made in the USA. Packard makes the Titan HD. On an occasion I get those from a local electrical motor repair shop. Helping a small business and buying USA made :)

I didn't mention the GE caps before because if I'm not mistaken they aren't made in the USA. That's just me though lol.

Edited by BryanS

• 3 years later...