Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Washer 110.92060120

kenmore washer top-loader

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rodney

rodney

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Young's Double Chocolate Stout

Posted Yesterday, 09:49 PM

I have a Kenmore top-loader washer, model number 110.92060120. It's old, but I don't want to get a new one because the new ones don't work as well.

However, the ol' Kenmore here isn't working well at all these days. It will fill up with water but will not agitate, will not spin, and will not drain.

I cannot seem to find the cause. Here are my findings so far:

1. The lid switch works great. Tested it out with a multi-meter as well as unplugged it and shorted the connector coming from the control panel with a loop of wire.

2. Examined the drain pump. Disconnected it and flushed out the water. Rotates easily. No foreign opbject found.

3. Examined the timer. After the washer control is turned on while in cycle, the washer fills up with water, then the timer progresses through its paces, ultimately reaching "OFF". However, no agitation or spinning or draining occurs on the way to "OFF". I replaced the timer in case the electrical outputs were not proper, but this did not fix the problem. I'm returning the replacement timer.

4. Listened to the motor. The motor does not spin, No humming or grinding is heard.

5. Examined the drive coupler. It is intact. When the motor and coupler are installed but the drain pump is removed, I can freely turn the shaft of the motor by hand. I can use a cordless drill to drive the motor shaft. Driving it one way will cause the washer to spin; driving it the other way by reversing the drill will cause the washer to agitate.This works as expected.

6. I examined the capacitor by eye. I saw no expansion bumps on the ends. I saw no leakage of the electrolyte.

I confess that once while carrying out the investigations described above, the washer began to work again, worked properly until timer reached "OFF", only to become its stubborn self once again. I haven't been able to replicate the experience. So intermittent at best; still inoperative at worst.

So what else do you suggest?  How can I check the motor's health with my multi-meter or other equipment? Motor start switch? Capacitor problem?

Thanks for any ideas you may offer,

Rodney

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics