Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

#253.55679407 no power to compresor after replacing ADC

adaptive defrost

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bonesandfeathers

bonesandfeathers

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:what are you pouring

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:44 PM

My 13 year old S X S stopped cooling last wek. There were no mitigating signs of failure, the evaportator fan ran but apparently the the compresor was not being told it wa o.k. to ru.
I have power to the violet and white to the ff cold control, and the power path has continuity to the freezer Control.. The lights are on nad the evaporator fan is running when i turn on the FF cold control.
there is no power to J6 off the the ADC., the compressor ohs out normal as far as i can remember.
I was a tech for Sears did 22,26,46. but that was 25 years ago, worked a couple of independents. but IBM maade me a better offer.
so here I am with what loks like a stuck defrost but I haven't been able to make it talk to me....Did I mention my wife is giving me the "arte you done with that, yet look. If i'm gonna save my beeer money I need to fix this , like yesterday

Any and all help is geatly appreciated.

Paul out by Disneyland

PS....if there are previous posts concerning this please feel fre to point me to them instead of retyping it over and over

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 bonesandfeathers

bonesandfeathers

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:49 PM

I've been wondering
is there a compressor relay in this mix somewhere/ That J6 wire is pretty weiny to try and fire up a compressor.

just sayin

#3 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:39 PM

Have you checked the start device for continuity or voltage?

#4 bonesandfeathers

bonesandfeathers

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:55 AM

I have an 80 HLP compressor how do i remove the start device w/o causing undue harm to the fridge, or my self. Do I test this in place or remove it.

All help is greatly appreciated

#5 PDuff

PDuff

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Bud Ice (Yeah, I know)

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:28 AM

Remove rear unit access cover and locate the start device mounted on the side of the compressor.  Should be able to check for proper voltage at the two wires supplying voltage to the start device without unplugging the connector.  If voltage is present, de-energize refrigerator and remove device and capacitor from the compressor.  Check for continuity across the two uppermost terminal receptacles, should read closed.  Check continuity from the lower receptacle to one of the two outside wire terminals.  One should read closed.

While back there you can check resistance of the compressor run and start windings.

Note:  Even if the start device (relay) checks good, it can still prove faulty under a load.

#6 bonesandfeathers

bonesandfeathers

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:54 AM

the lil bugger is on the left side of the compresser on the left side of reefer, conveniently located behind, the cap tube, and water lines.
i'll get back to you

#7 bonesandfeathers

bonesandfeathers

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:35 PM

No power to the start relay.
Found it was easier to remove the cap and relay to get the incoming power wires off w/o incurring unneeded wear and tear on my brain. I have big hands. I'm 6' 3" and about that wide.
I often wondered why i ever did appliance repair. Squeezing my self into a S X S freezer was painfully amusiing

#8 bonesandfeathers

bonesandfeathers

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

OK you ready for this?
The ADC i bought was bad outta da box.
There is a little appliance repair and sales place couple of blocks from the house. I paid their tech $20 to come out and look at my disemboweled reefer.
Long story short he had an ADC on his truck, and when it was pluged ind lo and behold it worked. So I thanked him and returned the ADC for exchange.
I've been dealing with this supply place since the beginning of time, and tis is the first bad part i've gotten.
i'm going to hang out and se if i can't upgrade my repair skills. TTyall oater

#9 bonesandfeathers

bonesandfeathers

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:32 AM

I replaced the faulty adaptive defrost control, to fix the no cooling in the  fridge, turned out my replacement was no good. I ement this afternoon. The compressor and condensor fan are running, but they don't appear to be doing much. The fridge has been running over eight hours and it's still warm.

Any bright ideas

#10 bonesandfeathers

bonesandfeathers

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted Today, 10:51 AM

There is a little appliance sales and repair place down the street, I paid their tech $20 to diagnose my "no power" problem. We dicked around with the reefer for a while he was asking the questions you might expect to hear.  He goes out to his truck and comes in with another ADC, power it off , change ADC, power on,compressor  and condenser fan come on. I thanked him for his time, paid him, then took my replacement ADC back and got a replacement.
Now the compressor runs but it isn't cooling, and the air damper is opening and closing, opening and closing.
So my questions are. The compressor is quiet, and i can feel it running, how can i tell if it has passed on besides the obvious, no cold.
And what's making the damper gape like a carp?
All ideas are greatly appreciated

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics